PDA

View Full Version : Have you looked in the bottom of your toolbox lately?

SGW
01-10-2012, 10:23 AM
I've got a hip-roof toolbox that I keep my home maintenance tools in -- hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, socket sets, and other assorted stuff. I just had occasion to dig down to the bottom of it in search of a particular thingie and discovered my 9mm combination wrench that's been missing for about 15 years.

I guess it might pay to clean out my toolboxes once in a while.

jep24601
01-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I was looking through a box of junk tools at a yard sale near me one day. The tools were marked for 25c each and certainly weren't worth more than that. I persevered through the pile of junk right to the bottom of the box and there I found a set of brass cased fleams. (Lancets for bloodletting). A nice find for a quarter.

RancherBill
01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Is it a Mastercraft 9 mm? Mine is missing also.

Rustybolt
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't want to disturb the mice that call my toolbox home for the winter. It's their little rodent Ft Lauterdale.

SGW
01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Sorry, its an Indestro. :)

What I'd really like to find is my original South Bend toolpost wrench. It vanished when we moved in 2007, although I'm sure I packed it.

Highpower
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM
When I brought my boxes home (large Snap-On chest & cabs) from the last shop I worked in, I wanted to empty it out and give it a thorough cleaning inside and out even though I wiped down the exterior often times at work. Afterward I wish I hadn't done it.

After removing all the drawers and slides for a good scrubbing (they were sticking badly) I found a thick black sludge that covered every square inch of the interior of the boxes.

The shop had two huge waste oil furnaces for heating the service bay areas in the winter. After several years there I can only imagine what the inside of my lungs look like - and I DON'T smoke. :(

tlfamm
01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Last time I went toolbox diving I found a shorty screwdriver I had borrowed from a friend 45 years ago (had his initials on it).

Periodic attempts to locate him and return the tool to him have so far failed.

Mcgyver
01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
I've reached the point where the memory line has crossed the accumulation of stuff line. It often feels like Christmas when I go digging

oldtiffie
01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I've got a hip-roof toolbox that I keep my home maintenance tools in -- hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, socket sets, and other assorted stuff. I just had occasion to dig down to the bottom of it in search of a particular thingie and discovered my 9mm combination wrench that's been missing for about 15 years.

I guess it might pay to clean out my toolboxes once in a while.

No way!!

Thar be trolls and demons in there thar be.

sasquatch
01-10-2012, 05:20 PM
This is a fun interesting post to read!!

Only thing i found one time in the back of a tool chest i bought used, was an old pay stub from a mechanic, i think it was from the 1970's.

It had been in the drawer, but slipped back in behind one of the drawers.

Forestgnome
01-10-2012, 06:25 PM
As a matter of fact I did. Just found a pair of snap-ring pliers I forgot I had.

gizmo2
01-10-2012, 10:04 PM
In 1971, a lovely lady gave me her husband's fishing knife, a civil war era Skilstuna barrel knife. In 1992 it disappeared during our move across country, and didn't surface until our next move, four years later. I looked high and low for that knife, as it was the one that got me started collecting. Darnedest thing...

motorworks
01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
In looking through my box...I found a spare key to a Hardley Davidson I sold 23 yrs ago...found the owner and pasted it on....the demon has now left the shop and business is good again...karma... :D
e2die

beanbag
01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I found this at the bottom of my tool box. Does anybody know what it is? It's about 3/8 x 3/8 x 3" long, with no visible markings. The edges are semi-sharp, so I've used it for de-burring and square corner hand broaching before. Also, it seems to be made of a really hard material. Once, my brother and I used it when working on his suspension, as a hunk of metal to wedge into place to pop out a ball joint. It took an incredible amount of pressure without even denting.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q286/beanbag137/IMG_0556.jpg

motorworks
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
The Monolith....:)

mickeyf
01-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I found this at the bottom of my tool box. Does anybody know what it is? It's about 3/8 x 3/8 x 3" long, with no visible markings.

Let us know when you find out. I've got some an awful lot like it, but most of mine have been damaged. Looks like somebody was grinding on the ends of 'em.

huntinguy
01-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Toolboxes have bottoms????

When did they start putting those in????

I know mine doesn't.

