PDA

View Full Version : Profile updates

Evan
12-15-2011, 01:04 PM
The forum has experienced a large increase in active membership lately. One thing I have noticed is that many members have not entered information on their approximate location. This can cause difficulty when questions are asked or advice offered that is location dependent. It only takes a minute to add some location info to your profile.

Click on the User CP link in the top left of the page. Then select Edit profile from the choices in the left column. Scroll down to Additional information and put something meaningful in the Where you live box. Click on Save changes and you are done.

Thank you.

lakeside53
12-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Hey EVAN, 52N 122W doesn't mean much to many users, but... it is a little better than nothing :D

flathead4
12-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Paste those numbers into google and you are there.

Black_Moons
12-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes, One thing many don't realise, Is you can be exact or as vauge as you want. (Well, Please be a little more exact then 'Earth', That does not narrow it down much for us..)

But even what country can be a BIG help when finding you the awnsers to questions. (Mills and lathes all spin backwards below the equator don'tch know! Just joking.. But some companys only ship to some countrys, And others will just have insane shipping/import dutys compaired to local companys)

No need to get any more exact them what city your in, for privacy reasons. And if you are conserned, No reason to put the *correct* city in, Just one nearby is more then good enough.

Danl
12-15-2011, 03:03 PM
By my way of thinking, I can get within about 85 miles of Evans home longitudinally, and about 138 miles by latitude. He should feel fairly safe that no one can hunt him down within that nearly 12,000 square mile rectangle. It is nice to know what continent our participants live on....

bborr01
12-15-2011, 03:23 PM
By my way of thinking, I can get within about 85 miles of Evans home longitudinally, and about 138 miles by latitude. He should feel fairly safe that no one can hunt him down within that nearly 12,000 square mile rectangle. It is nice to know what continent our participants live on....

After reading Evans posts for the last couple of years, I think I could almost drive to his house.

There is no reason to be so secret about your location. Just a general area is OK too.

Brian

Black Forest
12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Evan I think it is rediculous of you to make this post. You come on here and tell other people to post their location yet look at how you have your location.

Sure if someone is interested they of course could look it up but why should they have to go to the trouble.

Evan
12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
My location is easily determined by anyone. One should not give away too much information online that can be easily correlated with other sources. State, province, or even just country is plenty. When my location matters in a post I mention the name of at least the province so people don't have to look it up.

Giving my approximate coordinates is much more accurate than saying I live near Williams Lake. "Near" Williams lake includes about 100,000 sq kilometres. The coordinates I give are about 5 minutes from my house.

If others want to post lat and long that is plenty good enough.

armedandsafe
12-15-2011, 05:11 PM
The coordinates I give are about 5 minutes from my house.

Is that 5 minutes on foot, horse and buggy or Maserati? (Sorry, just couldn't resist. :p :D )

Pops

DougA
12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I agree with Black Forest. Why not lead by example or just stay quiet. No way I would bother putting a long and lat into google to see where someone is. Even Western Canada or BC Canada would be better then what you are showing.

sasquatch
12-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Good grief,,,,,,,,,,,,is it really that dangerous to post an area were you are from?

Like ??? are you wanted by the law or ex wife or something?

Willy
12-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Good grief,,,,,,,,,,,,is it really that dangerous to post an area were you are from?

Like ??? are you wanted by the law or ex wife or something?

I don't know Sasquatch, are you?:D

Seriously though having at least some sort of location is essential for a more accurate answer to a lot of the questions that a presented here on a daily basis.
Personally I belong to several sites that won't even allow a log-on to the site without a location posted because it is so essential.

Evan
12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
agree with Black Forest. Why not lead by example or just stay quiet.

It's a lot better than no location but I will alter it to make it easier to determine. I considered it before posting but then decided against it to see what the reaction might be.

Evan
12-15-2011, 06:21 PM

Identity theft is the real issue today.

Lew Hartswick
12-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Well I'm in Albuquerque NM and if you can spell it you should be able to find it. (it took me a bit of time after moving here to be able to spell it quickly) And if anyone wants to find me all it takes is a phone
book. :-)
...lew...

sasquatch
12-15-2011, 06:56 PM
The point Willy and others have made is answering some ones question to access to materials or machines etc would be much easier if the posters general area is known.

Reading a posting from someone with no general area,-- many don,t even list a country they are in---would make it more interesting and i,m sure more accurate responses to the question asked.

