PDA

View Full Version : BP knee power feed requirement

legendboy
12-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I am wondering if a 135"lb servo power feed has enough torque to be used on a Series 1 bridgeport knee?

lakeside53
12-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Servo recommends that you do not... and use a 150 or 200... My 140 really "notices" my knee... and that's with just a vice on it. Load it up and it groans.

Their site still lists the 140 as "ok" for the standard BP - not for series 2 or clones with heavy knees.

RWO
12-07-2011, 01:16 PM
You could check the torque with a simple fish scale and a wrench or the original handle. My BP takes about 8ft-# to budge the knee upwards. Triple that for running at speed ( WAG). I'd say it would work.

RWO

legendboy
12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
You could check the torque with a simple fish scale and a wrench or the original handle. My BP takes about 8ft-# to budge the knee upwards. Triple that for running at speed ( WAG). I'd say it would work.

RWO

good idea, will try

macona
12-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Plus the mounting kit is totally different than the horizontal axis kits.

legendboy
12-07-2011, 02:56 PM
^ true

I have had this thing kicking around for years brand new in the box, figured i might be able to adapt to my new mills knee

lakeside53
12-07-2011, 03:16 PM

RWO

if your wag is correct... triple 8ft lb is nearly 300 inch lb.

My 140 (inch lb) is sluggish at best which isn't good for it.

Sparky_NY
12-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I have the knee on my series one set up with a servo. I used a allen bradley PM DC motor that I got on fleabay new for $125. I am driving the original shaft where the crank used to be with a 2:1 belt driveand the original screw/gears. The motor is 40 lb-in stall torque rated nema 42 nearly identical to the factory bridgeport servos on the other axis. Originally, I designed for 100 in/min max feedrate but screwed up because the motor rpm I later found out was its unloaded speed, loaded speed is more like 80% of that. At any rate, it will run at 80ipm reliably but I set it at 70ipm which it has run at for over a year now. I used no gas springs or counterweights at all. With a change in the belt drive ratio it may be capable of more but 70ipm is scary fast for that amount of iron to be moving.

I am very pleased with the performance. My quill is servo driven also and used for cutting moves. I use the knee to send tool length offsets to only, not for cutting moves.

Davo J
12-07-2011, 03:35 PM
My mill came with a X power feed and I fitted a Y and Z axis power feed. For the Z they give you and extension shaft to go over the original shaft, but if you put some thought into you will be able to adapt it no problems.

When I fitted it to my HM52 which is the Grizzly 3617 over their I just made up a new knee elevation shaft so I could keep the original one if I ever needed it latter on when I sell it. I then fitted the extension to this, but you could just machine it to suit the power feed needle roller bearing.
Here is a link to mine
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/installing-knee-power-feed-hm50-52-grizzly-3616-17-a-116608/

As for if it will have enough power, Bridgeport mills lift the knee .100 per turn, where mine lifts the table .250 per turn. I can hear the 150 load up a bit, but it does the job fine and has been in use for around 4 years now, so a 130 on your should do the job.

I have a picture on my computer somewhere where one guy used a chain and sprockets on a power feed to gear it down, and it was a compact set up.
Just found the link
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=83981&hilit=knee+power+feed

Dave

legendboy
12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
^ i might rig something like that up, maybe make a cover for the chain and sprockets.

I don't really care if it is slowish, as long as i don't have to hand crank it. series 1 cnc knee is pretty heavy

I have the knee on my series one set up with a servo. I used a allen bradley PM DC motor that I got on fleabay new for $125. I am driving the original shaft where the crank used to be with a 2:1 belt driveand the original screw/gears. The motor is 40 lb-in stall torque rated nema 42 nearly identical to the factory bridgeport servos on the other axis. Originally, I designed for 100 in/min max feedrate but screwed up because the motor rpm I later found out was its unloaded speed, loaded speed is more like 80% of that. At any rate, it will run at 80ipm reliably but I set it at 70ipm which it has run at for over a year now. I used no gas springs or counterweights at all. With a change in the belt drive ratio it may be capable of more but 70ipm is scary fast for that amount of iron to be moving.

I am very pleased with the performance. My quill is servo driven also and used for cutting moves. I use the knee to send tool length offsets to only, not for cutting moves.

I read about that in one of your threads somewhere, I already have this power feed, don't really want to spend any more money at this point

quasi
12-08-2011, 01:15 AM
legend boy , I have 135's on my x and y feeds, a 150 on the knee feed, it handles the knee pretty well. This is on my Bridgeport.

If buying power feeds one axis at a time, I would go X axis, then Knee feed , then y feed.

Buy your feeds in the U.S., KBC Canada's and Travers prices are nuts.

legendboy
12-08-2011, 03:56 PM
legend boy , I have 135's on my x and y feeds, a 150 on the knee feed, it handles the knee pretty well. This is on my Bridgeport.

If buying power feeds one axis at a time, I would go X axis, then Knee feed , then y feed.

Buy your feeds in the U.S., KBC Canada's and Travers prices are nuts.

My mill is a series 1 cnc bridgeport, so I only need a feed on the knee.

i think the series 1 cnc knee is way larger and heavier then the standard bridgeport

RWO
12-08-2011, 05:50 PM
According to this: http://servoproductsco.com/html/type_140_power_feed.html

a 140 will do the knee on a BP series 1.

RWO