PDA

View Full Version : OT Freeup door hinges on 01 E350

redrich
11-29-2011, 01:05 PM
The doors are getting harder to open. Tried WD40 but no help. Any ideas Thanks for your help

justanengineer
11-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Is the door sagging at all (not always easy to tell)? If so, take it to the body man unless you have excess time, patience, and the special tools to do this sort of work.

The last time I had a door needing adjustment, it cost me a case of cheap beer. Being friendly with shops in your area is always a good thing.

Willy
11-29-2011, 03:26 PM
If the door hinge is sagging it will be easy to spot as the door latch will not line up perfectly with the striker plate just before closing, the door will tend to lift up as it locks up into engagement.
Also just before closing see how the body contours match between door and body.

Try a good penetrating lubricant on the hinges, not WD40. Give it a several applications and allow it to seep into the hinge.
Remember it took years to get to this point so give it a chance to work.

If worse comes to worse a hinge pin and bushing kit are available for about 4 bucks a side from most automotive parts suppliers.

rmuell01
11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I have a 2001 gmc van, hinges are always getting stuck. I use Kroil.

Evan
11-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Every vehicle comes with a built in oil dispenser for those sorts of jobs. It's called a dipstick.

Guido
11-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Be careful, Saltmine had a Ford pickup where both doors fell off. Honest !!!!!!!

Willy
11-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Guido, that's because he used it so much!
The Chev was probably in the shop.:D

sasquatch
11-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I have to agree with Willy, leave the WD40, and get some decent penetrating oil, then keep spraying or dousing them every day, soak them heavily, tapping with a hammer will help it to penetrate somewhat when it's soaked.

I see this sometimes in a parking lot , person gets out of the vehichle and pushes the sticking door open to which it gives a loud "Squeakkkk!

Takes only 2 minutes a month to give them a shot of good lubricant, including all hinges, trunk, tailgate, hood etc. Plus hit the latches also.

Any good service center usually does this automatically when a vehichle is in the garage.

aboard_epsilon
11-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Wurth HHS-2000 is what i use ..its a liquid penertrating grease ..

it penertrates the gaps in the hinges ..then the solvents evaporate ..leaving behind the grease.

ps i only pay 3 a tin for it ..seems to be available everywhere at inflated prices.

i consider 3 is all i'd pay for it .

all the best.markj

Bob Fisher
11-29-2011, 06:32 PM
WD 40 has it's uses, but not as a lubricant. I would use a white lithium grease after the penetrating oil in the WD 40 has done its work. A spray can will get the grease to the needed spots. Bob.

Arcane
11-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Be careful, Saltmine had a Ford pickup where both doors fell off. Honest !!!!!!!
Must have been when he was getting passed by a Chevy...:D

I never have to lubricate anything on my 1994 Chevy truck. I do get it Rust Checked once a year and that's all it takes, everything is well lubricated from the oil based product and I do mean EVERYTHING! ('cept for the nut behind the wheel...)

darryl
11-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Once you get them loosened up (assuming the hinges are tight and that's the problem) spray some chain lube on them. Works good. As a penetrant, I use Nutrol, since I have it on hand. Works good too.

duckman
11-30-2011, 09:27 AM
I've used Kroil and it works, but I received a free sample of some stuff called CRC wow makes Kroil look like WD 40. Had 2 rusted threads on my scythe tried Kroil nothing , gave a shot of CRC and in 10 minutes they were loosened, I've always used Kroil until I found CRC.

Joe Rogers
11-30-2011, 12:48 PM
WD 40 has it's uses, but not as a lubricant. I would use a white lithium grease after the penetrating oil in the WD 40 has done its work. A spray can will get the grease to the needed spots. Bob.
Our shop quit using White Lithium after we found we had to replace hinges we had lubed with WL in the past and they still wore out. Took some apart after removal and cut them apart. No WL ever got into the hinge pivot points. Just laid on top of the surfaces. We transitioned to the penetrating clear lube that gels to a grease after the carrier evaps and we stopped using up hinges.
Joe