PDA

View Full Version : NeverWet - super hydrophobic coating

dewat
12-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Sounds interesting,

At Ross Nanotechnology, we have developed a super hydrophobic coating that completely repels water and heavy oils. Any object coated with our NeverWet™ coating literally cannot be touched by liquid. Any liquid placed on this coating is repelled and simply rolls off without touching the underlying surface. Not only is this amazing to see, but it solves a myriad of problems.

Videos,

http://www.neverwet.com/

macona
12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Wow, that looks neat.

Evan
12-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Ticks me off that I won't live long enough to see a lot of the truly cool tech that will come out of nanotechnology. It holds the potential for a second industrial revolution as well as revolutionary developments in many other fields such as medicine. So what happens when you coat products like blood vessel stents with this stuff? Clotting becomes impossible I presume.

chipmaker4130
12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Clotting doesn't require 'sticking' to any surface, but I'm sure that type of coating would prevent accumulation of small clots at that point.

John Stevenson
12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
It probably poisons you. :D

Nothing new, once had a manager that had been dipped in this stuff. :rolleyes:

macona
12-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Reminds me of the Repulsion Gel in Portal 2:

This first test involves something the lab-boys call repulsion gel. You're not part of the control group by the way - you get the gel. Last poor son of a gun got blue paint, ha ha ha! All joking aside, that did happen. Broke every bone in his legs - tragic. But informative! Or so I'm told.

I've got some advice from the boys down in the lab for those of you who got covered in the repulsion gel" *paper rustling* "Do not get covered in the repulsion gel. We haven't entirely nailed down what element it is, but it's a lively one and it doesn't like the human skeleton.

-Cave Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/v/a7V0HBwHfEw

Anvils
12-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Wow, I would never have to wax my truck again with this stuff! That would be great for the rainy NW.

Evan
12-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Clotting doesn't require 'sticking' to any surface, but I'm sure that type of coating would prevent accumulation of small clots at that point.

No, it doesn't. But if the blood does stick to something and stops flowing it will form a clot. That is a problem with stents in particular, called stent thrombosis. That's why anti clotting drugs are prescribed after a stent is implanted. It would be very beneficial to patients if they didn't have to take those drugs since they can have dangerous side effects.

J Tiers
12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Some of the nanotech stuff is apparently starting to show up with bad ecological effects......

Just the first article I found in a 10 second search... it hit some of the same points I have seen elsewhere in more scientific magazines.:

http://www.gizmag.com/are-nanoparticles-dangerous/13594/

aboard_epsilon
12-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Ive just bought a couple of bottle of Holts anti mist fluid .

glad they were cheap ..because it seams that it's crap ..apeears to be isopropyl with some sticky goo added...probably sugar.

makes more of a smeary mess of my windjshield than the mist caused in the first place

any sugestions of other uses for it welcome .

all the best.markj

JoeLee
12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Reminds me of Scotchgaurd. I take it it doesn't seal anything. Reason for asking............... if anyone remembers my posts about the poly tarp car port canopy leaking and wondering what I could use to seal it with.

JL................

Thruthefence
12-02-2011, 09:11 AM
I don't know jack about nanotechnology, but if this stuff could be applied to aircraft and STAY applied, it could be a game changer in many ways. Anti icing being just one of them.

I wonder if it keeps bugs from sticking to your car bumper.

gwilson
12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
After reading about nano particles,and their potentially harmful effects,I wonder how many we are currently ingesting? Too late for us old duffs,but what about young people?

Lew Hartswick
12-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't know jack about nanotechnology, but if this stuff could be applied to aircraft and STAY applied, it could be a game changer in many ways. Anti icing being just one of them.

I wonder if it keeps bugs from sticking to your car bumper.
And the leading edges of sail planes wings. How about windshields
of cars too.
...lew...

jugs
12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Ive just bought a couple of bottle of Holts anti mist fluid .

glad they were cheap ..because it seams that it's crap ..apeears to be isopropyl with some sticky goo added...probably sugar.

makes more of a smeary mess of my windjshield than the mist caused in the first place

any sugestions of other uses for it welcome .

all the best.markj

Spray it on to donuts :eek: :D

Thruthefence
12-02-2011, 11:14 AM
"leading edges of sail planes wings"

exactly so.

