PDA

View Full Version : Remote controlled electric fence charger

Black Forest
11-27-2011, 02:11 PM
We use electric fence on our farm to manage the horses and sheep. Today I was repairing the fence at the other end of the farm and had to call to have someone plug and unplug the charger while working on the fence. There are chargers available that have this feature. The remote is placed on the fence wire and a signal is sent to the charger to turn it on or off.

It is not possible to buy a add on unit to do the same with a normal charger.

So just how hard would it be to build a unit that is either controlled by cell phone or a special remote that sends a signal up the fence wire to the charger?

Something that could be added to most any charger.

Jeremy_BP
11-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I would think that it wouldn't be terribly difficult. A remote switch (RF would work nicely for short distances) triggering a relay for the power would do the job. It is possible to get interfaces that communicate over GSM, so you could trigger it with a text message.

coalsmok
11-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Black Forest can you post a link to the remote controlled fence charger you mentioned. Would save me a lot of walking if it is not to high.

Evan
11-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Wear insulated gloves. :D

Mike Burdick
11-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Here you go...

http://www.gsm-auto.com/

I'm sure there are others on the market.

The Artful Bodger
11-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Hmmmmm...... we used to just short the fence to ground when needing to work on it, maybe modern charges are too savage for that..:rolleyes:

Black Forest
11-27-2011, 03:46 PM
That GSM-auto sounds like it would work. Thanks for the link.

Gallagher makes one and there are others. I don't have a link.

GKman
11-27-2011, 03:55 PM
.... had to call to have someone plug and unplug the charger while working on the fence...

Sounds like you already have a remote controlled wife or daughter, why do you need anything else?:rolleyes:

Evan
11-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Undependable. They might just suddenly remember something that annoyed them and plug it in. :eek:

sasquatch
11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Isn't there a plastic or?? something disconnect that one can use to cut the power, think i've seen those many times, it just unhooks by spring tension, then rehooks again the opposite way.

I'd be careful allowing those girls to control the current on and off while working on the fence, untill you get that coffee maker fixed again.:D

justanengineer
11-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Is the power level not adjustable? When I used to do fence, I simply turned the power down to a low setting, and did my work as necessary with it giving me a lil tickle. If the tickle gets to be too much, Id simply put gloves on. The cows usually avoided it, so we never had problems with needing the shock to keep them in while working on it, but worst case maybe you could move the animals to another pasture, pen, or barn while working.

lakeside53
11-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Hmmmmm...... we used to just short the fence to ground when needing to work on it, maybe modern charges are too savage for that..:rolleyes:

That works fine. It's how we stole fruit as a kid :) and how my shirt-tail uncle in Sasatchewan works on his.

Just carry a steel stake and a short length of bare wire. Won't hurt the charger. Short both sides of the work area if you can't figure which end it's fed from. lol..

The Artful Bodger
11-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Just carry a steel stake and a short length of bare wire. Won't hurt the charger. Short both sides of the work area if you can't figure which end it's fed from. lol..

Even easier, the fences were on insulators fixed to steel stakes and it was just a matter of twisting the stake a little to short the fence.
(I swear we had a Jersey cow who knew how to do that too!:) )

Evan
11-28-2011, 03:14 AM
I used electric fence to keep my horses off parts of the property so they wouldn't overgraze. It was an old electromechanical type with the spring style oscillating flywheel. It pulses about once per second. We had one horse that figured out how to scoot under the wire and only get one shock at most. She would kneel down with her nose less than an inch away from the wire. She must have been able to sense the jolt because she would wait for it and then bolt under the fence and maybe get a jolt on the ass on her way through but never on her head as she slid under the wire.

The low impedance chargers they have now are powerful enough to shock even when grounded.

The Artful Bodger
11-28-2011, 03:18 AM
We had one horse that figured out how to scoot under the wire and only get one shock at most. She would kneel down with her nose less than an inch away from the wire..

I can well believe that as we had a sow who used to do much the same, she would stand where she could hear the ticking of the controller, gently rocking back and forth then make a sudden lunge through the fence which of course was then broken down and all the rest got out too.

The Artful Bodger
11-28-2011, 03:20 AM
The legend is that Gallagher fences began when Mr Gallagher got tired of his horse scratching its backside against his car so he made up a spring winding on a magneto that released a stream of shocks when the car was rocked.

