• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZINOM
    • Jul 2002

Thank you George!

Bold type photo notations = awesome.

I don't think I missed it in any previous issues but the new issue of MW has the photo numbers in the articles printed in bold.

I'm not always interested in reading all the articles but there are plenty of times I'm intrigued by a picture of a set-up or a part and just want to know what's going on in the photo but having the photo notation blend in with the rest of the copy made it more of a run around than helpful.

I hope you continue to do this in all future issues of MW and HSM.

Thanks again, it may be a small thing but it makes the magazine that much more enjoyable.

John
  • George Bulliss
    Administrator
    • Jan 2008

Hard to find photo references in the text is something we hear about from the readers now and then and this is an attempt to try to make things a little easier. I planned to try it out in MW and, if all goes well and I hear more positive than negative feedback, I’ll make the change in HSM and DM.

I’ll put your comments in the positive column. Thanks for letting me know.

George
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

• Glenn Nicol
      • Jul 2008

I am one of the people that had mentioned this to George a while back. I am happy to see the bold type to indicate which photo the text is revering to.

Thanks George!

Glenn

Comment

• lynnl
        • Jan 2002

Well I'll have to confess that I had not noticed that. But now that it's been pointed out, I too give it a big "thumbs up."

But having just gone back and looked through it I see that at least two of the articles (by R.G. Sparber and Doug Ripka) were illustrated the old way, with non-bold photo and detail drawing numbers. I assume that was some sort of test.

Along this line though, one thing I've sometimes seen, that's bothersome to me is the inconsistency in the numbering system for photos and for detail drawings (or sometimes denoted as FIGURE xx). Sometimes one, and the same, number sequence is used for both, and sometimes the photos and drawings each enjoy its own separate sequence. That's always a bit distracting and disruptive to me in trying to follow the flow of the article. I've always assumed the differences were simply due to the different authors' useages as submitted. Personally, I'd probably prefer seeing them referenced with separate numbers, but regardless of which is used, I'd prefer consistency.

(added) I'm not saying there's inconsistency within the same article, but between one article and another.
        Also, maybe I'm just recalling older articles from years past and as published in the hardback books. Maybe this has been changed in more recent years.
        Last edited by lynnl; 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• DFMiller
          • Jan 2005

George,
          Yes it makes it easier.
          Its always challenging to correlate pictures to text.
          Its make the article more powerful.
          Thanks
          Dave

Comment

• George Bulliss
            Administrator
            • Jan 2008

Thanks for the comments. I had to go back and look, but you’re right, there were a few articles that didn’t receive the changes. I would like to say it was intentional, but it was simply a mistake due in part to a few articles having been worked up beforehand and in part due to the fact that they guy that usually spots the little details, Craig Foster, has moved on in search of greener pastures. So basically, I missed it. The new guy, Daron Klooster, started two weeks ago and future issues should benefit from having another set of eyes on them.

Regarding the numbering of photos and drawings: We do try for consistency in our numbering and naming structure, though there are times when one size does not fit all. It’s always a balancing act between keeping as much of the author’s style and voice as possible and hammering the article into consistency.

The basic rules for numbering and naming are: Photos will start at 1 and are numbered in the order of mention in the text. Figures (drawings showing an assembly or general view) start at 1 and continue in the order of mention. Details (part or component detail drawings) start at 1 and go from there. Articles that are a continuation will start where the numbering left off in the last part.

George
            George
            Traverse City, MI

Comment

• lynnl
              • Jan 2002

Originally posted by George Bulliss
              Regarding the numbering of photos and drawings: We do try for consistency in our numbering and naming structure, though there are times when one size does not fit all. It’s always a balancing act between keeping as much of the author’s style and voice as possible and hammering the article into consistency.

The basic rules for numbering and naming are: Photos will start at 1 and are numbered in the order of mention in the text. Figures (drawings showing an assembly or general view) start at 1 and continue in the order of mention. Details (part or component detail drawings) start at 1 and go from there. Articles that are a continuation will start where the numbering left off in the last part.

George
              Ok, that sounds like exactly what I would vote for.

It's not really an issue I'd fall on my sword over, one way or another, but... it is nicer when everything appears logical.

I'm sure a one-time reader probably wouldn't notice or voice a preference, but to those reading the articles month after month, for years, it does become noticeable.

At any rate, Thanks George! You do good work!
              Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you folks there at Village Press!

Lynn
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Toolguy
                • Jan 2010

Bold Numbers

Thanks George! That is a useful and much appreciated change.
                Kansas City area

Comment

• George Bulliss
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2008

I figured the bolding would be a welcome change; I always highlight the photo mentions when I’m proofing. Chances are it will carry over to the other magazines, but it will be an issue or two before you see it. The winter DM is already in art and most of the M/A HSM is as well. I know better (now) than to change things up on the artist in mid-layout.

Merry Christmas to you too Lynn – and all you others out there! Thanks for the support of the magazines and please keep it up; I really don’t want to have to go back to a real job again!

George
                  George
                  Traverse City, MI

Comment

• gregl
                    • Dec 2011

Perhaps putting cutlines adjacent to the photos would help, too. Most other publications do this.
                    Greg Lewis
                    Eyeball Engineering
                    Our motto: That looks about right.
                    Turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap since 1983.

Comment

Working...
                    X