PDA

View Full Version : Put these on your Christmas list

DFMiller
11-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Finally something executed nicely from China.
Have you every found a 123 block made in China that your can actually bolt together.
I got today in the mail some I found in the UK.
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss47/ve7pke/Surrey-20111122-00046.jpg
See you can screw bolts into them
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss47/ve7pke/Surrey-20111122-00044.jpg
And you can fit bolts into the clearance holes.
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss47/ve7pke/Surrey-20111122-00045.jpg

They come in two sizes.
10-20-40 Blocks
20-40-80 Blocks
The only downside is they are metric.

You can get them at arceurotrade.co.uk

Delivery was prompt. I got them via post in 7 days

They have a strange name, "Stevensonís Metric 20-40-80 Blocks"
Who in the heck is this Stevenson?
Usual disclaimers. Just a satisfied customer.
Dave

.RC.
11-22-2011, 04:40 PM
They have a strange name, "Stevensonís Metric 20-40-80 Blocks"
Who in the heck is this Stevenson?
Usual disclaimers. Just a satisfied customer.
Dave

Didn't he build the Rocket?

Toolguy
11-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Maybe buddy John is making those on his POS Bridgy!:p

uncle pete
11-22-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't know all the details. But yeah, Our very own Sir John did have something to do with getting those made so they work like their supposed to.

Pete

bollie7
11-22-2011, 07:49 PM
The only downside is they are metric.

And thats a downside because??? :)

bollie7

DFMiller
11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
When you don't have boxes of SCHS or Button head screws around in every standard size like I do for imperials sizes it a bloody nuisance! ;-)
It's almost impossible to get one or two of any size of decent quality Metric fasteners around here. That's why I have boxes and boxes of the smaller imperial sizes.
Dave

Evan
11-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Canadian tire carries decent metric hardware but the seem to think they are made of gold.

See here about John's involvement.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=6307.0

DFMiller
11-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Evan,
Yes Cdn Tire has some. It seems stock varies store to store. In the more metro areas its more about Christmas lights and coolers.

Now we need to get John to get some Imperial blocks made.

Dave

uncle pete
11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Plus one for Dave's point about some true Imperial blocks. I'm not about to start up that whole Imperial/Metric arguement. I think in and visulise Imperial. So for us, Then a proper set of Imperial blocks are required.

Pete

John Stevenson
11-23-2011, 04:17 PM
They are imperial.
The small set is 0.3937" x 0.7874" x 1.5748" :rolleyes:

Seriously they were developed mainly for the UK and European market which is where ARC's main customer base is and although they do sell some imperial tooling and machines the metric side outsells about 3:1

However and I'd like to bring this point up does anyone use the generic 1-2-3 blocks and rely on they being 1- 2- 3 ?

The reason I ask is I don't but that's just me, I like things like this to actually be undersize as when you are clamping up if say you have a 1" shaft on a 1" block the vise can't trap both securely.

Believe it or not it's took well over 6 months to get these prototyped, drawn up and find a factory good enough to make these even though they are that simple.
We tried two UK sources but the price given must have been for silver or gold blocks and they are just not hard wearing enough.

If imperial blocks are needed the exercise will have to be done in the country they are needed, there isn't the demand in the UK and shipping puts it out the window.

We have another new item in the pipeline which I can't mention as yet, partly because the wording is being worked on and it's not fair to advertise here, I did get permission off George to mention these but Dave beat me to it, I don't sell these and make nothing off them.
I was paid for my time months ago.

The new item [ s, just remembered there are 3 new items ] replaces a 5C based item. 5c is very popular in the US but not so much here so again sales are going to be mainly UK / Europe based.

uncle pete
11-23-2011, 04:49 PM
John,
Ok you do have points that I can't argue with, Except having to think to myself, "Ok for the next machining step I'm gonna need one of those .3937"X.7874"X I.5748" blocks" :D So yeah your right that other than finding easy to get decent quality bolts to fit over here, Then there's no real need for the Imperial blocks.

A suggestion or two? How about getting Arc to start offering the tee slotted blocks that Eclipse? used to sell. A 3"x 3"x3" and at least a 5"x 5" x5" would be a real nice and handy piece of tooling to have if they were built accurately. Then again maybe somebody else already sells them that I don't know about.

Pete

crancshafter
11-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi.
The postman was at my door to day with a early christmas gift for my self.
Two sets of 10-20-30 and 20-40-80 blocs ;-)
thank you John and Arc.

Best Regards
CS

DFMiller
11-23-2011, 05:12 PM
John,
Good points.
My only gripe is that there are no screws included. As I mentioned it is a pain to get them here.
Being matched an parallel is the important stuff.

Dave

bollie7
11-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Dave
why don't you e-mail these blokes and ask about prices and postage charges? The last time I bought from them their prices were quite reasonable. I have no idea if they ship internationally though. Australia Post charges are not too bad on small packages and at the moment the Aussie $ is just under the US $
http://www.hi-tensilebolt.com.au/Front%20Page.html

regards
bollie7

The Artful Bodger
11-23-2011, 10:34 PM
We tried two UK sources but the price given must have been for silver or gold blocks and they are just not hard wearing enough.

There is no problem with the gold ones so long as you keep a good supply on hand...:rolleyes:

DFMiller
11-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Billie,
Thanks I will check them out. I have local options but they want to sell in box quantities for the most part. Or drive for 40 minutes where I can get singles especially in SS. I will have to check Metric though. Just checked pretty well complete SS selection but no standard metric in catalog.
I should stop widgeoning and I will.
Thanks John for making these nice parts happen
Dave

dp
11-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Holy crap - A Stevenson logo store! Next is a SJS Wiggler? Tea cups and mouse pads? A signature Bridgeport mill, maybe? :)

John Stevenson
11-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Holy crap - A Stevenson logo store! Next is a SJS Wiggler? Tea cups and mouse pads? A signature Bridgeport mill, maybe? :)

Yer right !!

Bit of history here.

Ketan knows it winds me up that's why he does it.
Notice the pound coin in the advert ? Put there for size you think ? No it's a private in joke.

Some years ago when we were doing the CNC kits for the X3 milling machine we got involved with Sieg in doing the KX series of turnkey machines. When these came in we stopped doing the kits thinking there would be no demand and Ketan told me to move the demo X3 machine from out of the showroom.

When I asked where to [ room is tight at Leicester ] I was told "put it where you like " so I loaded it up into the Donald and brought it home :rolleyes:

He saw it in the truck and asked what I was doing with it so I told him "You told me to put it where I liked, if it makes you feel any better here's a pound for it "

So now that same pound coin gets swapped round depending on who's doing what for who.

jihe
02-03-2016, 04:40 PM
I have a set of the larger ones on order and I'd like to prepare a face plate for a job with them before they arrive. So, I'm curious about the hole distance. I'd guess that it would be 20 mm. Can anyone confirm?

Mcgyver
02-04-2016, 08:39 AM
wow, now he's got a block named after him. who can compete with that? anyone else have a block named after them? Maybe I should change my name to "123"......speaking of name changers, there's some character in a current provincial by-election who legally changed his name to "None of the above"