Maybe we can now get true laminar flow!

goose
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Quite impressive, a modern day Lord MacIntosh.

Possible applications:

Baby bottoms - no more diaper rash
Super powerful diuretic, assuming you can coat your intestines with it.
Hair conditioner - no more unruly hair on humid days.
Car tires, no more hydroplaning.
Boat hulls = less friction, faster boats.
Mold free showers and tubs.
Rot proof wood without pressure treating.

aboard_epsilon
12-02-2011, 02:34 PM
dont think you want the stuff on tyres ..thats the last thing it should be on .

all the best.markj

Evan
12-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Apparently the very first product to use it is already available. My wife loves the idea. It a toilet plunger and absolutely nothing wet will stick to it.

Sounds like this material will be a hot seller to politicians.

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2010/05/05/invention-the-amazing-toilet-plunger-that-never-gets-wet-and-stays-germ-free/

macona
12-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Coat the inside of sewer lines. Less stoppages.

radkins
12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
If it's non-toxic then how about a hand lotion so that contaminates like dirty oils, paint and such would either not stick or would simply wash off, I bet mechanics would love the stuff!

Evan
12-02-2011, 03:01 PM
It's hydrophobic. That means it repels water. Chances are that it also means it attracts nonpolar substances like alkanes. Alkanes are petroleum derived materials such as solvents and are found in items like greases.

gwilson
12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Are some of you guys reading the provided links about the potential hazards of nano particles to health?

topct
12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Are some of you guys reading the provided links about the potential hazards of nano particles to health?

Yes, how will the human body react? The stuff looks to have promise, but......

macona
12-02-2011, 04:36 PM
It's hydrophobic. That means it repels water. Chances are that it also means it attracts nonpolar substances like alkanes. Alkanes are petroleum derived materials such as solvents and are found in items like greases.

In their FAQ it says oils can break it down do it is probably somewhat susceptible to some solvents.

jugs
12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes, how will the human body react? The stuff looks to have promise, but......

There are potential hazards & not only to humans but as long as there's a profit to be made........

on the other hand it was well known that -
- if you sailed to far west you'd fall off the edge if the world.
- faster than 30mph you will suffercate.
- man cannot fly.

but the genie is out of the bottle. http://th717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/th_emoticons-mascherate-02.gif

Forestgnome
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Not exactly nanotechnology, but I always believe simpler is better.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-12-simple-technique-results-repellency.html

Evan
12-02-2011, 06:45 PM
The question of safety is a serious one. Other nanotech materials such as C-60 have turned up some surprises. Certain types of Carbon-60 molecules are toxic which is entirely unexpected since we are 18% carbon.

macona
12-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I had never heard about the buckyball issue. For others, here is more info:

http://nanotechweb.org/cws/article/tech/27230

Forrest Addy
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Hm. Sheds water, oil, anything. I wonder if it will work on in-laws?

mike os
12-03-2011, 06:47 AM

how about some real data rather than speculation?

J Tiers
12-03-2011, 09:24 AM
how about some real data rather than speculation?

????????????????????

This article describes several studies...... was linked above also

mike os
12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
????????????????????

This article describes several studies...... was linked above also

no the speculation was linked to summaries by third parties of papers, with no data presented... data:- we did this, this many times, here are the results, this is what we think it means........ it was reviewed by....

personaly my opinion is that air causes death.... as everyone i have found that comes into contact with it dies eventually, therefore this should be investigated and legislation and safety measures put into place to prevent exposure......(in Ca of course it is already a known carcinogen & dangerous to pregnant mothers... (exactly what other sorts of pregnant creatures there may be we have yet to discover))

now I appreciate that this is taking the pi55, :rolleyes: but so are reports that say xyz may be linked to..... because it is just as fair... in fact much farer in 99.9% of cases to say..... that xyz may not be linked to....