Black Forest
11-28-2011, 03:38 AM
I have two fence chargers and they put out between 6 and 8 KV. You can attach the wire to a metal stake in the ground and still get knocked on your butt. I hate electrical shocks. I want the thing turned off when I work on the fence. The emotional trauma of wondering if I will get shocked would keep me in therapy for years!

coalsmok
11-28-2011, 05:42 AM
You could wear rubber boots and work on the old 80s era ac charger we had. The new portable solar ones not so much. Walking by the fence one day and kept hearing something going snap, found a metal stake about a inch from the fence that was getting arced to at every pulse.

lynnl
11-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Several years back I got a little "Red Snapper" charger and rigged up an electric fence around my garden to keep the dog out. Worked great too, one buzz and he wouldn't set paw off of the deck for days. Even afterwards, he gave the garden a wide berth.

I told a coworker about it (he was a real tightwad), and a few days later he was telling me how he had just taken an extension cord, plugged it into an outlet, and hooked the other end up to his chainlink fence to keep his dog in. :D
I explained to him how it might be a good idea to take that down before he electrocuted one of the neighborhood kids.

Evan
11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
That actually works reasonably well if you put a 3 watt night light bulb in series with the power. That keeps the current down to a reasonably safe level. The main issue then is that the voltage is too low to make through most animal hair.

The Artful Bodger
11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
That actually works reasonably well if you put a 3 watt night light bulb in series with the power. That keeps the current down to a reasonably safe level. The main issue then is that the voltage is too low to make through most animal hair.

Errrrrr..........assuming the fence is well insulated from ground the voltage will be full mains until current begins to flow and the resistance of the incandesant bulb will be low until it heats up.

Evan
11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
It isn't the voltage that matters, only the current. Since it only takes 20 ma to light it up and 20 ma is in the mostly safe zone for shock it would required more current than what it takes to light it up to kill (which is at least 60 ma). It takes more than a few milliseconds of current to kill. Also, cold resistance isn't zero.

I am not advocating using the method but it is fairly safe.

The Artful Bodger
11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
The main issue then is that the voltage is too low to make through most animal hair.

It isn't the voltage that matters, only the current.

I am not going to argue with you Evan but that is what you posted...:rolleyes:

michigan doug
11-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I didn't make the statements, but I think I know why he made them.

The main issue (in terms of effectiveness) then is that the voltage is too low to make through most animal hair.

(As far as the risk of killing a human is concerned), It isn't the voltage that matters, only the current.

Both statements are correct, you just missed the implied context.

I also do not recommend or condone using this method. Way too much liability.

Finest regards,

troy

lynnl
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Well the bottom line is, this guy knew nothing about puting any other load in series. He just had the metal fence hooked up to a 15 or 20 amp circuit.

Just HOW he hooked it up, I don't know. But he was impressed with the yelp (and singed hair smell) from the dog when it made contact. :)

Dan Dubeau
11-28-2011, 09:50 PM
What about one of those remotes the woodshop guys use for dust collectors. Range might be a little limited, but I'm not sure. Assuming your's is like mine (well WAS like mine until the previous owner came back and stole it) in that it just plugs into 110v power.

nigelg
09-09-2013, 04:09 AM
Hi,
I have just bought a new GSM Electric Fence controller of which is excellent as I can actually disconnect and reconnect the Power to the Energiser
from my Mobile Phone.
The system came with a T.Mobile Sim card and I just unplugged the Energiser,plugged it into the Universal Socket on the GSM Fence Controller and
switched the Power On.
In a Minute I was able to just Call the T. Mobile number and the Energiser switched Off and I got a Text Message as Unit Off.
I call the unit again and the Energiser is back on and I get a text message as Unit On
Brilliant and it was the lowest cost solution I could Find on the net at circa 117 USD including shipping.
Web link is http://www.gsmswitch.com

J Tiers
09-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Don't ground with a stake... the pulsed current in ground resistance could still jolt you.

I seem to recall another discussion which said there was a ground wire as well as a hot one. If you short those together, that should be low enough resistance to take care of it. You can add the stake also if you wish.

For nuisance critters, 200V is plenty.... used it for squirrels etc in the garden. they'd put their paws on the wire, but it also got a few in the back of the neck when they stuck their heads between the hot and ground wires. Would not work for horses at all.

pretty funny when they hit the jolt, got knocked off, and then tried to pretend nothing had happened..... 1 megohm series, and 0.2 uF capacitor for charge reservoir.... run from battery and tiny inverter.