Making a Rolling Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Rolling Mill

I ahve laid out plans to build a rolling mill. I am planning on using 2 inch diameter rollers that are 6 inches long. I want to use a 1/2 inch spindle on the free moving one and thread the one with a crank.

My question, which steel can be HT to come up with a Rockwell rating of 70? I can HT them or have them done, either way it doesn't matter.

Thanks,

Jerry
  • nmtinker
    • Feb 2004

Mr. Smith, what are you going to roll in the rolls that you think you need RC 70? That would be so hard as to be brittle. RC 60 is about the most you would ever need for most purposes. O-1, W-1, A-2 and most other steels would not get to RC 70. High speed would, but why would you need HSS unless you plan to roll steel hot?

Comment

I want to reduce silver and gold in it's thicknesses. Plus I have think of using it for hot squeezing patterned Damascus and Mokume.

Jerry

Comment

Oh, It's not "Mr. Smith", it's just plain olde "jerry".

Jerry

Comment

• J Tiers
          • Jan 2004

Do you want an odd size? The jewelers and metalsmiths rollers should still be available, probably some used.

I know they were a bit expensive 25 years ago, but generally worth it. Used might be able to have funky rollers re-ground cheaper than making the whole thing from scratch.....

Mokume, eh? I saw your stuff on large sculpture, do you do small metalsmithing also?

Do you really mean to squeeze mokume? IIRC that often has a textured surface that is part of the appeal of it.

Metalsmithing is another of my various and sundry quasi-hobby activities, but I haven't been doing a lot recently. Did a bunch while I was hanging out in the art dept as a refuge from the other engineers back in school. Couldn't afford to set up a real shop for it until much later, and really haven't yet. I had a good instructor, but practice makes perfect, and I'm short on both.

Later note....I think I confused mokume with another technique. mokume is indeed rolled out. It has been a while..........

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 02-10-2004).]
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Thrud
            • Mar 2001

Jerry
            S-7 is what you want laddy. It has very high wear resistance, and is typically used in hot forge dies or hot shears, it has excellent impact resistance as well so it is ideal for your application. You can oil quench large sections of it.

Comment

I make very small things, as well as very large things. I want a mill that can handle the heat of making damascus and mokume, and clean it up and use it sqeeze gold and silver that is at room temp.

Jerry

Comment

Uncle Thrud,

Thank you for teh information, I will see what I can get in S7 locally before ordering some that will have to be shipped.

Many thanks,

Jerry

Comment

• WJHartson
                  • Oct 2002

Jerry,

There are commerically available rolling mill that will do what you want for silver and gold for around $300. You would be hard pressed to build one for that if your time is worth anything. There are a lot of considerations when you start rolling hot. You have to use coolent and the rolls are not as hard as when you roll cold. Hard rolls will shatter and crack.

One thing that you haven't said is what gage are you going to start with and what do you want to end up with. I have one of the mills and it came with some pattern rolls.

If you want more information e-mail me. If you give me a phone number I will call you.

Joe

Comment

• Samuel
                    • Aug 2002

make one of each, I wish that I could have one mill that did it all. the rollers on a mill for hot steel get beat up quick regardless of the heat-treat(at least on the home models that I know of) and a jewelers mill, will be most usefull with "polished" rollers, I am not sayig that it cant be done but the parameters of the working properties of the two groups of metals are quite different and require different tooling . good luck

Samuel

[This message has been edited by Samuel (edited 02-09-2004).]

Comment

• Forrest Addy
                      • Oct 2002

Jerry that's quite a project. Have you looked at factory machines? Here's one:

They seem well within the capabilities of an experienced home shop unless you plan to roll metals quantities. I suspect that 2" dia rolls for 6" width with 1/2" necks are a bit light especially if you wish to roll metals to full width. Most of the rolls I've seen had necks 1/2 the work roll diameter or more. You may wish to employ a design having a back-up roll to avoid deflection.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 02-09-2004).]

Comment

I may be building two of these mills, or I may buy one for the gold and silver, them build one for doing the Damascus and Mokume.

The one for the Damascus and mokume is so I don't end up with a power hammer. I have heard that the mill is actually better and quieter.

HF has a rolling mill for sale:

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

It looks like the one on Ebay that are more money.

Busy this week or would take a few calls.

Jerry

Comment

• JCHannum
                          • Nov 2001

It should come as no surprise that an HF tool looks like the real thing.
                          If the rolling mill in the Lacy catalog is as overpriced as their Sherline equipment, you might want to look elsewhere.
                          They list a 5410 Sherline Mill at $1099.00. Sherline sells them for $775.00.
                          Jim H.

Comment

• Samuel
                            • Aug 2002

Jerry,

Ya but can you power fuller with a rolling mill cmon you live on the industrial "gifted" side of the rockys right?!

Samuel

Comment

Samuel,
                              I live in an area that industry moved out of decades ago. Not Naval Yards or heavy industry, just banks and insurance companies.
                              You are right about the power fullering with a rolling mill, it can't be done. But I maybe building Larry Zoeller Power Hammer:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

But for now, I have to make damascus and mokume' to keep the shop doors open.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X