PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives for Armor All?

A.K. Boomer
11-10-2011, 04:28 PM
The kid I bought my car from used something very different than Armor all for the dash and door panels and said that armor all will cause things to crack if you discontinue it's use for just a short while, iv never heard of this --- I know there are allot of armor all substitutes that are very much like armor all but that's not what he was using - he was using something far less slipperyer but actually kinda greasy without being grease...

anyways - im out to gain information from anyone in the know so if you know anything about this subject im listening and would appreciate it, thanks.

aboard_epsilon
11-10-2011, 04:40 PM
silicone spray ..

not the cheap stuff ...that contains lots of solvents and no silcone

the simonize back to black is the stuff to use .

makes an inert barrier so that plastics don't dry out and become brittle.

its like sun block for plastic that also stops it drying out like hand cream

all the best.markj

Evan
11-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Armor All is just silicone oil with a few dispersants, an emulsifier and a surface tension modifier plus water. It won't cause cracking but it will make things impossible to paint as will anything that contains dimethylpolysiloxane. It has extremely low volatility which means it doesn't evaporate easily and in nearly inert with respect to other materials. Silicone oil is used in a very wide variety of applications from medical to lubricating food handling equipment.

"Kinda greasy without being grease" very much describes certain PTFE related materials, in particular certain non-conductive triboelectric greases or some vacuum greases. They are often made with fluoropolymer compounds combined with silicone oils.

vpt
11-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I've always hated armor all, disliked the shine, the smell, the feel, all of it. Normally all I do and just clean the dash, seats, door panels with windex and a micro fiber towel. After doing some reading and talking with a couple people I went and got maguires plastic/rubber conditioner. It says matte finish or dull/stock finish. Goes on easy, has the factory "dull" finish, is a little wet feeling at first that goes away after a couple days. I don't like many things but I do like this stuff. I use it on the tires and outside trim, plastic, and moldings.

beanbag
11-10-2011, 06:26 PM
There are many many different kinds of treatment sprays for dashboards/interior/vinyl. Some glossy and oily, some matte, some with silicone, some without. Depends what u r looking for.

rode2rouen
11-11-2011, 05:55 AM
I use Pledge in the pump spray bottle.
Lovin' the lemony aroma!

Rex

T.Hoffman
11-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Armor All is slippery as hell when it gets cold.

I made the mistake as a kid using AA on my snowmobile seat when I was cleaning up the machine.... I could barely hang onto the bars.

vpt
11-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Armor All is slippery as hell when it gets cold.

I made the mistake as a kid using AA on my snowmobile seat when I was cleaning up the machine.... I could barely hang onto the bars.

:D I got quite the laugh out of that! My brother did the same thing when he was younger. We learned that before you go out riding spray one guys snow pants bottoms with armor all. Its funny!

lakeside53
11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Big mud tray in the back of the wagon... Wife cleaned it with armor-all; now the dog can't stay put and slides around as we corner/brake:)

kenrinc
11-11-2011, 04:19 PM
The stuff I normally use is 303 Aerospace protectant. Not interested in getting into a marketing presentation but I've been using it for over 10 years and I'm happy with it. It does not contain silicon. It also doesn't leave that tell tale glossy shine. I learned about it from my Father who used it on his RVs. I tried it and never went back to ArmorAll.

Ken-

darryl
11-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I never liked Armorall. To me it goes in the same category as Thompsons water seal. I'll never use that crap again. Throw it in the bin with all those stains that are supposed to last but can barely make it six months.

Gonna be a lot of stuff in that bin- anybody want to add to the list? Here's one, apparently, though I haven't had the personal experience- chinese cab tire. Rots out while that one you've owned since the fifties is still good.

Bill736
11-11-2011, 10:00 PM
I never liked Armorall. To me it goes in the same category as Thompsons water seal. I'll never use that crap again. Throw it in the bin with all those stains that are supposed to last but can barely make it six months.

Gonna be a lot of stuff in that bin- anybody want to add to the list? Here's one, apparently, though I haven't had the personal experience- chinese cab tire. Rots out while that one you've owned since the fifties is still good.

I'll add to the bad bin a spray product that was sold to spray onto eyeglasses to smooth out scratches. It turned out to be acrylic floor wax, and it left my eyeglasses with such a rippled finish that it was like looking through the end of a soda bottle ! Fortunately, it was removable . I believe the same product is now being advertised on TV for clearing up hazed automobile headlight plastic covers . No buffing, no polishing....just wipe on and let it dry ! Maybe, maybe not.

spope14
11-12-2011, 09:55 PM
One time for grins and giggles, and when I was out of Armor all, I used Murphy's oil. Worked pretty good and cleaned the dash and doors on the old ride quite well. A bit slippery for a couple of days, but so is armor all.

A.K. Boomer
11-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the all the advice - im going to check into Aboard's suggestion as it's possible the back to black is the same stuff he mentioned, it really hangs around for along time whatever it is. it also has a more tolerable odor.

big job
11-13-2011, 06:40 AM
My first car being 3yrs old a 1958 Mercury (which I still have), my mother
sponged on Beacon floor wax on it, it shines, it was not slippery, dried
well smelled good. As I type this I will goole Beacon, see if they are
still around, after 50yrs It needs another coat, that smell makes me a
teen again. So thats my proof It will not hurt it.sam

nheng
11-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I'll 2nd the 303 protectant. Had to buy it online but if you have a good RV place, they should have it. I recall it supposedly worked great at protecting EPDM rubber on RV roofs.

What I also found with Armorall is that I would always have a haze on the inside surface of the windshield.

Den