PDA

View Full Version : 5C Single lip cutter grinder

Edwin Dirnbeck
01-01-2012, 10:35 PM
I have been wanting a single lip (Deckle) type cutter grinder that uses 5C collets.Most of these grinders are limited to 5/8" collets.I googled u3 cutter grinder and found a new grinder that does indeed use 5C collets.All the companies that list them are in China . Has anyone seen this grinder for sale in the USA. Thank you Edwin Dirnbeck

lalatheman
01-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Edwin,
I would like to find one that uses 5C... too.

Did you get one yet?

Dave Lawrence

loose nut
01-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Most of the ones that I have seen in NA are for R8 collets. Quality varies greatly with the knock off Deckels so shop around.

TOOLZNTHINGS
01-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Shars is showing a German made clone that I believe has the 5-C collets.

Ohio Mike
01-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Shars is showing a German made clone that I believe has the 5-C collets.

Apparently that unit does use 5c collets but I don't think that's a German machine. BEIPING Machine is in China.

Grizzly lists two Deckel style grinders for sale. One that is certainly Chinese at $545 and the other from Taiwan at $1425. See page 636 of the 2016 catalog.

tc429
01-08-2016, 12:24 AM
I got a old Deckel I pulled out of the mud in a scrap pile- luckily hadnt rusted yet, stripped/refilled/painted/greased up, and its a really nice little grinder- but the Deckel collets use a very weird 'buttress thread'- works smooth as the pull flank of the thread is a right angle, but collets are a Deckel only item...think mine only goes to 1/2", looked for several years for a set of cheap collets before finding some on ebay...
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1647/23616052384_82b14c8039_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BYSrAY)5-25-2002 017 (https://flic.kr/p/BYSrAY) by ford4v429 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/83232178@N06/), on Flickr

plunger
01-08-2016, 03:28 AM
How usefull is a grinder like this. Is it not limited to making only d type bits for pantographs etc or can one use it to grind square hss lathe tools?

thaiguzzi
01-08-2016, 03:56 AM
Yes, you can use them to grind square shank HSS tools.

Doozer
01-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Can a Gorton workholding head be adapted to
the Deckel machine? Not sure if this is an advantage
but I believe it takes 4NS collets. I have a Gorton
head in a drawer somewhere in my pile.

--Doozer

Mcgyver
01-08-2016, 08:58 AM
How usefull is a grinder like this. Is it not limited to making only d type bits for pantographs etc or can one use it to grind square hss lathe tools?

close to useless...unless you need single lip cutters. I've got one, beautifully made etc but its fairly task specific. There's an argument you could make or buy or invent things to let it do more, but you could say the same for anything the spins a grinding wheel. you could do sq tool bits, you'd have to make stuff to hold them....but there's not a huge advantage in doing so over free hand imo. There's some, like threading tools but its marginal.

loose nut
01-08-2016, 09:17 AM
You can grind square and round bits accurately to various shapes, they do radius very well. Some come with attachments that let you sharpen drills up to .75" diam. (19mm) and sharpen endmills, although I haven't tried that yet so I don't know how well that would turn out. It depends on what your needs are. It just takes a little imagination to think up ways to do things. Everybody has an opinion on these machines, most have never used one so don't let anybody keep your mind inside the box.

John Stevenson
01-08-2016, 10:31 AM
I have one. Chinese clone that's on 5C's.
Came with an attachment to grind drills, no idea how it works, never took it out the box.
It also has an attachment for holding lathe tools and this does work well.
I use it for grinding slotting tools where you need to get an accurate tip width.

They are made for single lip cutters, at which they excel at but are advertised and sold as "A universal cutter grinder" which they are not.

As regards doing end mills, forget it, you spend longer jumping thru hoops to get a 1/2 arsed job than it is worth.

Do I regret buying mine ? In my case no as I do sharpen and also make from scratch a load of slotting bits and engraving cutters.

stefang
01-08-2016, 10:51 AM
close to useless...unless you need single lip cutters.

I have a genuine Deckel S0E at work and a chinese clone in my own shop, I use both almost every day, I use them not only for single lip cutters (Which are realy usefull if you need weird shapes) but also to sharpen endmills at their front cutting edges, relief/neck down endmills to machine deep slots/pockets, grind form tools for the lathe, trim my fingernails, shorten and chamfer dowel pins.
Every shop I worked so far had at least one of them and they where always used a lot.

No comparsisation to a proper tool/cutter grinder but they can do a lot with a small footprint :D

TOOLZNTHINGS
01-08-2016, 10:52 AM
I have the Taiwan grinder from Grizzly. Would love to see someone post a step by step instruction for doing pointed ( 60 deg ) engraving cutters. I'm missing the boat on how to do it. Did get better instructions from a link in the Home Shop Machinist about these grinders in the last issue. Deckel instructions in English.

Edwin Dirnbeck
01-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Edwin,
I would like to find one that uses 5C... too.

Did you get one yet?

Dave Lawrence
I just stumbled on this reply. No, I didn't get one yet,but this has renewed my interest.Thank you, Edwin Dirnbeck

Illinoyance
01-10-2016, 09:03 PM
I have the Taiwan grinder from Grizzly. Would love to see someone post a step by step instruction for doing pointed ( 60 deg ) engraving cutters. I'm missing the boat on how to do it. Did get better instructions from a link in the Home Shop Machinist about these grinders in the last issue. Deckel instructions in English.

I found Deckel instructions on line. They should apply to the Grizzly as far as technique. If you can't find them, PM me and I can send you the file.

Illinoyance
01-10-2016, 09:59 PM

Deckel instructions:
http://neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/DECKEL%20OPERATING%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

TOOLZNTHINGS
01-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the link. Still doing some practice parts to get a handle on this operation.

Brian