Re: identity theft: What could be stolen from someone posting on this site??

lynnl
12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Well I'm not in the identity theft business, but I'd imagine there are MANY FAR MORE productive ways to gather information needed to steal identities than going poking around on forums like this and gleaning a person's userid and general location.

Evan
12-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Google searches will turn up a lot of interesting information on people and very quickly too. This forum would be a handy way to find out what a person's hobbies and interests are. That is good information to use in convincing somebody that you either know them or are that person. It is the reason that I didn't use my last name in my forum name.

Evan
12-15-2011, 07:45 PM
It just took me about 3 minutes to find out Lew Hartswik's address, phone number, date of birth, previous occupation, some other detail and a photo of him suitable for forging photo ID. All the information came from other forums.

+ or - Zero
12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Evan is right on this one --general info just to help with stuff like sales is no doubt reasonable. But then from my view point I've responded to some forum issues where one might notice I may have some large quantities of weapons and ammunition, and other things, so I'm not too interested in being real precise --although I could be found easily enough if one was determined. With or without any info from a forum.

While security through obscurity is for beginners and the self deluded, it is still a valid part of a reasonable approach to being as secure as possible. Or at least not being stupidly naive.

But at the end of the day if you want to get mail you gotta give out your address --but that doesn't mean just give it to the world. Discretion remains the better part of valor.

As to Evan and his lat & long address I noticed that right away, but then I was born in Alaska and have traveled quite a bit in his general area going to or coming from --at least til we bought the plane, makes it a much quicker trip.

But by land I bet I've been within a mile or three of where ever he is many times. I might add enjoyed it to, I really love traveling in Canada. Before I got a bit to old, my wife and I used to vacation in various places in Canada --it was/is quite a break from the US in many, many, pretty nice ways.

Tony Ennis
12-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Are we really complaining about Evan's coords? 5 seconds in Google maps carries the day.

And anyone who has been here for month than a few days knows he's in Western Canada. Where men are men, women are men, and children are confused.

lakeside53
12-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Forget what Evan does - what if everyone used them? that would be pita...

tdmidget
12-15-2011, 10:05 PM
The point Willy and others have made is answering some ones question to access to materials or machines etc would be much easier if the posters general area is known.

Reading a posting from someone with no general area,-- many don,t even list a country they are in---would make it more interesting and i,m sure more accurate responses to the question asked.

Re: identity theft: What could be stolen from someone posting on this site??

Apparently someone stole your location right off the screen:D. So , are you in the witness protection program or some such?

CCWKen
12-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Some years ago, someone posted their address and a butt-wipe proceeded to post the owner's tax records. It created stir larger than any I've seen on this forum. While the records are public information, it scared a lot of people into obscurity. Those that have contacted me off line for one reason or another always get my full name and address when necessary. I just don't care to add to the possibility of receiving scams.

It's bad enough getting "newsletters" from that other forum. :D

JFLingg
12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Checked my profile and there was so little info in it, I almost didn't exist. It's better now. Thanks, Evan.
JFLingg

uncle pete
12-15-2011, 11:11 PM
All of the above are fair and logical reasons that have been listed. But any member should be able to at least have a general location. I'm tired of looking for where the person is so that if I have an answer that works for western Canaduh, Or even North America then I can post for that. My personal opinion? It should be mandatory to have your general location just to join. If your really that paranoid to refuse to list an area, Then just maybe you shouldn't even have a computer. Long. and latitude are easy enough. It is an address.

Any criminal types are more than welcome to try my home. My dogs favorite meal is people he doesn't know. He even scares me when I've suprised him.

Pete

oldtiffie
12-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Is there any reason why people who wish to have limited details posted can't make more use of the Private Message (PM) and email facilities provided in this BBS.

So far as I am aware, most if not all members can receive PM's but quite a few elect not to receive emails but apparantly reserve the right to send them - any reasons?

plunger
12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I notice the vast majority of members are from the us of america.I find it very irritating when someone says I can find it at harbour freight.I feel it should be compulsery to have at least the continent you live on mentioned.Not all of us are computer savvy.The last thing on earth (excuse the pun)I would think of is to google the co ordinates to find where a person lives. Brazil is good enough. I think its a brilliant idea.
Where is kunatistan? Is it an eastern bloc country or is it a real place or is it a canadian joke?:confused:

JRouche
12-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm John Rouche and I don't exist. If I did I would live in Southern California (Ventura County). JR

JRouche
12-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Google searches will turn up a lot of interesting information on people and very quickly too. This forum would be a handy way to find out what a person's hobbies and interests are. That is good information to use in convincing somebody that you either know them or are that person. It is the reason that I didn't use my last name in my forum name.

