PDA

View Full Version : Belt speed

Stepside
10-18-2011, 12:10 PM
I am in the starting/design stages of building a 1/2 x 12 inch mini belt sander.
This is a job specific machine and I can't find what I want. So my question is "what is the correct SFPM for a belt sander? What factors do I have to consider as far as speed? The present Job would be 1/2 hard Brass with a possibility of Aluminum in the future.

Another consideration would be air motor or electric motor.

Thanks in advance
Pete

darryl
10-19-2011, 01:20 AM
As a rough figure for belt speed, our belt sander at work uses 4 inch diameter drive drums running directly from a 3600 rpm motor- that works out to a belt speed of about 15 ft/second. When the belt is new you can remove material fairly quickly, but once it's worn or loaded up, you can easily burn wood with it.

I think the belt itself could easily handle 3 times that speed, but there's going to be a point where small items would simply heat up too fast. Plastic would melt, wood would burn, and steel would burn your fingers trying to hold on to it. If you were sanding things to a sharp edge, I think you'd want to be going slower- a guess, but I'd say maybe 5 ft/second.

Looking around a bit, I'm seeing belt speeds from about 1000 ft/min to 2000 ft/min, or about 15 to 30 ft/second.

RWO
10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
As a rough figure for belt speed, our belt sander at work uses 4 inch diameter drive drums running directly from a 3600 rpm motor- that works out to a belt speed of about 15 ft/second. ft/min, or about 15 to 30 ft/second.

The above data actually works out to about 3770 ft./min.

I run my 1" x 42" belt grinder at 4500 ft/min. when I'm going for max. cut It
has a VFD so I can slow down when I need better precision.

RWO