PDA

View Full Version : I wanted a gallon

armedandsafe
11-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm thinking of cleaning some mild steel items in my vibratory tumbler. All my media is for brass cartridge casings, so I thought I'd better get some advice from the experts. I was thinking of buying a gallon or two for testing.

After pestering several of the local sandblasting shops and grit suppliers, I settled on 70 grit sand. Browsing the internet was getting me 15 to 25 pounds, delivered, in the $25 to $50 dollar range.

So I went to our local supplier and asked about a small quantity. Nope, only in the bulk bag. So I gritted my teeth and asked, "How much?"

I now have 100 lbs :eek: for $6.10. :D

Pops

HWooldridge
11-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah, it's cheap. I buy it here at a local material yard for about $5 a hundred.

The vibratory will work fine on the steel - put the sand in and go to town.

J Tiers
11-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Eh...... I went out to the shed and got a couple scoopfuls from the driest bin of ordinary "garden sand".

So far it has worked fine, and no need to buy any of that expensive six buck sand..... and the process from initiating the search to "receiving my order" took about 3 minutes........

Black Forest
11-06-2011, 03:25 AM
If you bought 100 lbs. of sand you bought a cubic foot of sand aproximately. So that is only roughly 7 gallons.

Highpower
11-06-2011, 04:45 AM
I'm thinking of cleaning some mild steel items in my vibratory tumbler. All my media is for brass cartridge casings, so I thought I'd better get some advice from the experts. I was thinking of buying a gallon or two for testing.

After pestering several of the local sandblasting shops and grit suppliers, I settled on 70 grit sand. Browsing the internet was getting me 15 to 25 pounds, delivered, in the $25 to $50 dollar range.

So I went to our local supplier and asked about a small quantity. Nope, only in the bulk bag. So I gritted my teeth and asked, "How much?"

I now have 100 lbs :eek: for $6.10. :D

PopsI do the same with media for my brass casings.
150 lbs for $50 -vs.- a 5 lb bag at the local sporting goods for $18 :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Highpwr/Curio%20and%20Relic/P9200024.jpg

flylo
11-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Now you can repackage into smaller bags & sell cheaper than where you used to buy it & pay for part of your hobby. Isn't America Great!.:D

Oldbrock
11-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I just go out back and dig it up and screen it. Anyone want a cubic mile? Peter:D