PDA

View Full Version : Hockey pucks?

The Artful Bodger
11-30-2011, 06:15 PM
OK, who sent me the hockey pucks that arrived today? Sorry but I have lost my emails/pms and cant thank you directly.

Thanks very much, they will be ideal as the feet under my concrete machine bench!:) :) :)

sasquatch
11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Sounds like it may have been a disgusted hockey fan who has taken up lawn bowling?:D

davidwdyer
11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
I understand they are a very good kind of rubber for turning on a lathe, if you need something like that.

sasquatch
11-30-2011, 06:59 PM
They make good body mounts in old pickups too. (the truck ones!!):rolleyes:

The Artful Bodger
11-30-2011, 08:16 PM
The donor has PMed me and I have thanked him, it sure was good of him to send me these.

I have not seen them before and I am sure people find a lot of use for them.

Your Old Dog
11-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Probably a Buffalo Sabres fan.

I have not seen them before and I am sure people find a lot of use for them.

Maybe if someone knows they tell the Sabres what they're used for?

darryl
11-30-2011, 08:34 PM
They saw up nicely. I've made many things from them, one being a roller for a tape machine, others are feet. I have yet to do a test to see how well they contain their color when skidded across laminate flooring- I don't care about the feet, but I don't want to leave skid marks. They are very black once you cut into them. I also want to do a test to see how durable they would be as wheels under a cart. I'd bore out a center hole and press in a steel sleeve as a bearing, or maybe a uhmw sleeve. Maybe a uhmw flange pressed in from either side, or maybe a pair of ball bearings side by side- just thinking out loud here.

I don't recall, but it may have been a hockey puck that I cut up and tested for conductivity at one time. I'll have to test that again-

lakeside53
11-30-2011, 08:41 PM
They work well as machine mounts.

RussZHC
11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
there was a recent thread about how Lee Valley was moving away from just very high quality tools...

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67844&cat=1,43456,43465

they found a use for hockey pucks.

I'm not quite convinced current pucks are the same as the ones growing up...granted frozen many a time (and I mean frozen, not just put in a fridge before the game to reduce bounce) they seemed very difficult to cut and IIRC, chunks would break out if two or more cuts started...sort of "fissure" at a meeting point and that piece would break out.

Evan
12-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Hockey pucks are very handy items for all sorts of applications. They can be used to make very nice flexible shaft couplings to handle small misalignments. They are handy in a press for die forming small aluminum parts. They machine well, especially if frozen and they are cheap.

wierdscience
12-01-2011, 12:18 AM
My Starrett 24x36 surface plate came on the factory stand supported on three hockey pucks,works great.

jr45acp
12-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Where does one find hockey pucks. They're not too common in SE Georgia.

lazlo
12-01-2011, 09:02 AM

You can't find them in Texas either. Damn Yankees ;)

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Follow the link that RussZHC posted above, only $1 each, cheaper for 10 or more.

bruto
12-01-2011, 10:19 AM
A cursory web search suggests that the deal at Lee Valley is pretty good, since pucks are hard to find under a dollar.

Dave P.
12-01-2011, 10:42 AM
As a looooong time hockey player I can tell you they will mark a floor.
The basement floor in my parents home looks like the touchdown zone of a
airport runway and one wall is mostly black from shooting.
The white "plastic" blade retainers on skates quickly get covered
with black marks, I have black marks all over every piece of gear
I own.
Dave

TheAndroid
12-01-2011, 10:54 AM
You can't find them in Texas either. Damn Yankees ;)

They are pretty easy to find in Dallas. There are several skate shops which have them. The one which comes to mind immediately is in Hurst off 183 at 157.

davidwdyer
12-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I found 'em in Tucson AZ in a larger sports store, so they can't be too hard to find. However, the price was NOT under one dollar.

lazlo
12-01-2011, 12:07 PM
A cursory web search suggests that the deal at Lee Valley is pretty good, since pucks are hard to find under a dollar.

The Lee Valley bench blocks aren't hockey pucks -- they're soft mousepad material. I have them -- great for sitting a flat plate on your workbench so it doesn't move around.

Dan Dubeau
12-01-2011, 12:30 PM
The Lee Valley bench blocks aren't hockey pucks -- they're soft mousepad material. I have them -- great for sitting a flat plate on your workbench so it doesn't move around.

Check the link, they are actual pucks. They are sold (for $1) to go with the mouspad material you're talking about.

There are also pucks of different weights too. Blue are lighter, and I think it's red (or orange) that are heavier than standard. We had a blue one thrown in the bag for our sunday night mens league last sunday. The slapshots you can take with one of those, just make me giggle like a kid. During warm up our goalie said "f this" and skated out of the crease, after the first two shots with the blue puck went whizzing past his head at around 100mph. Fun times.

lazlo
12-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Check the link, they are actual pucks. They are sold (for $1) to go with the mouspad material you're talking about.

Oh, that's hilarious! The bench pucks work great -- sticking adhesive neoprene discs onto a hockey puck is certainly, um - resourceful? :p