PDA

View Full Version : BP R2E3 Retrofit ideas (want opinions)

legendboy
12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey guys I would like to bounce my retrofit hardware ideas off you guys before I start spending money

As stated in my other thread, my R2E3 control works but has communication issues when talking with a pc.

I thought it would be interesting to learn to use the old control but now I want to just retrofit with a modern type control with conversational type programing

Here is what I am thinking:

2x Granite VSD-XE-160 drives (dual axis mode)
2x VSD-E/XE installation kit
1x SPS-600-126 Power Supply
http://www.granitedevices.fi/index.php?q=servo-drive-vsd-e

1x 12vdc switching ps scavanged from equipment
Reusing my powertron servos
AMT103 encoders
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/AMT103-V%20KIT/102-1308-ND/827016

For a control i am giving USBCNC CPU5A4E a serious look.
From a cost standpoint it is at the upper end for this project, likely around $600CAD shipped.

http://www.edingcnc.com/index.php?pagina=detail_producten&productenid=55

A simple microatx pc setup and likely a touchscreen lcd monitor.

I think* i can have this project running for around $2k but I suppose there are always unforseens. This being my first retrofit, i am counting on it.

My goal for this project is to have a really nice cnc mill with a really nice, clear, concise, logical modern control. Reliability is at the top of the priority list
Anyways I would appreciate any feedback on these components

MaxHeadRoom
12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
1x SPS-600-126 Power Supply

1x 12vdc switching ps scavanged from equipment

AMT103 encoders

For a control i am giving USBCNC CPU5A4E a serious look.

I personally prefer linear supplies, they are generally more rugged and easier to fix, also if you get one with a Toroidal type transformer is is relatively very easy to put a few turns overwind on for the 12v.
Check out Antek.

12v supply, see above.

Check out US digital encoder, higher quality and still cheap.

Look at Dynomotion controller, true closed loop if using servo and has Mach plug-in screen if preferred. Support is A+.
If you already have servo's do you need new encoders? or do they use resolver?
Max.

legendboy
12-05-2011, 05:59 PM
I personally prefer linear supplies, they are generally more rugged and easier to fix, also if you get one with a Toroidal type transformer is is relatively very easy to put a few turns overwind on for the 12v.
Check out Antek.

12v supply, see above.

Will check it out. The comment about a few turns overwind for 12v is above my knowledge of power supplies :o

Check out US digital encoder, higher quality and still cheap.

The company I got a quote from for the Granite drives also suggested using US digital encoders

Look at Dynomotion controller, true closed loop if using servo and has Mach plug-in screen if preferred. Support is A+.
If you already have servo's do you need new encoders? or do they use resolver?
Max.

I would like to use something other then Mach, do something a bit different then the majority.

Dynomotion looks like a nice package, but does not have any conversational type programing on the software side. Just load gcode and run.

Granite drive re seller suggested I replace the encoders with new ones

MaxHeadRoom
12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Will check it out. The comment about a few turns overwind for 12v is above my knowledge of power supplies :o

In the whole scheme of things involved in retro-fitting a CNC machine, it's a fairly simple procedure, especially if you don't need a regulated supply.

Dynomotion looks like a nice package, but does not have any conversational type programing on the software side.

AFAIK there is no DIY CNC package that offer conversational programming?

Granite drive re seller suggested I replace the encoders with new ones

Any particular reason given?

Max.

legendboy
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
In the whole scheme of things involved in retro-fitting a CNC machine, it's a fairly simple procedure, especially if you don't need a regulated supply.

Thanks, good to know

AFAIK there is no DIY CNC package that offer conversational programming?

The functionality is there in the latest software

and.. since the latest releases, USBCNC features a new function to one of the most versatile commands..
the DLGMSG ( DiaLoGMeSsaGe ) will now look for an image to display, making clear what value is for wich function..
Let me dig up a picture of that..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a220/ArieKabaalstra/Beagle-1/DLGMSG-1.jpg

I've drawn a picture of a rectangular pocket.. and i've threwn some dimensions into it. this basically shows you what value to put where, to get a pocket of a certain size..
When you put the code for this parametric pocket in one of the user subs, you can push the matching butten ( for wich you can also make a custom icon as i stated before) and get your "Cycle", key in the numbers hit Enter, and off you go..

Any particular reason given?

Max.

He said "they are very unreliable and the bulbs get dim...etc..."

MaxHeadRoom
12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Are you sure that is not using canned shapes, rather than true conversational programming?

The encoder must be the older incandescent lamp types!
Max.

legendboy
12-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Are you sure that is not using canned shapes, rather than true conversational programming?

The encoder must be the older incandescent lamp types!
Max.

I would say there is a very good chance I have my definitions wrong

I have no idea on what type of encoder an old 1984 BEI 425G-250-ABZC-8630-SM 2-S is. Google isn't too much help

MaxHeadRoom
12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I always thought the incandescent encoders on B.P. were heidenhain, maybe Granite assumed that was so?
That appears to be a 250p/rev BEI encoder with ABZ and complementary outputs, are you sure that No. is not 8830? as this is a typical output IC for the BEI, the 8630 does not jive?
If you send a P.M. to George in the B.P. forum in the CNCzone he may be able to confirm the encoder as he is/was a B.P. maintenance man.
The resolution is a bit low by modern standards though.
Max.

legendboy
01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey Max can you double check my math? :D

I took these encoders apart and they have already been retrofitted with ir led by some motor repair place.

They are 250 quadrature so 1000 points readable per inch

x 2:1 pulley reduction x 5tpi screw = 10,000 steps per inch

I have my test motor drive tuned decent and am controlling it via usbcnc, but I need to get all my settings entered correctly.

I ran the servo at 1200rpm in usbcnc, measured servo shaft with my elcheapo chinese laser tach and it read 2400 exactly so things are looking good i think

macona
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Looks like you have it right.

You are tuning off the machine? Don't get too carried away. You will have to retune once there is a load on the motor.

legendboy
01-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks macona, yep off the machine. I will re tune the PID once limit switches are setup

It was easier for me to test the ps, drives, control and motor off the machine initially