PDA

View Full Version : Minature Drill Press

Boucher
01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
I have been needing a smaller, faster, more accurate drill press for holes less than .063
ENCO has this one in their current flyer. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=PG328-6573
Any one have any thoughts or experience with one?

smalltime
01-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Looks like it's worth a try. But at that price, I'm finding it hard to beleive that the quality is there.

You really need to FEEL the drill at sizes less than .031 or so. I would recommend you buy a high accuracy chuck for your milling machine (if you have one). Much smoother feel and no out of balance jumping around.

We drill holes at sizes down to .009 on a J head bridgey. The key, is to find the properly sharpened bit for the job. I go thru and look at the tips with a loupe to find the right ones.

Also, a good spotter is a must, not a centerdrill.

Good luck
:D

Rosco-P
01-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Looks like the typical chinee POS. Something like this would probably deliver much better results: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUMORE-HIGH-SPEED-PRECISION-JEWELERS-WATCH-MAKERS-DRILL-PRESS-/290652639192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ac3f4fd8

Machines made by AVEY, Hamilton and others come up for sale all the time. Just requires some dilligence.

Gazz
01-07-2012, 11:32 AM
There is a sensitive type chuck that will fit in any drill press. They have a bearing mounted knurled ring on them and you hold that and feed the drill that way. Very sensitive as the quill stays in place and the feel is in your finger tips.

Rosco-P
01-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Reardless of the sensitive chuck, if the quality is not there in the spindle bearings and the fit of the quill, you will still break small drills.

The answer to every machine or tool requirement, needn't start (and end)with the Enco catalog, Grizzley website or Horror Freight store.

Mcgyver
01-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Looks like the typical chinee POS. Something like this would probably deliver much better results: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUMORE-HIGH-SPEED-PRECISION-JEWELERS-WATCH-MAKERS-DRILL-PRESS-/290652639192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ac3f4fd8

Dumore's are nice. I have their speeder, basically the motor/spindle and chuck. Fast and balanced and next to no runout.

As I've said many times the real key to drilling small isn't super high speed, although it helps and is nice, the real key is sensitivity. Pics of one i made from a HSM design are here...the design is excellent and works very well. minimal friction and the counterbalance are the key - avoid designs without a counterbalance

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=45798

The speeder held in the drill press and this table is what i use

gbritnell
01-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I have just what you're looking for. Send me a message off line and I'll tell you about it.
gbritnell

Spin Doctor
01-07-2012, 03:15 PM
We had a Dumore at work and for its intended use it was great. Although I do think a sensitive feed chuck is a better way to go. But we had a guy that one day he had a hit is thumb with a hammer and instead of using the hot paper clip method to punch a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure he got the idea to drill a hole in the nail. Once the drill broke through the bottom of the nail the flutes grabbed and it shot all the ways out the other side of the thumb. One of those things that gets funnier with time. :eek:

ttok
01-07-2012, 03:49 PM
You might also look at a Cameron micro drill press.

http://cameronmicrodrillpress.com/presses.html

I have one of these (model 164) with an X-Y table from a toolmaker's microscope on it. It will drill small diameter holes all day long. They are very expensive new, but mine cost about $100 on Ebay, plus another $200 or so to obtain another spindle that would take my Albrecht chuck. One fully tricked out sells for about $350 occasionally on Ebay, and that is the best way to go. The X-Y table was about $90 extra.

A.T.

darryl
01-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reminder on this. Many times I've needed a small, precision drill press, but there doesn't seem to be one that suits me. But I do have a project in the works that is a combo lathe and mill. The mill portion would be perfect as a low-play, precision high speed spindle drill press. It does have an x-y table that has been crafted to be fairly tight and accurately oriented to the spindle.

This does make me think that some of the micro mills might be better suited to the OP than any of the available drill presses.

