PDA

View Full Version : Oil problem for Grizzly Lathe

gr8life
01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Just a short intro. I am of the opinion oil is cheap compared to machines, hence I have replaced most of the ball oilers on my machines w/ cup oilers. I decided to change to some visible tube oilers on my Grizzly G4003G lathe. I had to take the cover off in order to drill & tap some holes and discovered there is a third oil hole under the cover with no way to oil it without removing the cover. I called Grizzly and got a call back confirming my discovery. The cover must be removed and ground or milled in order to have room to get an oil can in to lube the fitting. Removing this much metal opens up the space but creates a cavity that I am sure will collect swarf, that is the reason for the protective plate. The pictures should explain the entire process. Might take 2 posts for pictures.
thanks
ed
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/gr8lifeLV/100_0594.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/gr8lifeLV/100_0595.jpg

gr8life
01-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Continued
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/gr8lifeLV/100_0597.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/gr8lifeLV/100_0598.jpg

justanengineer
01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
I like it!

Theiskell
01-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Holey crap!! I have had the 4003G for about 6 months and never knew an oil port was there. I just took the cover off and gave it a liberal oiling. Thanks for the tip, I will be milling that sucker out soon.

aboard_epsilon
01-06-2012, 08:21 AM
how does the oil jump from the outside cover to the inside cover :confused:

where exactly is the the oil hole your faciltating access to.

all the best.markj

tlfamm
01-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Are the visible-tube oilers shop-built or commercially produced? What is the source if the latter?

Got a G4003G myself.

moe1942
01-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I have the same lathe and will check that out. Is there a reason that cover couldn't be left off?? Also would it be possible to drill a hole in the cover and access the oil port that way?..I'm asking because I've developed a lazy streak..:D

There is another oil point on the gear train side a lot of people aren't aware of. Have to take the cover off to access it. I solved it with a piece of brake line tubing and a small notch in the cover. I'll take a picture when it warms up a tad.

moe1942
01-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Here's an oil port I've found a lot of folks are unaware of and my mod. Don't have to take the cover off to oil. Also found the oil port the OP posted about. I can get to it with a flexible spout. I will see if I can find a small tube and run it from the port outside the cover.

Well I found out I don't know how to post pics...

I went to the Grizzly manual on their site and it shows all three oil ports but before the cover was added..
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g4003_m.pdf

gr8life
01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
aboard epsilon: It does not jump, you slide the alum. piece back.
tlfamm: shop made
moe 1942: You could leave the cover off but I think if you do a lot of cutting that cavity will fill w/ swarf. I did the same tube trick for the oil port under the end cover when I first got the lathe.
When I called Grizzly they had a person go on the floor & remove the cover because I do not think they believed me, that there were 3 holes to oil

aboard_epsilon
01-06-2012, 06:39 PM
im not talking about the mod youve just done ..as far as i can see it jumps from the brass ones...the ones with "oil nipple" written under them .. to somewhere ...where i dont know .

all the best.markj

gr8life
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
There is a protrusion on the inside of the cover that mates w/ the holes in the gearbox. Sorry I misunderstood your question. If you have a G4003 and remove the cover all will be revealed.
thanks
ed

tdkkart
01-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Don't feel bad, I had the same question, seemed funny to put an oiler on a cover.......

im not talking about the mod youve just done ..as far as i can see it jumps from the brass ones...the ones with "oil nipple" written under them .. to somewhere ...where i dont know .

all the best.markj

moe1942
01-07-2012, 02:58 PM
According to the manual at Grizzly the early model G4003 didn't have that cover. Then they extended the length of the spindle/headstock and added the cover as filler.

Life thanks again for the heads up..

J.Ramsey
01-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Posting pics for moe1942

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7274/oilport008.jpg

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8137/oilport005.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1638/oilport004.jpg

moe1942
01-08-2012, 12:07 PM
I'll bump this up in case it got buried..This is a forgotten, important oil point just like the one the OP pointed out

Hoplophile
04-20-2015, 12:49 AM
Let's bump it again, with another little oil mystery: mine.

I have a CQ6230, which is the same lathe as the 4003G minus a few features. Funny thing is, there is no oil feed hole to the outside bearing like there is to the inside bearing (chuck end of the spindle being the "inboard" end)

Has anyone else had this on their lathe?

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/7792/1XxWat.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/9776/3jlb4k.jpg

tlfamm
04-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Your lathe is likely an exact copy of the Grizzly G4003, the model on which the gunsmith G4003G is based. I just checked my G4003G and it does have the drilled oil passage hole (for the outboard bearing) that your lathe is apparently missing.

Could be a lot of work involved in a "proper fix" but maybe a less-involved solution is possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In another issue, near the top of your first photo (about 20% down) can be seen a bearing boss cast in the floor of the headstock. Immediately to the left can be seen a gear whose shaft runs through the boss. Prudent engineering might dictate that the shaft protrude 1/8" or 3/16" beyond the right-hand side of the boss. On the G4003G lathe it does not - in fact it is not even flush with the boss, sitting about 3/16" or more below the surface. This appears to be a characteristic of all G4003G lathes.

Does your lathe exhibit the same condition?

dmartin
04-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks Gr8life, I have the same lathe and was aware of the oil port under the rear cover but not the front one. I think that I will do the same mod that you did.
Dwight

Hoplophile
04-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Your lathe is likely an exact copy of the Grizzly G4003, the model on which the gunsmith G4003G is based. I just checked my G4003G and it does have the drilled oil passage hole (for the outboard bearing) that your lathe is apparently missing.

