PDA

View Full Version : digital display

mickm
02-08-2004, 08:57 AM
has anyone had experience with shooting star technologydigital display for mill? quality? service? thanks for any info. mickm

------------------

John Stevenson
02-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Mick,
Have a look at http://www.shumatech.com/
This is a 3 axis kit using cheap Chinese scales with a lot of features, edge finders, bolt circles, tool off sets, etc.
In fact a lot of features for not a lot of money.
There is a Yahoo group, link on the web site, where the users share help. There are some on the list who will built a unit up if you don't feel capable.
Another advantage is you can leave a set of scales on different machines and move the display between them.
The sofware is always being updated for free, a recent add on is the chance to use encoders and quaduture linear readers with this unit.

At the moment they are down to the accuracy of the Chinese scales at 0.0005" but I can see the time when these will be able to read and display the cheaper range of glass scales coming out of China at the moment.
When this does happen it won't be a throw away and buy again but just a software upgrade. Just think, a true tenth of a thou resolution for the cost of a hobby setup.

John S.

SGW
02-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Search the archives; the Shooting Star DRO has been discussed quite a bit in the past. A lot of people seem to like them a lot, but I looked hard at it and decided it wouldn't meet my needs. On the other hand, it might meet your needs.

My personal conclusions (your mileage may vary):
The Shooting Star folks give excellent service and support.
It's of good quality.
The accuracy is less than what I, personally, am looking for. Don't confuse "resolution" with "accuracy." They arent't the same thing at all.

ibewgypsie
02-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Also on different sites, encoder input via the parallel port. Old pc's are dirt cheap.

Looks to be a perfect application for cable remote driven encoders. Motorcycle throttle cables are cheap. So is the stainless braided wire. A good spring loading should remove any play.

Me? I am looking into the binary 16 bit encoders. Absolute positioning. So far they are overpriced. All the ones I have looked at have a gear train inside them and duplicate encoders for each bit.

The cheap DRO slides have a funny waveform output so I read. SO, adapting them to a pc would be a challenge.

I also play with robotics, finding a control-feedback scheme is always on the search mode. Using RC servos and air over oil Dampened cylinders, and two photo limits / solonoids you can position a arm. The oil dampens the BOUNCE I encountered. I have been wanting to use some of the chinese DRO scales as feedback to a pc. I got a book plumb full of things to do first thou.

If you see a article of adapting the chinese DRO scales to a pc port, please email me.

David

MikeHenry
02-08-2004, 01:46 PM
mickm,

I have a 3-axis Shooting Star on my Clausing 8520 and have been happy with it. I don't clean up very often and have yet to have a problem with chips fouling the rack, which is one concern that some have. The accuracy is rated by CBX as 0.002" per foot and my limited testing with my setup has verified this.

It was pretty simple to install and the racks were easy to cut to the length needed. I've never needed service, but understand that it is top notch. CBX will probably be at the NAMES show in Detroit at the end of April so you might want to stop by there if you are near by.

Mike

Mcostello
02-09-2004, 12:21 AM
total cost anyone?

John Stevenson
02-09-2004, 12:28 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mcostello1@msn.com:
total cost anyone?</font>

Of what ?

Mcostello
02-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Whole system ready to assemble.

Ian B
02-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Mick,
Try:

http://www.shumatech.com/order/items.php?PHPSESSID=1da58d6f35f6294e5332795a0d1ff2 7c

for the prices - looks dead cheap to me...

Ian

ibewgypsie
02-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Use the $7 encoder cables. I foresee problems with the solder on technique. Recently I tried to solder to a night vision scope tube and ruined a $120 part. AND=&gt;. I have done this for about 30+ years.

Different signals for the chinese scales. I looked over, the Mitiyo (spelling?) model has a differnet comm sub. I might have to purchase one of them to play with.

David

mickm
02-09-2004, 08:39 AM
wow, ask and ye shall receive. thanks to all who replied about dro. i am not a machinest but have as much fun with lathe and mill as anyone. i will look into all sugestions. thanks agn mick