MikeHenry
01-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Jerry Howell had several plan sets for that sort of thing and his son still sells the plans at very reasonable cost.

http://www.model-engine-plans.com/engineplans/bookshelf/minidrill.htm?3,16

http://www.model-engine-plans.com/engineplans/bookshelf/millspindle.htm?26,11

http://www.model-engine-plans.com/engineplans/bookshelf/drillpress.htm?27,23

If you can live with the spindle speed on your mill, I've found that the sensitive drill chucks that were mentioned byy Spin Doctor work very well for feeling your way through the drilling operation. I use one by Royal with an Albrect keyless chuck.

ftownroe
01-08-2012, 02:31 PM
McGyver- Any chance you know what issue the plans for that project came from? Thanks

Mcgyver
01-08-2012, 06:09 PM
McGyver- Any chance you know what issue the plans for that project came from? Thanks

hmm, built it years and years ago, might even have been out of one of the projects books....I can't off hand, sorry....guess we need an index!

Its fairly simple, might be able to build from the pics....as a start iirc its all from 1/2" AL and the post is 3/8" dia

ammcoman2
01-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Built the Jerry Howell micro drill press many years ago. I initially used a Jacobs #0 chuck which is fine but now have an Albrecht 1.5mm chuck on it (brand new on E-Bay for $37!).

The method of feeding the spindle, a capstan system, is perfect for tiny drills. It works really well for drilling holes smaller than 1/16" (1.5mm) dia.

Used it to drill a 0.004" hole for a gas burner jet and didn't break the drill - beginners luck I am sure.

Nice project - learned a lot about machining as a rookie. Took me 3 attempts though, to get the spindle play under control!

Geoff

Doggie
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
We had a Dumore at work and for its intended use it was great. Although I do think a sensitive feed chuck is a better way to go. But we had a guy that one day he had a hit is thumb with a hammer and instead of using the hot paper clip method to punch a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure he got the idea to drill a hole in the nail. Once the drill broke through the bottom of the nail the flutes grabbed and it shot all the ways out the other side of the thumb. One of those things that gets funnier with time. :eek:

Ha Ha Ha,,, :D That's a good one alright! A real smart move, I must say.

And you know, I saw the very same thing happen one day at a shop that I worked at. Mashed his finger, moaned and complained all morning, ( I would have gone to the Dr for a fix) He finally got talked into using a 1/16" drill bit. They told him to do it by hand, with his other fingers. But hell no, he chucked it into a drill chuck that was in a bridgeport mill and a split second later :eek: A hole all the way through his finger!
The whole company (boss included) horse laughed at him a long time over that one. :confused: Never forget that one, and NO it wasn't me that did it.
Your friend, Doggie

Orrin
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Nobody has mentioned a Sherline mill, yet. Add a sensitive drilling attachment and you are in business! I have a DuMore sensitive drill I bought on eBay and it had problems. After pouring money and effort into it I'm still disappointed. I should have stuck with my Sherline mill which I already had. It provides the needed RPM, plus, it has X-Y movement built in, no extra X-Y table needed.

Orrin

gwilson
01-08-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't think 8500 RPM is very fast for very small drills. My Servo drill press has 20,000 RPM.

joegib
01-09-2012, 05:41 AM
I have been needing a smaller, faster, more accurate drill press for holes less than .063
ENCO has this one in their current flyer. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=PG328-6573
Any one have any thoughts or experience with one?

I have one of these bought about 10 - 15 years ago at a UK model engineering show. The drill head and base are diecast alloy, the column being solid steel. Even so the unit was well machined, the geometry was fine and there was absolutely no slop between the quill and head housing. Surprisingly, the 0-6mm drill chuck was dead accurate with no detectable runout. The chuck would happily hold 0.6mm HSS drills for PCB drilling with no breakages. The machine I bought was made in Taiwan.

