PDA

View Full Version : HSS cutting to itty bitty pieces, or do you need one?

Evan
02-08-2004, 02:44 AM
I have several 12" X 3/16" X 1 1/4" (all approximate) sawmill cobalt (I think) HSS (RC 62-65) planer blades that I am almost afraid to handle 'cause the edges are so sharp. They are about an inch or so wide (not including the edge). Ideas on the best way to cut these up into 3/16 cross section chunks to make tool bit stock without compromising properties?

Or, Do you have something to trade? I have three.

yf
02-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Maybe a tile saw.

winchman
02-08-2004, 04:47 AM
You might offer them on a woodworking forum. Someone probably has a planer that uses that size blade.

If you scored them with a narrow cutoff wheel, would you be able to snap them?

Roger

ARFF79
02-08-2004, 07:22 AM
In the shop I worked at that did mostly plastics, we used the planer blade stock that you have, to grind form tools. You can cut it to size with an abrasive cut-off disk or wheel in a surface grinder, with coolant to keep it from getting burnt. Then it can be ground to form anything your heart desires to cut. We mostly did gear tooth forms and used them in a custom fly cutter to make plastic gears with a dividing head on a Bridgeport. We also ground them to form spheres to be made into bearings. They can be used on a lathe to form metal as well. and the beauty of it is that to re-sharpen them, all you have to do is kiss the top surface on the grinder. This only works if you have a quick change tool post since you can adjust up to keep the tool on center, unless you want to make a special tool holder to use in the old rocker post set-up

Bill Cook
02-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Even

You can file them

in a safe place where they would get seen often enough to refresh the shortcut in the back of your mind.

http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v50/skytop19/MISC/J_085c.jpg

bc

Evan
02-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Bill,

He, he he... I can't file them, I have no space.

Roger,

Wood working? These are way too nice for that (I have done cabinet work, poor cousin to metal work, sorry Alistair), what do I have to lose?

Arf,

Yep, I will not let the "old" rocker tool post setup hold me back. I used a diamond insert a few weeks ago clamped between a couple of pieces of aluminum in my milling attachment vise to turn hard anodised aluminum (sapphire).

I have thought many times about making a turnstile tool post for my SB. Then I think about how easy it is to set the tool height with infinite adjustment on the boat. I have the time, and can make it exactly correct without packing in a few seconds. Why change?

Old fart is happy with his tools.

bernie
02-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Score them with a rotary tool, them break. Being that you want 3/16" pieces you will probably have to break them in a vise or a press. After breaking them, they will cleanup really nice with a grinder.

John Stevenson
02-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Evan,
I used to collect the old planer blades from the last place I worked at. These were 24", 36" or 48" long by about the same size you mention.
I nicked these with a grinder and snapped them wrapped in rag into 4" lengths.

I then milled a steel block up with a 7 degree agale on one face and a 30 degree angle on the other.
I then clamped a piece of this HSS strip to each face and clean each face on the surface grinder.
This then gave me a load of parting tool blades to slot inro a home made holder that fits my quick change toolpost.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/partingtool1.jpg

John S.

Evan
02-08-2004, 10:22 AM
John,

I will try that. I am at the moment cameraless but will document as soon as I can.

Ugg, it just occurred to me, I could use film...