Google is VERY powerful... I typed in my screen name and searched "images" and all the pictures are my pictures (not necessarily my stuff, but my uploaded pics).

Hey Evan. The 20th pic from the top looks to be YOU!! LOL JR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/jrouche-1.jpg

MichaelP
12-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Where is kunatistan? Is it an eastern bloc country or is it a real place or is it a canadian joke?:confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canuck

v860rich
12-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks for this post I just edited mine!!!

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

dp
12-16-2011, 12:31 AM
After reading Evans posts for the last couple of years, I think I could almost drive to his house.

There is no reason to be so secret about your location. Just a general area is OK too.

Brian

I've driven to Evan's house and I can assure you the last 10 kilos is far worse than the first 500 :)

camdigger
12-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Humph

Location is so important, no-one seemed to notice when I changed mine.....

Willy
12-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Humph

Have you asked any questions lately where your location was key in an answer.
Don't expect people to make comments when a location or sig line has changed. It happens here on a daily basis and doesn't necessarily draw a lot of attention. But people do look there in order to direct their answers to questions like, where's the best place to buy 2" 1018 round bar.
Obviously we won't be sending you a source in Bolivia.:)

Mcgyver
12-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Humph

just because no one said anything doesn't mean no one noticed. We had some guys in Ankara this week - what takes you there?

is its squarely in the ridiculous column complaining about people not listing there locals and listing your own as lat/long. Squarely in the tin foil hat silly column thinking listing your town town on a forum exposes you to identity theft. Who can bothered googling peoples lat/long? What if everyone did that? Silly. And the value of knowing someones location for local suppliers is only part of it, its more the context it gives to the discussion overall; ie silver steel vs drill rod.

just say Williams Lake, BC or just BC if you're that worried and spare the bs, lead by example

lakeside53
12-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm with McGyver on this one.

Another reason for location that comes up often- are we talking US power, European power or whatever?

sasquatch
12-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Ok guys just got mine changed too!!!

(now Santa will be able to find me!!):D

He better NOT ask for any personal info, cause i,m not telling him anything,, just my christmas wish list!!:p

Weston Bye
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
North bay area? What bay? What state? Forgive my ignorance.

sasquatch
12-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Geez, i knew it!! Now i gotta go deeper to divulge my were abouts!!!!!!!!!!:D

North Bay area of Eastern Ontario,,,,,, ok,, now please don,t spread this around ok??:rolleyes:

Mcgyver
12-16-2011, 01:57 PM
wholy crap - you're in Ontario now? what will your western friends think ?:eek:

Evan
12-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Squarely in the tin foil hat silly column thinking listing your town town on a forum exposes you to identity theft.

You couldn't be more mistaken. Social networking and forum sites are the number one source of online identity theft information. I just demonstrated that last night earlier in the topic. You really should do some research before spouting off on something you obviously know nothing about.

Mcgyver
12-16-2011, 02:56 PM
like i said

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-H9Y6N-cGY5I/TcKpTyf_5IE/AAAAAAAAEqA/TMyczA_R82g/OfficialTinFoilHatConspiracyTheoryMember.jpg

i could care less if you wear one, but its a joke wearing one and telling everyone else not to

Evan
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Like I said.

Don't post private information on discussion lists or forums, even if they're alleged to be private. You never know who's listening.

This may seem obvious, but you would be surprised at how much private information we've seen posted in places it should never be!

http://www.scambusters.org/Scambusters47.html

i could care less if you wear one, but its a joke wearing one and telling everyone else not to

The lat and long is a lot more accurate than giving a city name but it can't be searched effectively.

BigMike782
12-16-2011, 04:41 PM
I can't believe this is being debated as vigorously as it is....sheesh.

sasquatch
12-16-2011, 04:52 PM
re: Being debated as vigorously as it is:

That,s what keeps some of these topics so entertaining !:D

Mcgyver
12-16-2011, 05:03 PM
re: Being debated as vigorously as it is:

That,s what keeps some of these topics so entertaining !:D

hey come on, enjoy the funny furry creatures...but no poking with sticks :D