PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen many good tooling deals on Ebay recently

beanbag
10-31-2011, 06:57 AM
I used to see lots of good carbide tooling in new condition for cheap on Ebay. Now it's just a bunch of buy-it-nows at retail prices. I guess in a way this is a good sign that machine shops have stopped going out of business?

J Tiers
10-31-2011, 08:20 AM
I think you missed the last one to go, that was 2 months ago.......:eek:

JoeLee
10-31-2011, 08:23 AM
I was thinking the same thing the other day. Actual deals are few and far in between. Most stuff is buy it now at retail prices or higher and outrageous shipping costs. I get better deals from a local supplier.

JL...................

T.Hoffman
10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
I've kind of given up on finding Ebay deals, unless looking for a very specific item. Like I found an index plate for my LW dividing head I didn't have, and was willing to pay for it- $22.

CraigsList seems to be a much better source for finding deals.
I really need to stop constantly checking CL, I keep finding deals I can't turn down.

My latest this past week, Dake Model 0 1-1/2 ton arbor press:

http://images.craigslist.org/5Z35W35R63kb3o33pcbaqfcea1c1a8b6a1c3f.jpg

Not bad for $45...
A strip and new paint job, this thing is like new.

Tait
10-31-2011, 09:30 AM
I wonder if that isn't by design:

I just saw an eBay advertisement on a Billboard.

It said "eBay. Buy it New. Buy it Now."

PixMan
10-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Maybe I can help before I post a few items on Craigslist and/or Ebay.

Just what are you looking for?

The deals are still there. Last week I received the two brand new Walter 3" milling cutters (two different styles) that I bought from an Ebay seller on a regular auction. They list for over $500 each, I paid just over $160 to my door.

I'd say the deals are still out there if you know how to find them. Knowing the nomenclature and how to search in different ways helps a LOT.

bvd1940
10-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Dont know how willing you are to travel but you might try ksl.com, it in Salt Lake city & covers a big area.:p
It was created in response to feebay I think and its free to list.
Just my 2 cents worth:D
Feebay is not the place to shop for Machinist stuff anymore IMHO.

Andrew_D
10-31-2011, 01:20 PM
My last big order of the Bay was spring 2011. I'd been ordering once a month or so before that. Haven't found any great deals since then, although I have found (and paid $$$) for specific items, but the general deals seem to have dried up.

Andrew

radkins
10-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Maybe not exactly what you are talking about but just this week I was "watching" eight Cleavland HSS (new) end mills that ranged from (2) 7/8", (1) 5/8", a couple of 1/2" and 3/8" all new. When I checked Ebay last night they had sold for $10.50 with $10.00 shipping and I forgot to bid! :mad: I buy a lot of my tooling there and I have gotten some unbelievable deals on Niagara and OSG end mills, my preferred brands. I just recently "won" a small milling vise at an embarrassingly low price, I bid $10 and and when I checked back a couple of days later no one else had bid so I got it for $19 shipped. I have seen similar vises go for $75 to $100.

I love E-Bay! :D

uncle pete
10-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Maybe not exactly OT, But it's also a place to get almost impossible to find items that don't seem to show up in any other areas. I looked for over a year trying to find the belt guards for my Atlas horizontal. Sometimes you've just got to grit your teeth and pay that BIN price. Living in Canaduh, Your also adding higher shipping costs and taxes on top of that already overpriced tooling too. From what I've seen, Most of it isn't cost effective for us. Fairly rare unobtainium is about all I use Ebay for.

Pete

beanbag
10-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Just what are you looking for?

Right now I am trying to replenish my end mill supplies.
One particular kind I am looking for is 3/8" 2/3 flute high helix reduced shank / relieved neck zrn coated.

PixMan
10-31-2011, 05:48 PM
I really haven't seen any 3/8" end mills with reduced shank. That 3/8" is small enough for most machines as it is.

Is it aluminum that you cut mostly and that's why the Zirconium Nitride coating?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-3-FLUTE-030-RAD-ALUMINUM-CARBIDE-END-MILL-ZrN-COATING-48271-/320769467694

Just one regular shank, but reasonable for carbide.

wooleybooger
10-31-2011, 11:46 PM
i dont use e-bay for tool bits much anymore. its more a parts source for my old machines and a place to buy OLD measuring tools. lathe prices have really gone up since i last looked 10 mos ago.