PDA

View Full Version : Best method or product to remove paint from machinery?

T.Hoffman
10-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Now that the base of my Rockwell 11" has been stripped, prep'd, and painted, I'm ready to move on to the actual parts of the lathe.

What's the best way of removing old paint? I've heard oven cleaner works- does this attack the metal at all?

thistle
10-19-2011, 07:09 PM
boil in TSP in a barrel.

Ohio Mike
10-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I prefer Citrus Strip gel. Its available from Lowes or Home Depot etc. I buy it in the 1/2 gallon jugs and brush it on with an old used paint brush. That $20 half gallon goes a long way.

lane
10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Lye and water .Heat to 180 degrees . Tie parts on a wire. DO Not Do Not get it own you . It will burn to the bone. Wash of with clear water while hot.

wierdscience
10-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Needle scalers make quick work of peeling paint and will find any loose stuff laying in wait.

For the really nasty paint that won't yeild aircraft paint stripper-

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KLS0/AR322.oap?ck=Search_N0483_-1_-1&pt=N0483&ppt=C0171

J Tiers
10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Oven cleaner is just very expensive Lye......

Peel-Away #1 is gelled lye, fairly cheap in good-sized buckets, and does very well. I also like Peel-Away #7, which is a bit higher, but is non-damaging to skin, and easier to use.

sasquatch
10-19-2011, 08:58 PM
If this is a "Complete Dismantle" to refinish, why not a sand blast?

Edwin Dirnbeck
10-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I used sray on oven cleaner from the dollar store ,works good only cost a dollar. Edwin Dirnbeck

SGW
10-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Lye works well...except on aluminum. Lye will attack aluminum and eat it away generating, I think, hydrogen gas in the process. On steel, cast iron, etc., it's quite effective.

I have boiled parts in water that has a squirt of heavy-duty detergent in it. I was surprised when that treatment sometimes removed the paint as well as the grease and dirt, which were my intended targets.

Lu47Dan
10-19-2011, 10:41 PM
POR-Strip, (http://www.por15.com/POR-STRIP/productinfo/RSG/) worked on paint Citrus Strip would not touch. It is not as cheap as Citrus Strip but the does the job with less.
I have used caustic soda/lye/ sodium hydroxide and water heated to clean really nasty parts it works well to remove caked on dust and grease, paint and some metals. I have a tank partially built to clean my crawler parts, for instance the center frame of the crawler is really, really nasty. :eek: :eek: Caked on engine oil, transmission oil, dust, grass, clutch disk dust and mouse droppings on the inside of the casting. The center frame will be hung with the bell housing down so that the solution will rise through the center frame housing and eat the greasy sh!t out of it. Then I will skim the slime off the top of the water and dispose of it.
Dan

T.Hoffman
10-19-2011, 11:52 PM
If this is a "Complete Dismantle" to refinish, why not a sand blast?

Excellent thought.

...if I had a sandblaster. ;)

That is "on the list".

Black Forest
10-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Just take the parts to a pro sandblaster or sodablaster and be done with it. Put the heavy parts on an open trailer and let them blast the big parts right on the trailer. It is best to borrow your friends trailer and not use your own as there will be some blasting that hits the trailer no matter how careful they are!!!

thistle
10-20-2011, 08:41 AM
why would you want to sand blast lathe components unless you feel like rescraping everythiing ?

As i said, use a solution of TSP, boil ,then remove clean degreased de painted metal parts.
TSP is mildly caustic however doesnt have the danger of using sodium hydroxide.

paint stripper is time consuming and nasty.

SGW
10-20-2011, 08:53 AM
I assume one would mask the machined and scraped surfaces with rubber tape or similar before sandblasting.

Black Forest
10-20-2011, 09:47 AM
All you need is duct tape on any parts you don't want profiled. Duct tape is the sandblasters friend and enemy. Works perfect to protect the area's you want but is a bitch to get off. We used it to protect the hydraulic shafts on big pumps on frac and concrete pumping rigs for the oil industry. I used 1000 cubic feet per minute compressors to sandblast these rigs and never damaged anything.

sasquatch
10-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Exactly,,, You don,t sandblast machined surfaces.

ammcoman2
10-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I used "Citrus orange" to get the paint off my 60 year old Ammco shaper. One caveat: don't leave it on too long as it then softens the filler which has to be replaced. It never gets hard again. This was the white body filler used back in those days. About 20 minutes or so seemed the best.

Geoff

macona
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Aircraft remover. Spray it on, 30 seconds later paint starts falling off. I used it on my lathe.

saltmine
10-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Let it sit out in the desert for a few years.

atty
10-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Let it sit out in the desert for a few years.

That just makes you forget what color it was to start with. :rolleyes: