PDA

View Full Version : abrupt thread closing

tdmidget
12-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Why would a thread like the one about the markings in the Gobi desert be closed with no explanation? If there is something objectionable then there should be at least a reason given. If you don't like it then don't read it.

Deja Vu
12-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Our's is not to reason why, but rather to do or die. :rolleyes:

TGTool
12-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Shoot. I thought the thread with this title would have been about threading on the lathe, maybe stopping at a point other than a shoulder, or even milling a thread to terminate at a rotational position. It might have been about half nut application at a determinate point. I've made some threads in the middle of a piece so they didn't start or stop at an open end and maybe this was going to be a discussion of those challenges. No such luck. If I'd known that I would have skipped this one too. :p

MichaelP
12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Evan started to reveal too many national secrets, so the thread was closed by the NSA, and he got snatched at midnight by people arrived in a black helicopter.

aboard_epsilon
12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
well i cant post there ..
anyway ..i think the marks are not marks ..they are reflections off something in space ..a mirror or something .

all the best.markj

Paul Alciatore
12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Perhaps it was just a bit too far off topic. This may be one of the more tolerant boards on the web and I like that, but as far as I can see there was no machining related content there.

tdmidget
12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Perhaps it was just a bit too far off topic. This may be one of the more tolerant boards on the web and I like that, but as far as I can see there was no machining related content there.

Then there should have been a reason given. I think Evan just got caught with a coal pile at his "nuke".:D

DFMiller
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Some people seem to figure it out. Some don't.
Dave

George Bulliss
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Then there should have been a reason given. I think Evan just got caught with a coal pile at his "nuke".:D

If you have to ask for the reason, then you probably wonít understand the answer.

George

tdmidget
12-06-2011, 12:12 PM
In a forum that currently has threads about Volvo roof leaks and what to do with old camcorders I think was not the least out of line. Your attempt at insult is noted.

George Bulliss
12-06-2011, 12:29 PM
In a forum that currently has threads about Volvo roof leaks and what to do with old camcorders I think was not the least out of line. Your attempt at insult is noted.

Donít take it personally, Iím just not a big fan of having threads pop up asking me why I locked something.

In this case, the OT thread pretty much ran its course a couple of weeks ago and its latest incarnation looked more like an argument to me than a useful discussion. I do let OT threads survive, but there are limits and locks will happen.

George

Weston Bye
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I find these OT threads amusing - up to a point. They are usually about some arcane subject with little or no hard information available. One or several "experts" put forth their informed and considered opinion, with references to Google, Wikipedia, E-Bay and other reliable sources. These opinions are delivered with invincible certitude.

The experts are then challenged by other denizens of the board with equal certainty, bolstered with other equally reliable but conflicting references and sources.

The threads usually start with informative and rational discussion, but then devolved down to the death spiral of bickering, where no more useful, or at entertaining, information is being put forth.

The thread is closed, somewhat past time for the axe - a sign of a tolerant moderator.

loose nut
12-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Is that the one in China or the one he is building in his basement.

Evan
12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
They use white helicopters this time of year.

I will point out that there is also a good business case for letting a thread with a title like "What are the Chinese up to" run for a while. It will be found on Google by a lot of people and some of them will come to this forum for the first time. Some of them will stay.

A search on Google for "What are the Chinese up to" in quotes puts the thread on this forum in the number 8 spot out of 29,000 hits. Not bad.

Off topic posts are good for a forum if they are controlled. A thread about cleaning headlights will pull in a lot of visitors with auto maintenance experience that didn't know about the forum. Some of them will stay too.

Weston Bye
12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Even a closed thread will Google, and a closed thread that needed closing ceases to continue demonstrating silliness.

aboard_epsilon
12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
They use white helicopters this time of year.

I will point out that there is also a good business case for letting a thread with a title like "What are the Chinese up to" run for a while. It will be found on Google by a lot of people and some of them will come to this forum for the first time. Some of them will stay.

A search on Google for "What are the Chinese up to" in quotes puts the thread on this forum in the number 8 spot out of 29,000 hits. Not bad.

Off topic posts are good for a forum if they are controlled. A thread about cleaning headlights will pull in a lot of visitors with auto maintenance experience that didn't know about the forum. Some of them will stay too.

That's true ..id never heard of the magazine ..and found this place whilst looking for something not related to machining

Black_Moons
12-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I found this place while asking other machinists what forum had the best, most tollerant moderator. (And lots of traffic..)

We might get annoyed at george locking the odd thread, but overall id say hes more tollerant then most moderators. And at least he allows a little bit of our 'shop language' here!

Rustybolt
12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Well. George puts up with me, so hes got that going for him. The rest of you are pretty much a bunch of aholes though. ;-)

justanengineer
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Evan started to reveal too many national secrets, so the thread was closed by the NSA, and he got snatched at midnight by people arrived in a black helicopter.

Luckily he's in Canada, here they can legally take you away in the daytime now... :p

IMHO George is by far one of more generous mods...he even puts up with my silly attempts at humor.

lazlo
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
We all know George did the right thing, and tdmidget, it wasn't directed at you...

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I find these OT threads amusing - up to a point. They are usually about some arcane subject with little or no hard information available. One or several "experts" put forth their informed and considered opinion, with references to Google, Wikipedia, E-Bay and other reliable sources. These opinions are delivered with invincible certitude.

The experts are then challenged by other denizens of the board with equal certainty, bolstered with other equally reliable but conflicting references and sources.

The threads usually start with informative and rational discussion, but then devolved down to the death spiral of bickering, where no more useful, or at entertaining, information is being put forth.

The thread is closed, somewhat past time for the axe - a sign of a tolerant moderator.

Very well said.

Chris S.
12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Shoot. I thought the thread with this title would have been about threading on the lathe, maybe ........
Just goes to show that the studies that claim alcohol dulls your senses are all wet! When I first scanned the titles on the first page I saw this and thought exactly what you thought. I didn't read it though. About an hour and a half and a few cocktails later, I read though the titles again. Damn! ...This time I expected to read exactly this. Excuse me... I have to go to the frig and study this phenomenon more thoroughly. :rolleyes: