PDA

View Full Version : Standard Modern Model Question

RussZHC
10-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Anyone familiar enough with Standard Modern designations to explain what the "LD" differences are compared to similar size SM machines?

ammcoman2
10-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Can't find anything in my documents but I believe there is a "Navy" or "Army" operating manual available on-line for these machines. Nothing on Tony Griffith's site though.

Could it be something to do with a hardened bed version? On my 1120 there is a threading depth stop in the cross slide with the flip up lever in the front of the saddle. Never seen any reference to it so am not sure if it wasn't done by the school shop that was the original owner. The problem is that an "LD" designation doesn't make sense in either.

Geoff

RussZHC
10-16-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm sort of in "pre-lim" mode, keeping an eye open for another lathe...space/electrical/location etc. all play a role and for me, it keeps coming up "Standard Modern"...some of the models look visually no different one to the other BUT what I would not want to do is find one and find out after the fact (like just after getting it home ;) ) its either a bit of an oddball or a slightly different choice could have reaped a better features list...there are a couple on Kijiji right now that would be of interest but I am waiting until spring [no room with current lathe here]
Tony's site does list a separate series of manuals for the "LD", so...

ammcoman2
10-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Late last night I found one on Kijiji - a 1230 LD Utilathe. When I was hunting for a bigger lathe than the 920 I had at the time, I looked at one very similar to the one in the ad. I didn't buy it since the spindle bore was about 1" and the T/S taper was 2MT. I believe this series was in production from the 1950's to early 60's but stand corrected.

The one I now have is the Series 2000, 1120 built in 1968. It has a 1.5" spindle bore, 5MT spindle taper and has a 3MT taper in the tailstock spindle.

Re the "LD" designation, I wonder if the spacer blocks under the headstock which gives it the extra swing from the original 10" version meant "large diameter".

If you call LeBlond http://www.leblondusa.com/ and give them the serial number they can tell the build date.

Good luck.

Geoff

bill c
07-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Anyone familiar enough with Standard Modern designations to explain what the "LD" differences are compared to similar size SM machines?

hi, LD stands for light duty