Could be a lot of work involved in a "proper fix" but maybe a less-involved solution is possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In another issue, near the top of your first photo (about 20% down) can be seen a bearing boss cast in the floor of the headstock. Immediately to the left can be seen a gear whose shaft runs through the boss. Prudent engineering might dictate that the shaft protrude 1/8" or 3/16" beyond the right-hand side of the boss. On the G4003G lathe it does not - in fact it is not even flush with the boss, sitting about 3/16" or more below the surface. This appears to be a characteristic of all G4003G lathes.

Does your lathe exhibit the same condition?

Thank you for taking the trouble to check that; much appreciated! I started the spindle removal already with photos, measurements and notes on where everything was sitting. I will try to document the process for a later post.

I've noticed the posts and photos about the short shaft/insufficiently wide bearing boss you refer to. I'm happy to say that my lathe doesn't seem to have that issue. Perhaps it was a production error and rather than junk shafts which had already been made Shaoxing Machine Tool Works, who I believe also make the Grizzly lathes, just decided to use them up. I'm a little surprised that they would use those shafts in lathes for a company like Grizzly who pay for additional features and their own branding.

Found this online:

Shaoxing Tongli Machine Tool Co., Ltd. is located in Paojiang Industry Zone, Shaoxing City. Our previous name is Shaoxing Machine Tool Works, founded in 1956. Our company was re-organized and re-formed as a limited corporation partly invested by China Machinery Electronics Export Products Investment Co., Ltd. in 1995. Our registered capital is forty nine million three forty thousand Yuan, and our total assets is eighty two million two hundred forty thousand Yuan. Our company covers an area of forty thousand and twenty square meters. We have 230 employees and among them there are 21 media and senior engineers and 20 technicians.

Our company has 100pcs key equipments, among which 20pcs/sets are used for high class metal machining equipment. We specialize in manufacturing engine lathes, CNC machines, CNC vertical lathes, vertical turning and milling machining centers, and heavy duty horizontal machines. Our annual production capacity is 5,000pcs/sets machines. Our company has passed the evaluation of ISO9000, and our engine lathe has attained CE certification. Our products cover all over the country and have high reputation in Europe, the USA, Southeast Asia, Australia, and Africa. Over 96% of our engine lathes has been exported abroad. Our engine lathe has awarded National Spark 3rd Prize. And our CNC machines, CNC vertical lathes, vertical turning and milling machining centers, and heavy duty horizontal machines are key equipment supplied to electric, military, shipyard, and railway.

Gr8life...R.I.P.

im#2
04-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Thanks fellows, I had missed that oiler and my lathe maybe might be almost the oldest of all of us as it had some paperwork included for work done on the motor which didn't last long when I became the owner.
The factory warranted the work back in 1985 and it was purchased by a fellow in Minnesota in 1984. Thanks for the heads up and hope this stays bumped onto front page for a few days.

Willy
04-20-2015, 09:56 PM
Just a note to those that aren't aware of it, but not too long after Ed (Gr8life) posted this thread he passed away.
I remember reading about it on the PM site,.... here (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ed-gr8life-died-242614/).
This sometimes happens when old threads are resurrected. I'm sure Ed appreciates that his knowledge is still being used today and beyond.

dmartin
04-21-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear that he passed away and yes the information that he posted lives on and is useful. After reading this thread I remembered that I was going to post a problem that I corrected on my G4003G lathe and had not gotten around to it. I had the front (belt) cover off and noticed a shaft key laying below the drive motor pulley. After checking more closely I found that it was from the drive pulley. The pulley had turned on the shaft a little but the shaft or pulley were not scored. There was no set screw in the pulley at the keyway and the key was a loose fit after I realigned the pulley and shaft keyways. I then drilled and tapped the pulley for a setscrew to tighten the key. there was a setscrew in the pulley but it was 180 deg. opposite of the keyway and at the very inside edge of the pulley. The key is now tight and I have no worries that the pulley will spin on the shaft. Have a good day.

Dwight

rolland
04-21-2015, 11:06 PM
I did not see a reference to the G4003 the green one standard lathe but I just checked mine and it has the same problem Thanks for bringing this to light. My lathe is 10 years old and I have been oiling the other two holes but sure as heck missed this one as I had no reason to remove the cover before now. I did check the bearing and its ok as it has been getting oil from the other holes but I am sure not enough.

Hoplophile
04-22-2015, 12:03 AM
I pressed the inboard bearing off the spindle today and found it is a also a "SG" bearing, but is marked as high precision: "30212 P5"

The new NSK HR30212J bearing actually feels smoother, but the "SG" is quite comparable, which is should be since it purports to be a high precision bearing, whereas the NSK "J" does not.

Probably there will be no noticeable difference in use, but at least I know what I have and the inboard and outboard bearings will be of equal quality and condition.

I am going to put some rare earth magnets in the bottom of the headstock gearbox to help trap any metal particles.

Hoplophile
05-17-2015, 06:43 PM
After getting distracted for a few weeks building a new pan and bases for the lathe, I've just come back to the bearings issue.

I must have been blinded by something last time as now I see the outer races are tapered on the outside and sitting in tapered seats in the headstock walls - duh!:rolleyes:

Looking around the Net, I see no references to or photos of 30211 or 30212 bearings with tapered outer races...:confused:

Edit:

Ended up re-installing the original bearins which seem to be fine.

Drilled the outboard oil hole and that is working well too.