PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the door limiters of my honda civic 2002

taydin
12-27-2011, 08:49 AM
The door limiters of my honda civic 2002 are completely worn out. I would like to build these parts and replace them myself. Building the limiters don't seem to be too difficult, but I am not sure whether special tools are required to remove and install these. Any ideas?

If I take the car to the honda shop, they ask $40 for each door.

sasquatch
12-27-2011, 08:52 AM
What are "Door Limiters" ?

vpt
12-27-2011, 09:27 AM
There should be no reason to rebuild them... There really isn't anything that wears out on them. They can break I guess.

All they are is a stamped curved piece of metal with a spring retracting it.

No special tools to work on these. Pull the door all the way open so the limiter is exposed. Pull the pin out of the pillar, undo the two bolts holding the limiter in the door and pull it out the hole.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/other-italian-cars/125019d1229308626-one-nice-abarth-door-limiters1.jpg

vpt
12-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Ahh, looks like the newer ones may have a few more parts than the old ones I am used to.

Called a "door checker"

I never understood why auto companies take something that works just fine and mess with it to come up with a complicated pos.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7076833-0-large.jpg

taydin
12-27-2011, 09:56 AM
The limiters on the doors are made of hard plastic and there are two indentations along them. When the door is opened, a roller backed up by a spring sinks into these indentations and keeps the door at that position.

I tried finding the service manuals for this car, but all I was able to find was US made hatchback honda models, mine is a sedan and not US built. I wasn't able to recognize the door limiters there.

I guess I'll just take pictures of the limiters I have and post them here. Thanks for all the responses guys.

taydin
12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi Andy,

That picture you posted looks quite similar to my door limiters. Actually very similar! Looking at that diagram, my diagnosis of the problem might be wrong.

That plastic bar transitions from a thick section to a thinner section. When the spring pressured pads reach the thinner section, they hold the door at that position. I thougt the transition between thick and thin section was supposed to be much sharper and that was what holds the door in place. But it looks like even the new limiter has a smooth transition...

Can it be that the springs are bad and need to be replaced?

The problem is that the door limiters don't hold the door open.

vpt
12-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Possible the "rollers" backed by the springs wore out or came out. Only way to know for sure is pull it apart and see whats happening.

Like I said I am used to the older ones that are metal, nothing ever happened to those except they would tighten up after awhile and need to be lubed.

My 02 odyssey I am sure has the new plastic checkers but I haven't had a problem with them yet.

A.K. Boomer
12-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Over the years Iv loved the engineering in both honda and toyota and have been working on them from the get go,
But there is no doubt they are going the way of everybody else and are not only over complicating things but also booby trapping them and using way too much plastic -------- this really pisses me off and makes me upset to the point of not wanting to work on the newer ones with the same kind of enthusiasm that Iv always had.

By far the best era for both these car companies was in the 90's - im trying to adapt but it's hard when u knew they had it and then let it go to hell.......

CountZero
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Loved working on my 92 civic, imho Honda peaked around 95 or so... :)

Well, I have done a few things with my current 00 Accord and didn't hate it but can't say I was thrilled. Might just be that I am older and lazier...

Bob Fisher
12-27-2011, 04:07 PM
At the risk of staring a ruckus, I have never replaced what you have termed a door limiter. BUT, then again I have never owned a Japanese Car. Bob.

taydin
12-27-2011, 04:23 PM
At the risk of staring a ruckus, I have never replaced what you have termed a door limiter. BUT, then again I have never owned a Japanese Car. Bob.

Well, a worn out limiter is really annoying when you park at an inclined spot and then have to take stuff out of the car with both hands. In this case, the door keeps slamming on you. You really have to fight with it until you are out of the car.

As vpt said, the pads at the tip of the springs (marked with a 25 in the drawing) are probably worn. I will remove one limiter and see if those pads can be made. Otherwise, I'll have it fixed at the honda shop.

vpt
12-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Over the years Iv loved the engineering in both honda and toyota and have been working on them from the get go,
But there is no doubt they are going the way of everybody else and are not only over complicating things but also booby trapping them and using way too much plastic -------- this really pisses me off and makes me upset to the point of not wanting to work on the newer ones with the same kind of enthusiasm that Iv always had.

By far the best era for both these car companies was in the 90's - im trying to adapt but it's hard when u knew they had it and then let it go to hell.......

I agree! Thats why its so hard for me to give up my 89.

flylo
12-27-2011, 08:34 PM
It's like on pickups. What was wrong with the flat steel hinges? I hate the new cables & have to buy 1 or 2 sets a year. Never had to replace the flat steel ones.

sasquatch
12-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Cheaper, and cheaper, and cheaper and ..............................:rolleyes:

vpt
12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Throw away world.

I had a conversation with my dad the other day about small engine shops. With what they have to charge to fix say a chainsaw, if the job calls for more than 3 hours the labor will be more than a new cheap saw.