PDA

View Full Version : Encountering genius

rmcphearson
01-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Driving home last night on a two lane highway outside town with the radio down low, the cruise control on 55 mph, having a conversation with the wife. We are on a long straight stretch of the highway where there is no lighting. No one behind, no one in front, and no oncoming traffic either. Something impacts the back of the car, slightly lifting it, with no warning and with such force I lost my mind for a couple seconds.

We didn't see or hear anything until the impact. No lights, no nada. I hate to admit it and I never thought I would, but I was actually screaming in fear. Not knowing what the hell was happening was terrifying. One thing that popped into my mind was that aliens swooped down, shocking us unto submission before the abduction. I coudn't think of a sensable explaination.

After a few seconds, realizing we are still alive and on earth, I start to slow down. But I wasn't stopping because I wanted to get away from whatever the **** just "happened" back there. I pulled over a few hundred yards later, called 911, gave the location assuming there was a vehicle back there. How the hell it got there I could not fathom.

After a minute, a truck pulled up behind and the approaching man told me what happened. I went to the back of the car to take a look.

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/rmcphearson/Lexus%20damege/?action=view&current=P1170004.jpg

These photos were taken the next day of course.
Roland

sasquatch
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Your'e picture no workee!!:D

KiddZimaHater
01-17-2012, 07:58 PM
So what happened?
Link doesn't work.

mars-red
01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Oh no the link doesn't work! I can barely stand the suspense!

hornluv
01-17-2012, 08:07 PM
So, what hit you? The guy in the truck?

Optics Curmudgeon
01-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Link works for me. Somewhere off the road next to where you were hit there's a twisted motorcycle with a badly injured or dead rider. Came up behind and probably never saw you.

tyrone shewlaces
01-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Link works for me. Somewhere off the road next to where you were hit there's a twisted motorcycle with a badly injured or dead rider. Came up behind and probably never saw you.

After a hit like that a motorcycle might have gone big-time airborne and landed a few hundred yards more ahead of where you finally stopped. I'd guess he didn't pack a parachute.

Rosco-P
01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
So, what hit you? The guy in the truck?

Heck no. A space alien mistook your Lexus for one of its own kind and tried to couple (mate) with it, with less than stellar results.
A close encounter of the sixth or seventh kind.

Be prepared for a paternity suit.

Pherdie
01-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Perhaps he failed to tell us he had the car in reverse at the time??? I'd imagine on a Lexus, the cruise control would also work in reverse... :D

lane
01-17-2012, 08:37 PM
One thing for sure something died.

Boostinjdm
01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
How the hell can you make a post like that without following up with an explanation!?

Rosco-P
01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
If you look at his original post, he did come back several minutes later and edit it. Musta fixed his link.
Looking at the rest of his posts, the answer to your question may become self evident.

Optics Curmudgeon
01-17-2012, 09:46 PM
I see lots of cars tooling down the road with no taillights, any chance the fuse is blown? I can picture some two wheeled rocketeer going 100 or so into what he thinks is emptiness and kaboom! (I was one of those rocketeers once, and can see how it would happen).

Rosco-P
01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Willing to bet the white Lex is leased, so owner would have no idea a taillight was out until the "baby" was taken in for service (or they were pulled over and ticketed). He states that he didn't even get out to assess the damage until a trucker stopped and encouraged him to do so.

justanengineer
01-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Its a Lexus. Somewhere there is a homeless old lady pushing a shopping cart with a small scratch on it. :D Kidding.

A similar story happened to a friend a few years ago. He was driving the NYS thruway at 2 am on a Friday night, cruise on 65 to avoid troopers, and was rear-ended by a drunk "business" lady in a rental car hard enough to total his Tacoma despite the token redneck black iron water pipe rear bumper.

spope14
01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Reminds me of those TV shows that end a season with "To be continued....." Spill!!!!!!!!! What is going on!!!!!!

darryl
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Ok, let me guess- spare tire is (was) mounted underneath. The flimsy cable holding it up corroded off and the tire did a little flip, making the small space between the car and the road into a taller space. The sheet metal dutifully gave way, and at the same time gave the tire a pretty good spin. The tire then wobbled itself straight, caught a bit of traction against the road and rear-ended the car.

The trucker, momentarily stunned by what he had just seen, wasn't able to maneuver out of the way of the tire and ran over it with all nine wheels on one side of his rig, thus completely obliterating the evidence. We'll just have to take his word for it.

Rosco-P
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Ok, let me guess- spare tire is (was) mounted underneath. The flimsy cable holding it up corroded off and the tire did a little flip, making the small space between the car and the road into a taller space. The sheet metal dutifully gave way, and at the same time gave the tire a pretty good spin. The tire then wobbled itself straight, caught a bit of traction against the road and rear-ended the car.

