View Full Version : OA Aluminum fillet brazing possible?

12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Hello All. I searched the forum and didn't find any info that answered my question exactly.

Is it possible to get small radius fillets in a round mitered tube to tube joint (think bicycle frame) with aluminum?

I braze steel all the time with my OA setup, and I'm wondering if I could do the same with Al for a game cart project I'm working on. Some of the square butt weld videos on the web have me thinking it may work if the miters are clean and tight...

12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
the temp difference between welding AL and Brazing is very small, so why not just weld it & be done???I have some of the "fix-it all" AL braze rod that you supposedly can use with a propane torch & flux...the same flux that you can use to OA weld the aluminum with, I have found that it does work( used to fill some holes in AL gas tank I repaired) the braze was harder than the weld areas that I also did on the same tank....it is also a different color...It should wick just like bronze on steel from what I've seen, but you will have to be very carefull not to overheat the joint...Good luck ..Shawn

12-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I asked Muggyweld as well, and they yes it can be done and to use their Super Alloy 5.

I was thinking brazing because it's what I can do. I envisioned welding Al to be too big of a learning curve at this point. It would be quite a few joints, some close to one another. Curious to see how much distortion I get.

Guess I'll get some supplies and see what I can do.