PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Duck hunting

bmc
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
HEARD ON A WISCONSIN RADIO STATION REPORTING ON THE INCIDENT.

A guy buys a new Lincoln Navigator for $42,500.00 with monthly payments of $560.00. He and a friend go duck hunting in upper Wisconsin.
It's mid-winter...and of course all of the lakes are frozen.
These two guys go out on the ice with their GUNS, a DOG, and the new NAVIGATOR. They decide they want to make a natural looking, open water area for the ducks to focus on, something for the decoys to float on.

Now, making a hole in the ice large enough to invite a passing duck is going to take a little more power than the average drill auger can produce.
So, out of the back of the new Navigator comes a stick of dynamite with a short 40 second-fuse.

Our two Rocket Scientists, afraid they might slip on the ice while trying to run away after lighting the fuse, decide on the following course of action:
they light the 40 second fuse and throw the stick of dynamite as far away as possible.

Remember a couple of paragraphs back mentioned the NAVIGATOR, the GUNS, and the DOG...?
Let's talk about the dog:
A highly trained Black Lab used for RETRIEVING; especially things thrown by the owner. You guessed it. The dog takes off across the ice at a high rate of speed and grabs the stick of dynamite, with the burning 40-second fuse just as it hits the ice.

The two men swallow, blink, start waving their arms, scream and holler at the dog to stop. The dog, now apparently cheered on by his master, keeps coming. One hunter panics, grabs a shotgun and shoots the dog. The shotgun is loaded with #8 bird shot, hardly enough to stop a Black Lab.

The dog slows for a moment, slightly confused, then continues on.
Another shot, and this time the dog, still standing, becomes really confused and of course terrified!!!!!!

The dog takes off to find cover, UNDER the brand new Navigator.

The men continue to scream as they run. The red hot exhaust pipe on the truck touches the dog's rear end, he yelps, drops the dynamite under the truck and takes off after his master.

Then KA BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

The truck is blasted and sinks to the bottom of the lake, leaving the two standing there with 'I can't believe this just happened' looks on their faces.

The insurance company says that sinking a vehicle in a lake by illegal use of explosives is NOT COVERED by the policy. And he still had yet to make the first of those $560.00 a month payments.

The dog is okay...report said 'doing fine'.

I don't think this story is really true.... Nobody with any sense would use #8 shot for ducks. :-)

Bob
Retired and medicated for your protection...........

Toolguy
01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
An after all that you're thinking these guys had any sense?:rolleyes:

Rustybolt
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Mythbusters, right?

This one is so old it has a beard.

Apropo.

A saying from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan- Never take you truck anyplace a 4WD tow truck can't get you out of.

Cost of a tow out of a flooded two track with a tow truck-$100

Cost of a tow out of a swamp with a log skidder-$1200.00
And that's the starting price.

justanengineer
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
http://www.snopes.com/critters/cruelty/dynamite.asp

Sorry to burst the bubble with the link...reference to dynamite being used/accessed by someone without a license outside of the military is highly doubtful. Use of dynamite by someone with a license is also highly doubtful. They wouldnt want to lose their license by using it recklessly, and dynamite is rather antiquated today in favor of more modern explosives.

A similar, but true, incidient I witnessed living in NY 2-3 yrs ago now...

~18 yr old kid borrows his father's brandy new (weeks old) $60k Super Duty Ford ridiculous edition dually pickup and enters the local truck pulls (without Daddy's knowledge) thinking the new diesel can compete (good luck). Halfway down the track during his first run the transmission input shaft snaps, engine overspeeds, flywheel disintegrates, and the kid barefly escapes injury as metal chunks poke big holes in the floor and roof of the cab.

Insurance company's ruling - entering a truck pulling contest is not covered. Truck is totalled beyond repair and father is pissed as he will be paying on it for quite a few years in addition to the necessary replacement. I think it ruined his plan to pay the minimum amount for a few years then trade the truck in, as seems to be the common method these days.

lynnl
01-08-2012, 12:18 PM
I think most water fowl keep migrating southward toward open water as freeze up occurs anyway.

Nevertheless, it makes for an entertaining story.

kendall
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
A saying from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan- Never take you truck anyplace a 4WD tow truck can't get you out of.

People used to think it was silly when I said I didn't want the best off road truck, I only wanted the second or third best so someone was able to pull me out.

wierdscience
01-08-2012, 01:17 PM
4x4 means you can get stuck twice as fast:)

dian
01-08-2012, 01:20 PM
"A highly trained Black Lab used for RETRIEVING"

sorry bmc, the lab was not trained at all.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/romandian/DSC00538.jpg

this is a trained lab. we were to 14 field trials last year. if the only moves his ass without my command, we are out of competition.

John Stevenson
01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
How do you train him to stand on the wall ? :rolleyes:

Spin Doctor
01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
FIBs, definitely FIBs* Provided of course the story is true

*F*&$%)g Illinios B$#*(#$ds

Black_Moons
01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Old story. Way I heard it was some hunters tying some TNT onto a rabbit who ran under thier truck, Except no mention of prices or 'how new' the truck was, yadayada (What bs)

And while TNT today is illegal, My grandpa tells me storys of using TNT to remove stumps on his farm. Kids in the old days had all the fun! (I HIGHLY doubt he had a lisence way back then)

Black Forest
01-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I would agree with Dian. Any retriever that leaves without command would soon get his ass filled with lead. At least that has been my experience.

dian
01-08-2012, 02:02 PM
weird, 5 minutes ago the picture was right! now it rotated by 90 gedrees. must be the swiss gnomes at work.

