PDA

View Full Version : OT: DIY autobody repair? No problem!

Tony
12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
and they wonder why this country is falling apart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngUy865jyEY&feature=player_embedded#!

wonder what happens when that patio step comes out of the car, on the
highway.

Tony

loose nut
12-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Which country?

JCHannum
12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If your only tool is a trowel..............

Bill736
12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
He could have done better just using ordinary duct tape and a rattle can of paint. ( Not that I've ever stooped to such methods to sell a car, of course.)

Tony
12-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Italy. :(

Theres a long tradition of fine art.. especially sculpting!

lynnl
12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I was stationed two years on Guam, a small dot in the western Pacific at about 13degrees N latitude. A new vehicle there was pretty much a total rust bucket after 3 or 4 years. You'd often stop at a traffic light and could see all the way through the vehicle beside you. :D

But it was amazing what some of those people could do in patching one up, and finish it to a like-new condition. Not a big surprise on the plain flat surfaces, but how they did such as the seams and rain gutters was a mystery to me.

Of course within 6-9 months, what had remained of the original supporting metal was rusting away, so it was ultimately all for nought anyway, other than for resell purposes, that is.

Arcane
12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
A few year back, a local yokel repaired the holes in his vehicle's rocker panels with water! He built a mold on the car, filled it with water and since it was winter he let it it freeze solid then simply shaped it to blend in and then spray bombed it. Apparently it looked good enough to pass a casual inspection and lasted until the first warm day. Can't put too much money into a repair on a vehicle you're going to sell anyways, eh? :D

Your Old Dog
12-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Italy. :(

Theres a long tradition of fine art.. especially sculpting!

Well I am sure he artsied up his driveway too!

sasquatch
12-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Before my son was an auto mechanics teacher he worked in a garage, and they got an old Mazda in there for a saftey check , so the owner could get it licensed, and when they put it up on the hoist to check under it, noticed the frame sections looked strange, and the guy had spray foamed all the rotted out holes , then smoothed it off and sprayed them with black undercoating.

The car wasn,t on the hoist TOO long!!:D

mike4
12-23-2011, 11:13 PM
I wouldn' stand beside it when he closed the door the "repair" might drop out on to your foot.
A lot of these cheapskates are the first ones to complain loudly when the relevant authorities stop them and put the wreck off the road.
Yet the same person will criticise anyone who does a proper repair , cutting out the rusty panel , welding in a replacement and painting the inside to help prolong its life.
Me I try not to let a vehicle get into the situation of getting a panel rusty in the first place .
Proper maintenance and care is often cheaper in the long run.
Michael

Scottike
12-23-2011, 11:29 PM
And here I spent 8.00 on a can of bondo when I could have just run down to HD and picked up a 90lb bag of cement for 4.00! There went my profit margin!

spope14
12-24-2011, 08:48 AM
I've seen worse, just body worked the under panels (same area as our concrete worker) on a car where the past body work genius packed them full of rolled up newspapers, JB welded some sheet metal over this, and sprayed things down with rubber undercoating. Took a full day just to get the goo out and dry it all out.

vpt
12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Lots of old tricks went to the wayside since Great Stuff came out!

DougA
12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
A old neighbor of mine once used cardboard from a box of cereal and tar to get his trucks frame through a safety.