PDA

View Full Version : Dividing Head Chuck?

Ohio Mike
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Iím looking for some input. Iím considering purchasing a dividing head in the near future. Iím thinking of the typical import B&S clone with 7-7/8í swing and MT2 taper (like Enco #203-4000). For those that have one of these Iím wondering what size chuck youíre using? Chuck suggestions are appreciated too.

Pherdie
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I think you'll find that many dividing heads of this type also have a 1 1/2 X 8 TPI shaft that will directly accept a chuck (i.e.: chucks used on some South Bend models).

Many heads also come with a threaded plate that will mount to a plain chuck to the dividing head, mine did. A six inch chuck would be about right for that size head.

dwentz
12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I have the Enco dividing head. Have only used it a few times. I have used mt2 collets, and I have an adapter that is MT2 -> 3/4-16 threaded and use the chucks from my Taig Lathe and a larger 6 inch 3/4-16 3 jaw chuck that I have. The dividing head has a 1 1/2-8 thread on it but I do not have any chucks that size. I guess the real question is how big of stuff do you need to hold? Most everything that I have done has been mounted on an arbor so the chuck size was not that important.

Dale

Ohio Mike
12-13-2011, 10:21 PM
I have the Enco dividing head. Have only used it a few times. I have used mt2 collets, and I have an adapter that is MT2 -> 3/4-16 threaded and use the chucks from my Taig Lathe and a larger 6 inch 3/4-16 3 jaw chuck that I have. The dividing head has a 1 1/2-8 thread on it but I do not have any chucks that size. I guess the real question is how big of stuff do you need to hold? Most everything that I have done has been mounted on an arbor so the chuck size was not that important.

Dale

I have several nice chucks (Buck, Cushman, Skinner) but they're all 2-1/4" for a South Bend Heavy 10. I can't say what size of work I'd be doing but typically most is larger than a MT2 collet, so I'd either have to setup to work between centers or use a chuck. I wasn't sure how big of a chuck I could swing without interference. My initial thought would be if you were working on something rather large a 6" chuck could be an issue as the jaws could extend out past the 7 plus inches of swing. Its extremely unlikely that I'd have to work something that large. Also I had concerns about defection from a heavy chuck.

Video Man
12-14-2011, 12:07 AM
I’m looking for some input. I’m considering purchasing a dividing head in the near future. I’m thinking of the typical import B&S clone with 7-7/8’ swing and MT2 taper (like Enco #203-4000). For those that have one of these I’m wondering what size chuck you’re using? Chuck suggestions are appreciated too.

I bought a 4 inch 3 jaw and a 4 inch 4 jaw and 1- 1/2x8tpi backplates from Enco (about ten years ago, I assume they still have them).

They are plain plates that have be machined. I made a duplicate male spindle from 12L14 to match the thread on the dividing head and mounted the plates in the lathe with that for turning. Fortunately mine is a real imperial thread instead of a close-metric approximation, as I have heard some of these import DH spindles may be. If I had to go with just one chuck I'd have bought the 4-jaw. At the time I bought they were Yuasa chucks, pretty nice for the price. FWIW the taper on mine is the traditional B&S taper, #2 Morse makes more sense if that's what you get.

Ohio Mike
12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Good info. If I have to cut the back plate then I'll have to make an arbor to hold in one of my existing chucks. It could prove useful later as long as I can get it dialed back in. Then I could move work from the dividing head to the lathe and back without removing it from the chuck.

Video Man
12-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Something else I did was drill a series of small holes around the outside of the chuck plate, in order to insert a tool for loosening the chuck from the dividing head spindle if it got tight...just a thought....fwiw, Guy Lutard's Third Bedside Reader page 63 has a section on how to fit an unmachined backplate to a lathe and chuck....come to think of it, this is where I got the idea for the tommy-bar holes in the first place...I machined the false spindle and left it in place in the chuck to do the actual work on the back plates to insure concentricity....

Ohio Mike
12-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Good idea, and I had another thought this evening. As long as I was happy with a 1" arbor I could machine it so it would fit in a 5c collet. I could machine some flats around it for a wrench too.

Note to self, I really have to get a set of those Bedside Readers. :)