PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding an old quarter horse

gizmo2
11-29-2011, 10:26 PM
It's an old Delco Rigidframe, built like a tank. It was full of dirt, rusted solid, and home to a black widow spider. My first encounter with the species; it was brief but flattening. Anyway, I cleaned up the metal bits, evicted the tenants, and now she's making happy motor motions. My question; with the plain bearings in there, should there be some sort of packing around them? Something to hold some oil? There are no oil or grease fittings to the outside world either. All thoughts welcomed, and thank you for your support...

Alistair Hosie
11-30-2011, 12:47 AM
What you killed the spider you cruel beast.I could have served it up for Christmas dinner then everyone gets a leg each wow tasty northern fried. Alistair now pics of your work please .

metalmagpie
11-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Sintered bearings came oil-saturated. It wouldn't hurt to replace the bearings on what's probably a 50 year old motor, even if they're just sintered bearings you buy at the hardware store.

Good place for those adjustable hand reamers, reaming the bushings so the shaft just fits smoothly ..

RussZHC
11-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Had a couple of machines from late 1930s, very early 1940s both motors very "solid" to say the least, as in maybe 2 or 3 times the mass of a similar Hp rated motor now...anyway, both had what I thought was jute rope packed around each plain bearing but there were access points coming and going for oil. I thought when I started to pull it out (had not seen its like before) maybe a couple feet but congrats to whomever packed those because I am guessing maybe 20' on each bearing? I mean I don't know how it could have been packed any tighter...obviously a very well working system though, outside a bit dry but inner "windings" still very much moist from oil

Carld
11-30-2011, 01:39 PM
But can you still put a saddle on him/her and ride around the barrels?

torker
11-30-2011, 06:29 PM
I've nailed shoes on a Quarter Horse...roped plenty of steers off them...fed them for years...doctored them...hauled them all over the west...but NEVER...have I rebuilt one!!! I'm gettin popcorn for this... :D
Russ

davidwdyer
11-30-2011, 06:54 PM
C'mon you guys, quit horsing around. :rolleyes:

sasquatch
11-30-2011, 06:57 PM
I thought this topic would appear quarterly?:rolleyes:

gizmo2
11-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Carl, are you talking about the motor or the spider? She didn't fare too well, but when I came back in a half hour, about 20 babies bailed out. I don't think I got them all, so maybe the rodeo will be back on this summer.