X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DICKEYBIRD
    • Apr 2004

Yet another electronics question.

Ya'll got me fixed up with the CNC controller problem but I have another query.

The little lathe conversion is using only 2 stepper motors of the 3 on the mill it's grafted to. I'm doing a LONG job with it and it ocurred to me that the mill's Z-axis stepper is just sitting there making heat. Would it damage the controller to just unplug the unused stepper until it's needed again?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton
  • John Stevenson
    • Mar 2001

Short answer is no it will not hurt.
    What you can't do is connect or disconnect whilst powered up.

Easiest way is to remove power from the driver if it's a separate driver

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
      • May 2002

John said it perfectly. There should be no problems.
      Paul A.
      s
      Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• DICKEYBIRD
        • Apr 2004

Thanks John. The one board has everything on it except the 28v transformer so no separate drivers to remove. I'll unplug it and save a little juice and hopefully extend the life of other components.

It's a Smartstep/3 controller made in 1996 by Optimized Control Limited in Bristol England. The machine itself is a Denford, made in West Yorkshire, sold in the states when there was still a Denford USA in Ohio. It's a well built little machine other than the wimpy Sherline it controls.
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• MaxHeadRoom
          • Apr 2010

Rather than unplug it, why not use the drive enable input with a small toggle switch, either way you have to remember to turn it on at the appropriate time.
          The other automatic way would be to use a spare output tied to a Mcode to turn the enable on/off in the part program.
          This effectively switches the output transistors off and reduces current in them as well as the motor.
          Max.

Comment

Working...
          X