Probably right...spare tire mounted underneath. What self respecting Lexus owner would permit the spare to be stored in the trunk, stinking everything up? How un-civilized!

winchman
01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
The OP is in Alabama, so there's not much chance of encountering a genius.

Willy
01-17-2012, 11:11 PM
The OP is in Alabama, so there's not much chance of encountering a genius.

But there is a chance he encountered a playful, UFO conceived youngster...oh scratch that, my bad....that would be Arkansas.

Bill736
01-17-2012, 11:53 PM
That's the main reason to wear your seat belt....it keeps the aliens from sucking you out of your car.

Mike Folks
01-18-2012, 12:02 AM
I'd think if a motorcycle hit the car, there'd be sounds of screeching tires, & most bikes on the road are pretty noisey, even if water cooled.

No evidence of rubber tire marks from the (supposed) bike on the Lexus?
Somebody testing stealth missiles nearby?

J Tiers
01-18-2012, 12:06 AM
OK, NO MORE POSTS by "rmcphearson" go un-heckled until he gives us the punch line.

BTW.... the spare tire idea probably fails utterly on an "energy balance" basis.

But there is a chance he encountered a playful, UFO conceived youngster...oh scratch that, my bad....that would be Arkansas.

Around here we'd probably suggest that in Arkansas, the kid might be your uncle.....AND your brother.

I know a former co-worker who has his own father for a brother-in-law, meaning that he is married to his own "step-aunt" near as I can tell.

BTW, the dad married the YOUNGER sister..... which means my former co-worker could by now (haven't seen him for a few years) have half brothers who are also his nephews, AND step-cousins, unless I have the various relationships wrong, which is totally possible.

atty
01-18-2012, 12:58 AM
For whatever it's worth, I can give you my punch line. I lived the same experience as the OP, only it was Alligator Alley in South Florida. 10:30 at night, no lights forward nor backward, just the desolation of south Florida swamp. Under those quiet conditions you kind of drift off into a safe mode of thinking, then suddenly.....the back of the car leaves the ground and you find yourself fighting for control of what....who the hell knows. This is not supposed to be happening. After I got the car under control, a million thoughts flood your confused mind, not the least of which.....I'm in South Florida on a pitch dark road. Hijack! Crash the car, then hijack the car and maybe the occupants, if necessary. So, I did somewhat the same as the OP. Park the car on the side of the road well down from point of impact and carefully creep back down the road.

There I found a fairly new Datsun with a severely crumpled front end. Inside was a groggy male driver and a severely pissed off female member in the passenger seat. After I determined all were reasonably OK, I beat feet back to my car and set about on how to notify authorities on exactly where the hell I am, when I had no idea and no landmarks whatsoever, short of alligator footprints on the shoulder of the road. Fortunately, an off duty cop came along who knew the area and called it in. Otherwise, we'd still be there.

Turns out, Dufus insisted on driving the girlfriend's car home from a party. Either forgot to turn on the headlights, or turned them off as he passed out. Either way, I can understand the reference to aliens. Under those circumstances, your selection of plausible explanations are a little limited. I guess I learned, among other things, never assume that just because you can't see headlights ahead or behind, that you are alone on a dark highway.

As luck would have it, somebody was looking after the drunk and disabled. A quarter mile down the road, it curved with several large concrete overpass supports dead ahead. Had he not crashed into the back of my car, he would surely have bought the farm on one of those abutments. Life, sometimes, has a strange way of launching us into some interesting adventures.

JRouche
01-18-2012, 01:12 AM
That right side bumper punch REALLY looks like a motorcycle hit. JR

Boostinjdm
01-18-2012, 01:20 AM
That right side bumper punch REALLY looks like a motorcycle hit. JR

I think so too.

Black Forest
01-18-2012, 01:52 AM
No one should be allowed to post something like this and then not explain.

Ban the bastard!

rdfeil
01-18-2012, 02:59 AM
I agree with Black Forest.....

If no explanation within 24 hours, on to the ignore list he will go :mad:

Evan
01-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Trucks have been known to lose wheels from time to time. They don't have running lights and it may have been travelling a lot more than 55.

The Artful Bodger
01-18-2012, 03:33 AM
Yes, looks like a truck wheel. You can see black smudges on the crumpled lid and on the bumper. You can get an impression of the width of the mysterious object too.

BTW, while I was groping along a coast road on a dark and stormy night I saw (what I thought) was a truck wheel bouncing along in the opposite lane and braced for impact which came dead centre on the front of my car. It bounced up over the roof and was gone so I can only imagine that rather than a truck wheel it must have been an inflatable beach toy, or some such.

darryl
01-18-2012, 03:46 AM
I was called out to repair a satelite system. When I got there, I could see a truck tire/wheel laying against the side of the house. The corner of the house was smashed in, the satelite dish was warped way out of shape, the fence near the house looked like a bomb had hit it. Across the field was another fence with similar damage.