Forestgnome
01-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I found this at the bottom of my tool box. Does anybody know what it is? It's about 3/8 x 3/8 x 3" long, with no visible markings. The edges are semi-sharp, so I've used it for de-burring and square corner hand broaching before. Also, it seems to be made of a really hard material. Once, my brother and I used it when working on his suspension, as a hunk of metal to wedge into place to pop out a ball joint. It took an incredible amount of pressure without even denting.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q286/beanbag137/IMG_0556.jpg
Blank lathe bit.

Spin Doctor
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
The best one I ever heard was when a guy was looking for something and couldn't find it he said "well, I guess it settled to the bottom"

malbenbut
01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
You come from dust and you return to dust, there's someone in the bottom of my toolbox either coming or going.
MBB

BigMike782
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I found part of a pint of Canadian Mist in the top of one of my box stacks.....it's still partially there too.

I found my Grandfathers Bendix security pass from 1937.....the stories I imagine that tool box could tell:cool:

Wirecutter
01-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Blank lathe bit.

I inherited a bunch of this kind of thing from my father, who inherited them from HIS father. (Thusly I learned that Dad's Dad was a machinist at one time...)

The really fun part, I found, was determining what materials they were. One of them was Stellite, and what an amazing material that is. It's got the best "red-hardness" (stays hard, even when hot) of any lathe cutter I've seen. (I'm sure there's better now, I just haven't seen any.) The stuff's harder to find now-a-days, as apparently there's a push to phase it out, at least for machine tooling. The problem is it contains cobalt, and in the presence of radiation, can start producing the dangerously radioactive cobalt-60.

Oh well, I guess I won't be machining my plutonium with those cutters. :D

-M

rock_breaker
01-11-2012, 07:25 PM
I've reached the point where the memory line has crossed the accumulation of stuff line. It often feels like Christmas when I go digging

I can't remember the type of machine (grader I think) but I found a 3/4" combination wrench on a bolt head on the machine's engine. It had been there several years and had yellow paint on it from when the machine was sold or rebuilt.

sasquatch
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I found an old "Beach" brand tool box at the ladfill one time years back.

Think it was a 6 drawer model, and totally fithy and some rust.

When i finally got it dismantled and the drawers out, in behind the larger bottom drawer were a bunch of new tire valve stems, the bottom drawer was covered in a layer of some sort of glue i had to chip out before i cleaned it up and painted it,,, leaving me to think it may have been in a tire truck one time.
Son still has it and uses it to store his odd ball tools.

beanbag
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Blank lathe bit.

How do you use it? It doesn't look like it has a chipbreaker or the right reliefs anywhere. Unless you are supposed to tilt it downwards like those negative inserts. But I don't have the right toolholder or anvil to hold it at that angle. I guess having 8 indexable cutting edges isn't so bad, though.

spope14
01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
This past winter while cleaning tool boxes after ten years I found a full set of alignment tools for a Chevy Monza clutch job including a spline and tranny alignment studs. Also found an old Schlitz Fire Brew bottle still full and capped in another box.

toolmaker76
01-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Found an Xacto knife- OUCH!:eek:

Deus Machina
01-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Found an Xacto knife- OUCH!:eek:

Done that!

Found a clutch tool for a Chevrolet S-10 in the bottom of mine, once. I have never owned nor done work on the transmission of an S-10.

Mostly the bottom of my toolboxes contain an oil-dirt-swarf grunge mixture.

The box that came in a friend's new (to him) truck contained a trucker bomb...

Never anything interesting in mine; I did find a quarter of my tools in a coworker's box, though. :rolleyes:

jbacc
01-13-2012, 06:41 AM
How do you use it? It doesn't look like it has a chipbreaker or the right reliefs anywhere. Unless you are supposed to tilt it downwards like those negative inserts. But I don't have the right toolholder or anvil to hold it at that angle. I guess having 8 indexable cutting edges isn't so bad, though.

You grind it to the desired shape with proper angle and relief cuts and then install it on to the proper tool holder.

lugnut
01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
A good friend of mine paid a Lock Smith $150 to drive 50 miles and pick the lock of his car's trunk and make new keys. He thought he had locked his keys in the trunk after putting on new licence plates. Some months later while looking in his tool box for a tool, he found his lost keys in the bottom of the box.:eek: