PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable digital caliper?????

rbertalotto
10-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Anyone know of a digital caliper with a rechargable battery. Seems everytime I go to use my Mitutoyo caliper the battery is dead of dying.

I'm sick and tired of buying those little button batteries.

Any ideas?

Steelspinner76
10-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I take the battery out of mine if i'm not using it. otherwise it seems to go dead as you have said. theres a little cutout in the case for a spare battery and i just stick the batt from the caliper in it. seems to stay charged then.

Wayne

uncle pete
10-29-2011, 05:52 PM
It seems odd that your having battery life problems with Mitutoyo digital equipment. My Mitutoyo mikes. last well over 2 and sometimes 3 years on a battery. But I'd love to find recharageable SR-71 batterys. I figured that a pair of 6" calpers were about the most used measureing tool in my shop and bought their solar powered ones. Without a doubt the nicest and most accurate calipers I've used. That doesn't help your problem though. If your not using the proper SR-71s then the battery life is real poor. "As good as SR-71s" aren't.

Pete

MotorradMike
10-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I've had a Mitutoyo 6" digimatic since Y2K and don't remember ever changing the battery.

Did you check the dollar store?
Those batteries are worth almost nothing.
If you buy them at a photography store you're going to get screwed.

MichaelP
10-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I second (third?:)) Pete's and Mike's observations. Mitutoyo calipers are extremely well made energy conservation wise. At least, 2-3 years out of a single battery is what I'd expect. Unless you let it freeze senselessly.

danlb
10-29-2011, 08:37 PM
There are many batteries that fit the voltage and the size / shape for your caliper. If you are getting alkaline batteries (LR) they will die within a year, If they are cheap imports, they can be any chemistry and will die even quicker. If they are silver oxide (start with SR) they will last at least a year, maybe several in a Miyutoyo.

Dan

uncle pete
10-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Dan nailed it, I couldn't remember the proper battery type. I'd almost bet that's your issue unless you had a internal problem that needed repair.

Pete

darryl
10-29-2011, 09:37 PM
You got a chinese battery with only a fraction of the capacity that it should have. It's also self-discharging just by sitting, because the chemistry is either contaminated or not well enough refined, or both. Buy the ones made in Japan- costlier to start with, but cheaper in the long run.

And because I don't like digital calipers, I'll say no more.

vpt
10-29-2011, 09:44 PM
My mitsu battery has been good for about 5 years now and I forget and leave it on all the time. The battery light thingy has been on now for a couple weeks and I have left it on over night twice since the low battery thing is lit up. Still works fine, used it today. I do need to remember to get a battery for it though.

rbertalotto
10-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Interesting! I'll have to check what brand of battery I have in mine. But I certainly don't get a year out of them and I have two Mitys that I bought a few years ago.

Bill736
10-30-2011, 12:01 AM
If it's any consolation, my Harbor Freight 4 inch digital caliper also eats batteries , even name brand silver oxide ones. (Yeah, I know...I got what I paid for.)
In my shop, I use my 6 inch Mitutoyo dial calipers , but for buying materials out of the shop I use the cheapies, since they fit into my shirt pocket and are no disaster if they're lost. Actually, I've never found any lack of accuracy with the HF cheapie.

vpt
10-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Interesting! I'll have to check what brand of battery I have in mine. But I certainly don't get a year out of them and I have two Mitys that I bought a few years ago.

When I pull my old battery I will check for any manufacture markings and let you know what I find.

vpt
10-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Is it possible you guys with quick dying batteries have a small metal chip or something inside of the caliper grounding out the battery killing it quicker then usual?

I have taken mine apart a couple times now to clean it and was surprised by the amount of junk in it.

MichaelP
10-30-2011, 12:20 PM
If it's any consolation, my Harbor Freight 4 inch digital caliper also eats batteries , even name brand silver oxide ones. (Yeah, I know...I got what I paid for.)
HF ones eat batery alive by design. Considering the cost of the batteries, it may be cheaper to buy Mitutoyo. Especially, since they're widely available through eBay. And I'm not even talking about quality.

But you know it, of course. :)

Harvey Melvin Richards
10-31-2011, 11:35 AM
In my Mitutoyo calipers and mics the batteries last for years. In my Mitutoyo 329-711 depth micrometer I have to remove the battery or it will go dead very quickly.

noah katz
11-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Mine lasts fine in my Mitutoyo but not others.

Not sure of current prices, but a year ago I bought a bunch of those and calculators from ebay and Digikey, about 80 cents ea.

Peter.
11-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I found several packs of hearing aid batteries that fit my digital caliper perfectly, and work, but soon afterwards start flashing a low battery warning. They just keep on working but the display flashes. I think they are 0.1V lower than the correct battery - I wonder if yours are like that.

HighWall
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Anyone know of a digital caliper with a rechargable battery. Seems everytime I go to use my Mitutoyo caliper the battery is dead of dying.

I'm sick and tired of buying those little button batteries.

Any ideas?

I know this isn't a rechargeable caliper, but I just added a Mitutoyo solar powered one to the stable. So far, so good.

vpt
11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Is it possible you guys with quick dying batteries have a small metal chip or something inside of the caliper grounding out the battery killing it quicker then usual?

I have taken mine apart a couple times now to clean it and was surprised by the amount of junk in it.

Still haven't pulled my battery out and used the caliper all day today. Battery symbol still on and it is getting colder outside.

GadgetBuilder
11-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Some info about the different battery types:
http://www.truetex.com/buttons.htm

Bob Fisher
11-08-2011, 08:49 PM
I buy my batteries on line from Timesavers, S LaRose, Jewelers Supply, and other watch supply sources. I buy typically 30 to 50 each time to save on shipping. Batteries are usually less than 50 cents. I have become the go to guy in the extended family for watch, clock, and any other battery powered gadget. The batteries are always name brand and fresh, and they will supply you with a conversion chart. You CAN buy cheaper batteries. Bob.