Evan
12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
The report that Macona linked to describes the precise mechanism of the toxicity of C-60. Do you doubt that?

macona
12-03-2011, 04:45 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cell_phones.png

Evan
12-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Correlation does not prove causation though. Maybe holding plastic devices that gradually release toxic plasticizer fumes near your nose is a bad thing.

Paul Alciatore
12-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Correlation does not prove causation though. Maybe holding plastic devices that gradually release toxic plasticizer fumes near your nose is a bad thing.

I can give you an absolute 1:1 relationship between deaths by any cause and a pre-existing condition. Absolutely every person, amimal, plant, etc. that ever died had this condition prior to death. And if we stamp out this condition, I can absolutely guarantee you that there will never be another death.

And what is this horrible condition?
Well, this horrible condition is life. Stamp out all life and you will eliminate death on a permanent basis. The statistics back this up with a 100% correlation.

I can PROVE anything with statistics. ANYTHING. The real trick with statistics (studies) is the correct interpretation of the data. What does it really mean?

Evan
12-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Correlation does not measure if events are causually connected, such as death following life. It only measures the degree to which the events have some sort of existential synchronicity. Determining if and how they have a causal relationship is an entirely different matter.

Even though there is a 100% correlation between death following life the correlation does not prove it is true. It is merely an observation, not a proof.

macona
12-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Since I have no life I don't have to worry about dying!

mike os
12-04-2011, 07:17 AM
The report that Macona linked to describes the precise mechanism of the toxicity of C-60. Do you doubt that?

no, but I question the methodology, dose, real world effect and actual risk when no DATA is present,

Merely stating that something may represent a risk is just plain bull****, however you dress it up.. saying that exposure to xxx a day for yyy days produces zzz effect in xx% of test subjects is real data.....

Anything "MAY" have an undesirable effect, even pure O2, but I strongly suggest that eliminating exposure to this highly corrosive gas is not to be reccomended.

Data is what seperates speculation from science, with no meaningful data, honestly interpreted, you can make up whatever bull**** you like and some idiot will believe you.

Evan
12-04-2011, 09:13 AM
The toxicity of some C-60 nano particles is very well documented. The important part is that the toxicity was entirely unexpected since the toxicity was not considered likely or even possible. The reason it was a surprise is because there is no chemical difference between C-60 and other forms of carbon. The toxicity is a result of only the morphology of the molecule rather than its reactivity. This was previously unknown and not predicted. This form of toxicity is also particularly dangerous as it affects all life forms with a cell membrane.

Given this knowledge we now realize that there are certain to be similar hazards associated with other novel engineered nano materials. It is unreasonable to expect that C-60 is the only possible example. At present we have no way of predicting what other nano materials may be similarly hazardous but there will be others.

Nanotechnology is like many other technologies in one important aspect. It is a two edged sword. It holds the potential for significant benefits and serious harm. The catch is that unlike dynamite, the serious harm is not readily apparent before the fact. We are currently at the "playing with fire" stage of development.

johnnyd
12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Getting back to the original topic.....I'm wondering if this stuff will also protect a surface from atmospheric moisture (humidity)?

I'm thinking in terms of protecting bare aluminum from corrosion due to atmospheric moisture, condensation, acid rain, etc. (think polished aluminum aircraft)

Since paint = weight, this could save the aircraft industry millions.

(it might even be beneficial to the little airplane I'm building):D

H*ll, it might even help to prevent R*st!!!:D

Evan
12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
That is a good example of the two edged sword problem. While the material may repel water extremely well what other effects may it have? It is only hydrophobic, not "everything-phobic". While it repels water very well it may attract other materials that you don't want hanging around aluminum, such as sulphur compounds in city smog.

Also, what if it prevents cold welding of pure aluminum? The seams on a riveted aircraft skin depend in part on the ability of the pure aluminum coating of the Alclad alloy to cold weld when the material scuffs with tiny movements under load. That helps to prevent further relative movement at the seams and that prevents the rivets from loosening.