PDA

View Full Version : OT Cabin Fever

duckman
01-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Other than myself and GWilson, who went to the CB show. Sold a few things and paid for the trip plus a little extra. There were some bargains and a lot of no bargains at the auction. Next years show is going to be in April.

gbritnell
01-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Too bad they didn't plan it so as to not conflict with the NAMES show a week or two later.
gbritnell

pressurerelief
01-16-2012, 08:14 AM
I went friday and attended the art to part class done by Ron Ginger and Brian Barker. I liked the drag link crane on display in the sand.

gwilson
01-16-2012, 10:01 AM
I was delighted to get a large hydraulic pump from Duckman,and to meet him.

The show was not very crowded on Friday,but there was a large crowd on Saturday,which was pretty hard to get through

A great show,all in all. I picked up a number of nice tools,and saw a bunch of great demos.

Arthur.Marks
01-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Unlikely, but it can't hurt to ask... I saw on the auction list a reference to "Schaublin threading tools". Did anyone note what exactly that was? Did it sell? I couldn't make it, and I didn't see any pictures referencing it in the auction listings. Just curious, really.

duckman
01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I heard it thru the grape vine that is one of the reasons he wanted to change the dates, to take people away from the NAMES show and he wants to see if he can get some things set up out side, traction engines, ride on steam trains, and what ever else will fit out side, also wants to be able to have RV's come and stay.

justanengineer
01-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Can those of us not fortunate enough to attend bother those that did to post any pictures taken?

TGTool
01-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I heard it thru the grape vine that is one of the reasons he wanted to change the dates, to take people away from the NAMES show and he wants to see if he can get some things set up out side, traction engines, ride on steam trains, and what ever else will fit out side, also wants to be able to have RV's come and stay.

Take people away from the NAMES show? What kind of deal is that? The way it is now they're far enough apart in both location and schedule to draw from different groups with some overlap. NAMES doesn't suck away any of Gary's attendees so what's the beef? That might be only speculation and rumor and I'd like to hear other thoughts. Being able to have outdoor displays makes some sense. Iron Fever would provide that so is this an attempt to merge the Cabin Fever and Iron Fever events? Organizers trying to step on each others' shows can't be good for the community. :(

gwilson
01-16-2012, 04:50 PM
I forgot my camera.

justanengineer
01-16-2012, 05:11 PM
If those shows are the same weekend, to me its motivation to see both, whereas otherwise I would likely only be attending one. Both are a good bit of travel, but if I haul to one I might as well go slightly out of the way and see both. I think the only issue may be working the travel schedule to attend both, but wouldnt consider one Friday and another Sunday unreasonable.

loose nut
01-16-2012, 05:16 PM
We were told (can't claim any truth) that he wants to move it to a time with better weather because it costs so much to put it on if he had to many "snow" no-shows then he would be in trouble.

ponderingjunkman
01-16-2012, 07:50 PM
I went- lurking in the shadows as usual- and had a grand time- as usual. Lots of box lots for a buck, and got the little green electric cook stove for Mrs. Ponderingjunkwoman. But the steal was the little chest of drawers full of taps, dies, left hand taps, heli coil taps, knurls... about 150lb of stuff- for a C-note. Good stuff!!

I was disappointed with the sorta silent auction Saturday- the reserves on the stuart casting kits were( to my cheap outlook) Crazy! $1000 for the triple expansion marine engine? really? But I am cheap...

As for the show in april- It must cost lots to heat that place! I won't go all the way to Nemes tho.

Good time all around tho!

TOOLZNTHINGS
01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
+1 on Loose Nut post. Heard from reliable source that the move is to prevent lost monies from any bad weather. The cost to rent the arena is very expensive. Like everything, I'm sure the overall costs are going up.