The Doctor
01-08-2012, 06:30 PM
http://www.snopes.com/critters/cruelty/dynamite.asp

Sorry to burst the bubble with the link...reference to dynamite being used/accessed by someone without a license outside of the military is highly doubtful. Use of dynamite by someone with a license is also highly doubtful. They wouldnt want to lose their license by using it recklessly, and dynamite is rather antiquated today in favor of more modern explosives.

A similar, but true, incidient I witnessed living in NY 2-3 yrs ago now...

~18 yr old kid borrows his father's brandy new (weeks old) $60k Super Duty Ford ridiculous edition dually pickup and enters the local truck pulls (without Daddy's knowledge) thinking the new diesel can compete (good luck). Halfway down the track during his first run the transmission input shaft snaps, engine overspeeds, flywheel disintegrates, and the kid barefly escapes injury as metal chunks poke big holes in the floor and roof of the cab.

Insurance company's ruling - entering a truck pulling contest is not covered. Truck is totalled beyond repair and father is pissed as he will be paying on it for quite a few years in addition to the necessary replacement. I think it ruined his plan to pay the minimum amount for a few years then trade the truck in, as seems to be the common method these days.

Another funny but BS story. Diesels are governed, in the case of a pickup truck it's a min-max type. Prevents engine from stalling at idle or over-revving. Remove load with pedal floored & it will just sit there happily running at max RPM until you lift your foot.

Ed

The Artful Bodger
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
You would think those guys on the lake would have heard of all the others who have tried that and would have held on to the dog!:D

Arcane
01-08-2012, 06:45 PM
It's a good chuckle but it isn't too far from reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umRB0FS2eac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552CYjmsEe8&feature=related

jdunmyer
01-08-2012, 07:25 PM
And while TNT today is illegal, My grandpa tells me storys of using TNT to remove stumps on his farm. Kids in the old days had all the fun! (I HIGHLY doubt he had a lisence way back then)

Actually, most rural hardware stores sold dynamite over the counter as recently as 40 or so years ago. My buddy, who is 66 years old, bought it when he was young to blow stumps out of the ground. This was very common, as bulldozers weren't at the time.

bandmiller2
01-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Anouther duck hunting trick is to add a box of blue tintex clothing dye to five gallons of water and dump it on the ice,set decoys on it,looks just like open water and company to mr. quacker. Frank C.

justanengineer
01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Another funny but BS story. Diesels are governed, in the case of a pickup truck it's a min-max type. Prevents engine from stalling at idle or over-revving. Remove load with pedal floored & it will just sit there happily running at max RPM until you lift your foot.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I will remember that the next time one of the big yellow diesels I design for a living overspeeds and does exactly as I stated previously. If speed limiters were reliable, my 99 Firebird would still be on the original engine. :D

Governors dont limit max speed btw, speed ("rev") limiters do. Its an entirely different logic circuit within the PCM.

I will try to find a news article to prove it, but as stated previously, my own two eyes witnessed it at the Oneida County fairgrounds in Boonville NY in either 2008 or 09.

Spin Doctor
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
For something truely explosive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agQFh6y4-jE

gzig5
01-08-2012, 09:20 PM
I know that didn't happen this year. We don't have enough ice to drive on.

lynnl
01-09-2012, 12:40 AM
I didn't see it myself, but years ago while I was in the AF a good friend was on the way to the flight line for a real early morning takeoff, and as he passed by the golf course he watched a duck make a "crash landing" on one of the greens.

There was at the time a heavy coating of dew on the grass, which apparently made it look like a pond to the duck. It was right around sunrise, so I guess there was probably some glare which contributed to the watery illusion.

Kiwi
01-09-2012, 03:17 AM
One must always remember to not let the truth spoil a good story

jdunmyer
01-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Remember, when telling a story, you must always begin with:

"This ain't no s%$t!"

lynnl
01-09-2012, 12:34 PM

I assume that's in reference to my 'duck on the golf course' story.
Like I said, I didn't see it. But I certainly believe it to be true. The guy who told it wasn't really the type to concoct a story like that, plus ducks were commonplace around the golf course which had several real ponds.

It's not at all uncommon for birds to fly into stuff like that. Over the years I've had probably a couple of dozen birds bang against a large picture window in an upstairs bathroom, with many fatalities. There's a clump of trees close by, and my guess is that the birds are attracted to the reflection of the trees in that window, and then WHAMO!
....and that's no s%$t!"

Weston Bye
01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
For something truely explosive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agQFh6y4-jE

Ah, you dirty guy!:D Even though I have heard of this recording, I never actually heard it. It had me wetting myself.

Fortunately, I am still equipped with a catheter and Depends diapers so no damage done.

Kiwi
01-10-2012, 05:59 PM
No Lynnl It was not! more of a general rule for a good story. I had to go back to reed your post.
Cheers Kiwi