PDA

View Full Version : general purpose camera

darryl
12-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Just bought a Canon SX130IS a few days ago. Have only just begun playing with it, but it seems decent. Price was pretty good and I couldn't resist. It won't replace my Casio completely, but in several years the capabilities have risen sharply. This is a 12meg, 12x optical zoom, well featured pocket camera, though on the large size for a pocket model. It suits my needs. The casio is a 4 meg, 3x optical zoom, with a buttonhole size viewscreen by comparison, though I have taken some awesome pictures with it.

Anyone have this camera, and what do you think of it?

armedandsafe
12-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I have carried the Canon SD750 for several years as a backup for when I'm out and about without one or more of my Nikon SLRs. I have taken pictures for my professional portfolio with it and been pleased.

I think the little Casio will do you quite well, if you pay attention to its rule book. ;)

Pops

darryl
12-12-2011, 02:34 AM
It's the Canon I'm talking about Pops, though you know that- the Casio is my old one.

Playing by it's rules- yes, that's what it is going to train me to do :) It's supposed to be able to focus to one centimeter, and for the type of shooting I often do, the 12x optical zoom will get me the close-ups without having to carefully align my binocular with the lens, then operate the camera besides. Laugh if you will, but I've done that and it works. Not well mind you. I've also grafted a zoom lens onto the Casio, which is bulky and not very vacation-friendly.

I have a Rebel XT which I use for serious photography, but it's too bulky to carry around everywhere, especially when you add the telephoto, so this new (to me) Canon should be good.