PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a corded drill prefer 24ov or 110v what would you recommend

Alistair Hosie
10-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I just bought my son anice metabo khd24sds drill and a smaller makita one for my other son what should I be on the look out for I am currently looking at the metabo khe 240v 750w sds and the Dewalt D 250 13k what would you guys recommend? Alistair

macona
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Dewalts are, well, meh...

I would go Bosch, then Metabo or Milwaukee.

SGW
10-21-2011, 03:03 PM
If you can get it, a 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter.

If that is too big, it also comes as a 3/8" chuck model.

mike os
10-21-2011, 03:32 PM
metabo, makita, bosch Professional.... avoid yellow ( in the words of my supplier who is a national repair center for all the major brands & will not stock yellow tools.. they are approved yellow tool repairers, but still have trouble getting parts from YKH)

If for site work then 110v otherwise 240 is far easier.

MasterMaker
10-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Hitachi used to have 5 year warantee on their corded tools, don't know if that's still the case.

I would go for a metabo, they are generally pretty bombproof and it's the choice of both a local tool and machine rental place as well as a local machineshop, both places gives them plenty of abuse but they just keep on working.

Or you could go for an AEG ergomax(or the Milwaukee version).

I have this one(AEG) and it is an absolute brute, you will never have a power problem with it and if you remove the chuck there is a bit holder underneath.

Alistair Hosie
10-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Can an sds chuck hold standard drills or not or can it be converted to do so??? Alistair

MrSleepy
10-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Can an sds chuck hold standard drills or not or can it be converted to do so??? Alistair

Yes.. For my SDS drills I have a Jacobs chuck mounted onto a little stub arbor that the SDS mechanism latches on to..

The little arbor is not long enough to impact with the hammer piston..so you only get rotary motion using it.

a bosch version of this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JACOBS-USA-KEYLESS-CHUCK-SDS-PLUS-ARBOUR-NEW-/250584676531?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3a5802b8b3)

Rob

SDL
10-23-2011, 02:41 PM

You can get std type chucks on a SDS shank.

I have Hitachi, picked them as local hire shop uses them and I was impressed when I hired them so bought my own.

Steve Larner

aboard_epsilon
10-23-2011, 02:41 PM
most of them come with a converter in the case ..

The cheap Chinese ones are too harsh ..the piston strokes are too long ..and they shatter the bricks ..in drilling mode

best one i seen was a Bosch sds one ...that doesn't have the motor hanging below it ...piston strokes are short ..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gbh-2-26dre-2kg-sds-plus-drill-230v/73560

although I'm not a fan of Bosch ..i would try and get a Makita or Hitachi ..make sure the Hitachi is made in japan for the best

Remember there is a DIY range of Makita and Hitachi ..try to get the pro range

all the best.markj

mike os
10-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Metabo do several with quick change removable chucks if you prefer.... but not cheap

Timleech
10-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I have a number of Metabo corded & cordless tools, generally like them. The one corded drill I have, don't remember the model but it's a fairly low-speed rotary-only job, broke teeth on the chuck key in no time at all. Basically a good tool despite that.

Tim

pturner
10-29-2011, 01:39 AM
I know the thread is a bit old, but my office has purchased several hundred hammer drills from 3/8" B&D to $1400 spline drives. For the typical requirement of tapcons to 1/2" sleave anchors, nothing beats the bosch SDS hammer, the nicer of the two inline units with the red and black hammer/hammerdrill/drill switch. Nowdays, every big box hardware store and Ace carries SDS bits.

Hilti might make a nicer drill for twice the money, but the bosch is definitally best value. I used mine recently to install 1100 tapcons and 56 1/2" sleave anchors in heavy grouted block. Went through a dozen bits. It's got a neat hook for hanging from a ladder or 2x4, and a durable case with plenty of room for spare bits and a box of tapcons. In fact, the Bosch SDS drill index is a good deal to get with the drill. The ergonomics are great, and the thing is light. Female techs have no issues using the drill.

I'm sure at some point it will top out, but I've drilled 5/8" holes and I've got a spline for bigger stuff.