PDA

View Full Version : OT:Frau's enlarged knuckles

Sophiedoc
01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Wife has some funny little cystic lesions and some arthritis of her knuckles causing problems with her rings.A hand surgeon tried to correct only making problem worse.We've looked at various latches.springs,filler beads etc.with most of the latching devices being puny or dirt catchers.( I inspected restaurants in the USAF and the latching devices wouldn't pass inspection for food handlers.)Anyone have any experience with this problem and an acceptable solution since some require delicate machining,laser welding etc-thanks.

Black Forest
01-05-2012, 11:14 AM
No brainer!!! Don't wear any rings!!!!

Dr Stan
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
If you were in the States, I'd recommend going to Jewish Hospital in Louisville, KY as it has one of the best, if not the best hand surgery units in the country. You may want to contact the hospital to find out if one of the former students from the unit is practicing close to you.

TheAndroid
01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
If you were in the States, I'd recommend going to Jewish Hospital in Louisville, KY as it has one of the best, if not the best hand surgery units in the country. You may want to contact the hospital to find out if one of the former students from the unit is practicing close to you.

Dr. Stan is absolutely correct. When I was 15, I was working for the Forestry department making the woods safe for city people. I had an unfortunate accident where I fell off some rocks onto a beer bottle wedged in a stream bed. Cut my thumb about 90% off my hand. Dr. Thomas Wolfe (sp?) at Jewish Hospital re-attached it and I've only lost about 35% mobility. And this was in 1979-1982!

Harvey Melvin Richards
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't think that surgery will be a cure all. My wife has significant arthritis in her hands. She has had one thumb joint rebuilt and it helped. However, this is progressive, it only will get worse. She only has one finger that is straight. When she points at something, I have no idea where she is pointing.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/P7191692_edited-1.jpg

The ring is on her straight finger, and I'm surprised that she even tries to wear one. Her fingers can change (always for the worse) almost over night.

Black_Moons
01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Magnets! always with the magnets.

But really. Id think some tiny neo magnets pressed into holes in the ring (after the ring is cut in half) would allow you to get it on/off.. question is how strong would it stay on. Iv got some 1/4" cylinder neo magnets that lift like 2lbs of steel easy. Joined to eachother, you can't get enough grip on them to easily pull them apart

Sophiedoc
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Magnets are a novel idea.I presume they would be placed on each side of the ring so the attraction would hold the ring on.Why would the ring be cut other than to enlarge it?

Lew Hartswick
01-05-2012, 05:55 PM
No brainer!!! Don't wear any rings!!!!
Yep that is what my wife did, on the order of 25 or 30 years ago.
She was able to wear them only about the first 25. :-)
Yea it's been, lets see 2011 - 1957 ~ = 54 doesn't it ? :-)
...Lew...

Tait
01-05-2012, 07:56 PM
For some folk, the ability to wear a wedding ring is an important part of their identity.

Some folk end up wearing them on a chain as a pendant.

I'm guessing you've considered options like http://foreverfitrings.com/?

Tony Ennis
01-05-2012, 08:58 PM
+1 on Jewish in Louisville.

We also have a UPS hub and 2 Ford plants. Oh, and the headquarters of Yum! and Papa Johns.

Oh, and the Louisville Slugger bat factory.