X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madman
    • Sep 2004

Trailer Question ?????

I have built a few and own 4 currently, a Modified Snowmobile trailer where I built a Slush Guard for it from Aluminumn, a custom heavy machinery moving trailer , a small box trailer that can fit behind my car and also the ATV for (Yuch) and a Boat triler custom made. I am planning on getting rid of (hopefully 3 of them) I am considering a Aluminumn Enclosed type of trailer, I have a Question?? If you tow a Aluminumn Trailer in the Winter Time with salt on our Roads(up here in Canada) wont the salt eat away at the aluminumn Chassis? Is this a Problem ?? I need a enclosed traialer for my Contract work, snowmobile Hauling and also my hobby Bike Drag Racing. Wondered about the saly aluminumn if it was a problem.hopefully some of you guys have one and know the scoop on this Thanx Guys as always Mike
  • hardtail
    • Jun 2005

I know they don't recommend aluminized exhaust tubing in high salt areas so if theres not a good protective coating I think it might be a problem........
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

• Bill McLeod
      • Oct 2007

I've built 3 trailers all from alum 50 & 60 series [marine] frames and box's, winters are not as bad here but no problems and one is boat trailer in and out of salt water, have not had any problem with corrosion

Comment

• madman
        • Sep 2004

Aluminumn Corrosion??

Bill are youre trailers anodized? Painted? Oil sprayed or anything covering.,,coating them? We have loads of salt here . I really wish to get rid of my other 3 trailers and buy just one that would double as a garage for my Sleds or my 3 Bikes. Thanx Mike

Comment

• flylo
          • Apr 2011

I just sold & would recomend a Yaught Club Galv snomobile trailer. Or any brand heavy Galv coatind instead of aluminum. I had a 1972 Yaht Club sailboat trailer I gave a friend last year with no corrosion at all after 30+ years. I think they're stronger also. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Bob Ford
            • Dec 2006

There are several aluminum fishing boats 40 to 60 feet in length in our harbor. The ones that have been in the salt water over 6 years have some tarnish, but no real signs of corrosion.

Bob

Comment

• wierdscience
              • Jan 2003

No road salt here,but lots of boat trailers in saltwater.Like has already been said 5&6xxx series Aluminum is the norm.

Make sure you minimize places that can trap and hold water/salt,particularly spray off the tires.Plastic fender liners are great for this.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• hardtail
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by flylo
                I just sold & would recomend a Yaught Club Galv snomobile trailer. Or any brand heavy Galv coatind instead of aluminum. I had a 1972 Yaht Club sailboat trailer I gave a friend last year with no corrosion at all after 30+ years. I think they're stronger also. Just my opinion.
                I think the galvanizing process is different today to satisfy the enviromentalists, the old stuff was grey, the new stuff is shiny and like most new vs old, not as good?........
                Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Working...
                X