PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof match case

Al Messer
01-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Has any one on the list made one? Got any photos of it available? TIA

Al

Bill736
01-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I haven't made one, but my lady friend recently bought for me a nicely made metal toothpick case that might be used for matches. I don't use it any more, since the principal tooth in question is now "the space formerly know as tooth."

gvasale
01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
got one in the Boy Scouts when I was of that age. A metal container with a screw on metal cap made for the "strike anywhere" matches. You could probably still buy one today. But finding "strike anywhere" matches may be more of a problem. Even book matches aren't what they used to be.

darryl
01-02-2012, 10:40 PM
I guess a zip-loc bag doesn't cut it-

x39
01-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Al, I've made one. Due to my antiquated operating system (Windows 98) I have trouble posting pictures, but if you'll PM me with an e-mail addy I'll send you pictures of it. It has a stainless body with a knurled brass cap. BTW, strike anywhere matches are still readily available where I live.

Boucher
01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Strike anywhere matches have been hard to find around here. Last week they suddenly appeared an Home depot. I put some in an old medicine bottle.

Duffy
01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I suggest that you look up WW1 memorabilia. Those cases were ESSENTIAL equipment, since the main source of lighting in dugouts and trenches was a candle.

Weston Bye
01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Not home shop made, but pretty good:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/outdoor-survival-marbles-waterproof-match-box-79045.aspx

SGW
01-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I've got one as shown in Weston's link that I've had for about 50 years. It's a bit amazing that they are still being made. The lanyard ring came off mine at some point so I soldered a flat base brass ring to the cover with high-strength solder.

Dragons_fire
01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Lee Valley sells those ones that Weston posted too..
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=65241&cat=2,40725,45454

They also sell these containers that may be a tiny bit small for matches, but would be really easy to reproduce on a lathe with slightly larger dimensions.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/page.aspx?p=58218&cat=4,104,55968&ap=2

panchula
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM
How about re-purposing one of the Chinese LED flashlights that fail quicker than the batteries? The Harbor Freight type that have 3 AAA batteries in them. I have at least half a dozen of those laying about in pieces (did I mention I have a nine year old son?). Machine a disk to replace the plastic lense & cut some o-ring grooves and you're well on the way to being water tight. I already have one of the old-time waterproof cases of WWII vintage, inherited from my Uncle Alex. Strike anywhere matches I find at a local hardware store, though at a premium price.

-Mike

Black Forest
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Just get two shotgun shell cases of different sizes. One slides inside the other and it seals great. I have dropped mine in the water and the matches stayed dry.

Hal
01-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Lee Valley sells Water proof match cases made of brass and crome plated for about $7.00 .

Hal

Mike Burdick
01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Doesn't seem too difficult to make.... could be a fun project!

Bore out a brass or stainless steel rod and thread open end with a fine pitch. Then make a matching cap. Use an "O" ring placed at the bottom of the cap for sealing.

...or

Make the cap so it has a slightly tapered "snug" fit when pressed in. That way no threading!

On edit:

Here's an even easier idea ...

Use a fine threaded bolt and nut with the desired diameter. Then hollow out the bolt to the proper depth and cut it off such that a portion of the threads remain. Then machine the nut so that a thin cap can be inserted and soldered. Machine the nut to desired shape. Again, place an "O" ring at the end for sealing.

dave5605
01-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Got a REI store near you? They also have online ordering. They have all kinds of containers, matches, etc for the outdoorsman/woman.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=waterproof+match+

Al Messer
01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I know, I know---I could buy another one, BUT, I was thinking of making one with an attached keychain that I could casually pull out of my pocket and show around when asked: "Where'd you get it"..."I made it!"

Al

CCWKen
01-04-2012, 08:17 PM
They're so simple, even a caveman could make one. :D
I still have my Scout match holder too... Somewhere.

Use a 3/4" or 1" tube and thread the inside of both ends.
Turn a bottom and top cap/plug.

The Scout holder had a shaft attached to the top that extended to the bottom of the cylinder. On the end of the shaft was a disk. When you lifted the cap, the matches were raised with the cap so they were easy to access. Or fell all over the wet ground if you raised the top too high. We always dipped our matches in candle wax anyway so it didn't matter if they got wet.

You could turn-in a stop for disk by turning the lower half of the tube a little larger then fit the disk to that part. So when you raise the cap, the disk stops at the step to the smaller diameter.