The Achilles heel of the unit is the motor. The motor is suspended vertically from a horizontal strap fixed at the other end to the quill body. The whole assembly rises and falls within the head housing, the spindle being belt-driven via 3-speed pulleys. The motor is a domestic sewing-machine type 90W and 6500rpm. But the motor on my unit failed after 6 months of light use. Some years ago I obtained a replacement, a modern style sewing-machine motor with the plastic casing including the socket for a 3-pin plug. After some surgery I was able to fit that to the drill. This lasted 2 weeks until the magic smoke escaped! I'm left with the feeling that these sewing machine motors or modern ones, at least aren't designed for vertical running.

I've since obtained a robust 24V DC motor of the right size that should do the job but have yet to fit it. Shame really because I like the main machine elements but the motor problem is a real showstopper. Who needs the hassle for 150?

Joe

planeman
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I bought a small used industrial sensitive drill press on eBay a while back for cheap to use with tiny drills. One thing that is important with tiny drills is to keep in mind that the rotational speed needs to increase as the diameter gets smaller so these special purpose drill presses operate at a high speed.

I also have an Albrecht precision chuck mounted onto a sensitive feed (by your fingers) shaft that is mounted in a regular 1/2" drill press chuck. The rotational speed isn't as high as I would like it to be but the ability to "feel" the drilling and pressure is wonderful. I also bought this used on eBay too.

Just some thoughts.

Planeman

Jerry
01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Years back, I was also looking for a small drill press, and built this tiny drill press. I have been going to change out the motor, with a variable speed one that I have aquired, but I haven't got around to it yet. Regardless, it works well.

http://www.jerryclement.ca/Machines/Machine-Shop/11278498_Ckfkv#!i=748926091&k=uGCUJ

Arthur.Marks
01-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Very nice, Jerry. Looks to me that it is the "universal pillar tool" with the optional drill press attachment. It is currently available through Martin Model and Pattern -- who also offer the castings for the Quorn you completed. Nice job on both.

Jerry
01-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Very nice, Jerry. Looks to me that it is the "universal pillar tool" with the optional drill press attachment. It is currently available through Martin Model and Pattern -- who also offer the castings for the Quorn you completed. Nice job on both.

Thanks Arthur,

You are right on the mark with the castings being the "universal pillar tool". I wasonly interested in building the drill press at the time, although, I still have the extra castings.

sasquatch
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Jerry great job on the drill and also your'e site,, the shop pics are GREAT!!

Thanks for posting them!!

aboard_epsilon
01-10-2012, 06:06 PM
i have a very small Chinese one still boxed up ..its been like that for 3 years ..

i bought one from aldi for 30.

on the way home with the first one i bought ..i took it to show a friend ..he immediately offered me 30 for ...i accepted ..as i was sure i had made a mistake buying it..............we assembled it ..

and wow, i was impressed with this particular model ..seems to be Chinese but to German specifications ..meaning it was made well.

lol

on the way home i bought another for myself

its quite different from the usual junk ..

it has a motor that has has vent through it..so plenty of air can pass through it..unlike the others it doesn't run red hot.

it has an unusual arbor ..no Morse taper ..but it has a taper (reversed) sticking down to which it chuck fixes to.

it came with quality no volt release and a drill vice that also was very good .

you cant go wrong for 30

if you have an aldi near you and one comes up ..buy it .

btw a s/h aldi one identical to mine just went on ebay for 58.75 and 17 bids !!!!....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pillar-drill-bench-drill-Power-Craft-hardly-used-very-good-condition-/140671848484?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item20c0b21024

heres the same one that was posted earlier on the thread with a bonus of varible speed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-TINY-SMALL-SIZE-TABLETOP-ELECTRIC-POWER-BENCH-TOP-TABLE-DRILL-PRESS-TOOL-/290637425477?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu %3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D140671848484%252 B140671848484%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D55211687 18869877932

Jerry
01-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Jerry great job on the drill and also your'e site,, the shop pics are GREAT!!

Thanks for posting them!!

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.