PDA

View Full Version : OA Aluminum fillet brazing possible?

softtail
12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Hello All. I searched the forum and didn't find any info that answered my question exactly.

Is it possible to get small radius fillets in a round mitered tube to tube joint (think bicycle frame) with aluminum?

I braze steel all the time with my OA setup, and I'm wondering if I could do the same with Al for a game cart project I'm working on. Some of the square butt weld videos on the web have me thinking it may work if the miters are clean and tight...

Thanks!

st

shawnspeed
12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
the temp difference between welding AL and Brazing is very small, so why not just weld it & be done???I have some of the "fix-it all" AL braze rod that you supposedly can use with a propane torch & flux...the same flux that you can use to OA weld the aluminum with, I have found that it does work( used to fill some holes in AL gas tank I repaired) the braze was harder than the weld areas that I also did on the same tank....it is also a different color...It should wick just like bronze on steel from what I've seen, but you will have to be very carefull not to overheat the joint...Good luck ..Shawn

softtail
12-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I asked Muggyweld as well, and they yes it can be done and to use their Super Alloy 5.

I was thinking brazing because it's what I can do. I envisioned welding Al to be too big of a learning curve at this point. It would be quite a few joints, some close to one another. Curious to see how much distortion I get.

Guess I'll get some supplies and see what I can do.

st