PDA

View Full Version : Mineral oil as cutting oil?

flylo
12-29-2011, 06:45 PM
I have a 55 gal drum & a 5 gal pail of concrete form oil which I found out is thin mineral oil, basic oil with no additives. They also use this as smoke oil in skywriting as the smoke last the longest. It's also great at protecting tools from rust. My question is would it be good as cutting oil. It's probably about 5 weight. Thanks again for any & all help. Eric

loose nut
12-29-2011, 06:48 PM
They also use this as smoke oil in skywriting as the smoke last the longest.

When you make smoke with it on a lathe it will probably last the longest there too.

flylo
12-29-2011, 07:09 PM
What's the lyrics to the song "Smoking in the boys room" which now is the workshop. LOL!

HSS
12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
I use heavy mineral oil on my lathe but haven't used the light stuff. Evan turned me on to the mineral oil, easy on the hands too.

Pat

Westline
12-29-2011, 07:14 PM
I would not use it I had 5l of mobile genspin 10 .... 10 weight that I tried as cutting fluid and well as can be expected lots of smoke crummy surface finish.

Kobus

tdmidget
12-29-2011, 07:20 PM
I have a 55 gal drum & a 5 gal pail of concrete form oil which I found out is thin mineral oil, basic oil with no additives. They also use this as smoke oil in skywriting as the smoke last the longest. It's also great at protecting tools from rust. My question is would it be good as cutting oil. It's probably about 5 weight. Thanks again for any & all help. Eric
No. Cutting oils have sulfur added. The stuff you have has no particular qualities beyond concrete not sticking to it readily. Most just use diesel, much cheaper.

jugs
12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Do some concrete form work & use it for that, or as it's nice & thin mix with 25% petrol (gas) & use as a penetrating oil.

Don't use for machining as the finish will be poor & you'll end up with a lung full of oily particulates :eek: from the smoke, but at least you wouldn't die of rust :D

Scottike
12-29-2011, 08:54 PM
If your sure it's just pure mineral oil, a 1% solution with water works great for killing aphids on the wifes roses and evergreens - just don't use it on opened blossums. Or use it as a dormant spray on fruit trees and shrubs in the winter or early spring before the plants leaf out.
edit: Keep it away from japanese maples and blue spruce, the maple are sensitive and it'll turn the blue spruce green.
You can use it for relief from constipation too!, It sounds like you have a several lifetime supply.

Willy
12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Didn't you ask this question last month?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=718176&postcount=4

flylo
12-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Yes I did post but since then I found the weight & a little more about it & besides the 1st time I just added it to someone elses post. It will be good to spray tools with for anti-rust. Or I can spray my truck so it won't rust.
There was any ols man that saved his used motor oil till fall then painted/sprayed it all over the underside, wheelwells etc. Then he drove down dusty roads till the oil was coated in dust. Claimed it saved his truck from rusting. We do use 50wt mineral oil in antique plane engines. Thanks!

Black_Moons
12-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes I did post but since then I found the weight & a little more about it & besides the 1st time I just added it to someone elses post. It will be good to spray tools with for anti-rust. Or I can spray my truck so it won't rust.
There was any ols man that saved his used motor oil till fall then painted/sprayed it all over the underside, wheelwells etc. Then he drove down dusty roads till the oil was coated in dust. Claimed it saved his truck from rusting. We do use 50wt mineral oil in antique plane engines. Thanks!

Most things that I have cleaned dirty greasy mess off have been suprising rust free and well perserved, Id say theres some truth to his claims.. If you don't mind your car having dirty greasy mess caked on :)

These days they seem to be doing MUCH better with car bodys in terms of rust. Its usally everything else in the car that fails/wears out before the body rusts out these days. (At least, Here in bc, Your milage may vary depending on what they are spraying on the roads in the winter and such..)

SGW
12-30-2011, 07:56 AM
The used motor oil and dusty road routine used to have quite a following here in New England. Country towns often has a jack-of-all-trades guy running a garage who would do the used motor oil spraying for you. I haven't heard of it for quite a while, but there may still be a few holdouts. It's getting harder to find a dirt road though. And, as Black Moons says, cars don't rust out the way they used to. Anybody else remember cars with fenders ready to fall off after 5 years?

Metalmelter
12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I'd say throw some in a pump spray bottle and try it on some pieces and look at your results. Heck they use WD-40 all the time for things like fly cutting aluminum block so have you to loose? Maybe you'll end up with a drum of some awesome cutting fluid for who knows what metal ;)

Fasttrack
12-30-2011, 12:27 PM
It may work for aluminum cutting, but I dislike the smoke. I prefer extreme pressure type lubricants for cutting oils - i.e. something with sulfur or chlorine (although the chlorine additive is quickly falling out of favor for environmental/health reasons, I believe). These EP additives will greatly increase your surface finish quality and really helps with high load operations like single point threading, parting off, etc.

I've used water based coolants, and they're ok, but I've not found a good replacement for a sulfur based oil when it comes to heavy machine work. Even on crappy hot rolled mild steel, I can get a shiny finish if I use a relatively heavy DOC and sulfur cutting oil. Then it cuts and "burnishes" in one pass.

Aluminum I use WD-40 because it's handy. I should probably find something better but I don't work in aluminum very often ... a light weight mineral oil may be just the thing, though.

I use mineral oil for casting the molds for latex masks. I sculpt the mask in oil based clay and give it a generous douse of mineral oil before I pour a bunch casting plaster around to form a mold for rd-407.

flylo
12-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Fasttrack, Have I got a deal for you on a 55 gal drum. LOL

loose nut
12-30-2011, 01:37 PM
I saw a report that says the holes in the ozone layer are almost fixed. Does that mean we can have our 1,1,1 Trichloralethylene cutting fluids back soon.;)

Fasttrack
12-30-2011, 05:08 PM
I saw a report that says the holes in the ozone layer are almost fixed. Does that mean we can have our 1,1,1 Trichloralethylene cutting fluids back soon.;)

:D I hope so.

Flylo, I don't think I'd ever use a 55 gal drum. I bought one of those pint containers from Wal-mart that is meant as a laxative. I've been casting masks in my spare time for about 3 years now and I've only used a couple of tablespoons worth :)

flylo
12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
We'll I gurss I have enough laxative for the entire forum. I heard you were all full of s**t anyway. So here's the cure! Happy New Year! :D :mad: :eek:

DATo
12-30-2011, 07:46 PM
http://youtu.be/57tK6aQS_H0

The lyrics say it all. Don't fall in love with that mineral oil. *LOL*