PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling mix of sizes, actual LATHE near me

RussZHC
01-05-2012, 09:58 PM
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-home-renovation-materials-power-tools-Kopings-Industrial-Duty-Metal-Lathe-W0QQAdIdZ343585560

3 photos of a Kopings S12S-G, sorry but this thing is odd...way I'm reading the speed plate, 7.5 to 300rpm, 24" swing but the length is what I am confused about...Tony's site has a few drawings with the smallest of similar general look/features is 58" or so between centers, guessing (I have not gone to view yet) but this one looks maybe a third of that...it also looks like the main screw is MIA but given the general look in the photos, strikes me as odd as well (unless, I supposed this particular model does not have screw cutting capabilities edit: but that doesn't jive either because, to me, that's a screw cutting gear box)
There is apparently a supplier, Storebro, who can supply a few Scandinavian makers and they do list Kopings (not longer a going concern).
The oddness continues, for this size swing, doesn't 5 Hp and 220v seem a bit small?
And then it just gets weird as the only other photo of an actual lathe is of the same model (minus the "G" suffix) also owned by someone named Russ.
Bed width relative to length is quite large but I don't know how large relative to the swing.

Thoughts?
To me its worth the bit of a drive and the short bed may actually work in my favor as the overall size esp the length, could make it possible in my small space. But, that little voice is already saying...not this one.

lakeside53
01-05-2012, 10:07 PM
5hp could be right if the max speed is 300rpm. Heck of a torque multiplier in the gearing/belts. or.. someone put on the wrong "new" motor.

RussZHC
01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
lakeside53:

yeh, the bit from Tony's site implies 20 to 30 Hp motor and "a choice of 600 or 950 rpm"...so what I am thinking is, could it have had a two speed motor, though clearly the rpm plate only shows 300rpm and no indication that I can see of a second level of speeds...the only lathe I have come across that is anywhere close to these specs was older and meant specifically for turning ends of large diameter pipe...which would make sense if the numbers given are accurate, I mean by my unpracticed eye, the speed range looks to be "made" for 4" and larger diameters?

mickeyf
01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Looks to me like one of those situations where a manufacturer used some parts optionally for certain models. Used the screw cutting gear box for a feed gear box, but left off the lead screw. Not to mention the tailstock. And maybe one model also had a couple of feet more bed. Stripped down or built up to fit any budget!

flylo
01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
The ad said new 5 HP motor,maybe he put on a smaller motor?

mygrizzly1022
01-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi Russ

I think I am the same side as that “Little voice”!
For me, not having a tailstock would be a deal breaker. That is not a common lathe on this side of the pond so finding a tailstock could be problematic (Read expensive). It cost nothing but a bit of time and gas to go have a peek, and judge if it will meet your needs.

Good luck….Bert

hardtail
01-05-2012, 10:50 PM
It does look like an odd bird.......bed looks very short, spindle hole doesn't look overly big ~2" max? and no tailstock.......his other stuff looks odd too.......antique milling machine that appears to look more like a radial drill without the radial.......LOL

danlb
01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
It's so short and has such a wide apron that it has to have only 10 or 12 inches of travel. And that's without a tailstock.

That suggests that it is a special build or an alteration of a larger lathe. You can't see the right side where it should mount to the stand. If it was altered to be used for a single operation it would not have needed the leadscrew.

Just guessing.

Dan

RussZHC
01-06-2012, 12:40 AM
antique milling machine that appears to look more like a radial drill without the radial.......LOL

Until mentioned, I did not even look at the other ads.

To me, that "milling machine" looks like the guts of a medium small shaper with a home built drilling attachment (fastened to the overarm, partially where the cutter would be but also a bit further back)...when you think about it, if the shaper was unused, an interesting idea to greatly increase the capacity...personally I would be more interested in seeing if the shaper could be returned to its original use

Andrew_D
01-06-2012, 12:45 AM
The link from Tony's site: http://www.lathes.co.uk/storebro/

1) Look at the headstock and tailstock chip/oil trays. The headstock end looks fairly heavy duty, probably cast. The tailstock end looks like sheet metal.

2) The apron seems to be missing some levers...the two round dome-shaped pieces each have a lever beside them. I'm guessing these are the clutches for cross-feed and carriage feed. However, there does not appear to be a half-nut lever. I'm guessing that it is in the upper-right of the apron on the pic from Tony's site, but I only see a cast boss here...doesn't look like it was ever drilled for the half-nut lever. Maybe this is in original condition?

3) Just had a thought...large diameter swing...short bed...could this have been ordered like this, or modified after the fact to make a brake lathe???

4) Tony's site mentions that these had an L2 spindle nose. On the back side of the faceplate, does it look like a seperate ring there? Maybe the nut to tighten up the L2 nose?

Andrew

Andrew_D
01-06-2012, 12:46 AM
To me, that "milling machine" looks like the guts of a medium small shaper with a home built drilling attachment (fastened to the overarm, partially where the cutter would be but also a bit further back)...when you think about it, if the shaper was unused, an interesting idea to greatly increase the capacity...personally I would be more interested in seeing if the shaper could be returned to its original use

My first thought was..."Is that a shaper vise?"

Also, check out the extra tooling for the "milling machine". Looks like CAT/BT taper stuff. Probably 30taper. I don't know if I'd want to trust the "spindle" bracing for too much milling.

I just zoomed in on the area around the spindle. Does anyone else see a round chunk of metal behind there. Perhaps like the end of a shaper ram, where the downfeed/clapper box/toolpost assembly mounted. Depending what the other side of the machine looks like, it may not be that hard to convert back to a shaper as Russ said. Just need to adapt a downfeed, clapper box and toolpost. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya...

Andrew

philbur
01-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Short bed with no tailstock suggested it's designed for short workpieces. Large swing with low spindle rpm suggest it's designed for large diameter workpieces.

Short, large diameter workpieces suggest a special purpose machine - possibly drum/disc brake machining or something similar. I think that if you want a general purpose machine this is not it.

Phil:)

macona
01-06-2012, 05:36 AM
The lathe is a TFB (Turn Face Bore) Basically a manufacturing lathe that was set up for a specific function.

The other lathe is a generic 9x20, but it looks a little longer.

The "Mill" is something built from a shaper. Looks like NMTB 40 tooling.

All overpriced.

RussZHC
01-06-2012, 07:18 AM
The thought that occurred late yesterday and I think it would "fit" given the size of the local, and past, railway works, could it be for finishing car wheels?

Andrew_D
01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
The thought that occurred late yesterday and I think it would "fit" given the size of the local, and past, railway works, could it be for finishing car wheels?

I guess you mean train car wheels? I don't think you'll find too many train wheels that would fit a 24" lathe. Maybe on smaller MOW vehicles. (For those that don't know, MOW stands for "Maintenance Of Way" - repair vehicles that can travel on tracks.)

Andrew

P.S. There was a thread on PM not too long ago about train axle/wheel lathes: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machinery-sale-wanted/looking-railroad-axle-lathe-201116/. It indicated that common wheel sizes were 28, 33, 36, 40 inch.