PDA

View Full Version : Atlas 6x18,Sears 101-21400 Lathe

flylo
10-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I just picked one of these up & the more I learn about the more I like it. I have a 13x40 Import gap Bed, Gear Head lathe but this little on really has class. I also live by Kalamazoo & found that many parts are still available at Clausing in Goshen In. only 50 miles south. Does anyone else have one of these? I also have an Atlas wood lathe/grill press from before 1920 & one of thier last tools a small metal cutting horiz/vertical band saw. New tools are great, but like airplanes I like the old stuff. :D :D

wooleybooger
10-22-2011, 01:04 AM
i have the craftsman version of the 6x18 and use it quite a bit. i also have a rockwell 14x40. i like the craftsman for small,fine work because i can get close to the spinning chuck with a magnifying glass and not worry too much about getting my shirt ripped off. i went thru mine and replaced a bunch of parts and it works great if you dont overload it. i once saw a pic on the net of 6 of these lathes on a large table,3 to a side,back to back, with 6 women operators. rough stock started at lathe #1 and when it came off lathe #6 it was a part for a Norden bomb sight in WW2.

borne2fly
10-22-2011, 03:12 AM
I also have a little 6x18 (Atlas, I believe, and relabeled by Sears?). It came complete with all the gears and attachments. I added a little Aloris wedge toolpost (smaller than the AXA) and a Bison 3-jaw chuck, and I use it for small stuff only. Got it dialed in last week so that it cuts straight (virtually no taper) in nearly a foot, and it cuts beautifully. Part of the trick was to leave the tailstock gibb a little loose to move it around and snug it up when the tailstock is approximately where you want to use it. Ditto for tightening the tailstock quill clamp.

spongerich
10-22-2011, 09:18 AM
My first lathe was the little Craftsman 109. Cute little machine that just wanted to work, but it was just too damn small and I eventually lost patience.

I ended up trading up to an Atlas 101. I was a little reluctant to get another "mini" lathe after the 109, but she was dirt cheap, so I figured it was worth a shot. What a huge improvement... the 109 was a toy that looked like a lathe. The 101 is an actual lathe writ small.

I've since traded for a South Bend 9 which I'm finding to be wonderful, but if you're tight on space, the 101 is a pretty nice little machine as long as you understand its limitations and respect its size.