Apparently the wheel had come off a semi and rolled through the ditch, taking out both fences before destroying the dish and finally smoking the house.

I was stopped behind a car at a red light many years ago when I saw the trunk of the car fly open and the car shoot into the intersection. The second thing I noticed was that my vehicle had hit it, and the third thing I realized was that I had been hit from behind. There was a guy sitting in the caddy behind me with his car pretty much crunched up to the windshield. He was ok, and he asked me if I was ok. I told him my neck was hurting, and he said 'they all say that'. Turns out he was a judge and he was late for a court case. Not paying attention, didn't bother to hit the brakes, just plowed into me. His car was toast, my cruiser had about $300 damage in total. The guy in front of me must have been carrying drugs or something- said something like he didn't care about the car, then took off.

Another time I was driving along, people in the back of my van, me not paying a lot of attention to the road ahead, when one of the girls let out a blood-curdling scream. I looked ahead just in time to miss a parked semi. Maybe I had some horseshoes judiciously placed, not saying where, and not complaining about it either.

Another time I'm driving along when suddenly the same girl whips a towel or something around my face and ties my head to the headrest. Now I'm blind and I grab the thing and whip it out the window. It got real quiet in the van for a few moments.

Ok, I'm just wasting some time here waiting for the OP to come back and tell us the rest of his story-

Boostinjdm
01-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Trucks have been known to lose wheels from time to time. They don't have running lights and it may have been travelling a lot more than 55.

I see a few problems with the truck tire explanation.

He did say "night" so I'm going to assume pretty much anybody on the road should have their headlights on so he would have seen a truck in his rear view mirror. If it wasn't that dark yet, he should have been able to see the truck in his rear view mirror even if it didn't have it's lights on.

If the truck was far enough back that the OP couldn't see it in the mirror, I just can't see a wayward tire catching up to the car and causing that kind of damage.

I think it was somebody playing on a bike with the lights out, but that's only a guess because the OP has left us all hanging. If the explanation isn't posted by the time I wake up, he's going on my **** list.

Evan
01-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Well, somebody caught up to him in 60 seconds.

Boostinjdm
01-18-2012, 04:10 AM
Well, somebody caught up to him in 60 seconds.

He did say that, but how far back would a truck have to be that you couldn't see it? How fast would that unseen truck have to be going to throw a tire and catch a car doing 55? I'm looking out my window right now and I can see the brake lights of cars turning about 6 miles away. Headlights are brighter. I can see when the guys show up to do chores at a friends house 3 miles away. During the day, I can see which truck they're driving. (Ok, I'll admit to using my binos to see which truck)

j.bain87
01-18-2012, 05:52 AM
You better believe a truck wheel can work loose, escape and assault god knows what. Lost wheels from a tri axle trailer once on a dirt road, all the bashing and crashing over the dirt and a nut must of been a bit loose and it don't take too long for the rest of them little blighters to follow, then pandaemonium, as it escaped.

Then again the funniest I saw, was a tyre that had worked loose from the spare tyre rack under a trailer, it just sort of popped straight up and took of down the road. There was a bit of camber on this road as it was a one way street in town and it made the footpath and was heading for a car show room windows.
Some idiot on the footpath decided to line it up and catch it, flattened him effortlessly, but he had managed to deflect it from the window and it ran into a parking meter and then skidded on it's side till it stopped.

One very moonlit night driving along and was a tad snoozy, an instant Adrenaline rush is flip the lights out and keep driving, your good for another hour at least after doing this.
Approaching the top of a hill and I can see headlights coming at me, so wait until car pops over the crest and hit the switch for the lights. WOW instant reaction from this turkey, he hauls the car to the side of the road in a cloud of dust and screeches to a halt.

As I flash by, I notice the red and blues on top, start sweating real bad and checking the mirrors but NO car follows AT ALL. Crest the next hill and can still see the headlights stationary where he had stopped.

To this day, I have no idea what went thru the mind of the officer, only conclusion I ever came to, was he must soiled his nappy and was too embarrassed to come and get me.

SGW
01-18-2012, 07:03 AM
I think post #24 probably has it right -- a car with no lights and a drunk driver. One time I was driving on the Massachusetts turnpike at night in fairly heavy traffic when a totally unlighted car passed me. I immediately slowed down as the car wove its way through the traffic in front of me, expecting a crash to happen at any second. About 10 seconds behind him came a state trooper in pursuit, and a short distance ahead I saw the car pulled over on an exit ramp, the driver out of the car and trying to stand up. That situation turned out well, but I can easily imagine that guy running into the back of me, and me not having a hint of what happened.

Weston Bye
01-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Encountering Genius - the thread title - has to be a clue to the mystery. A simple drunken fog doesn't qualify as genius.

J Tiers
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Well, Mr Bye probably has it.....

if the OP hasn't come back to explain........

THEN we are FORCED by the title to assume that HE, the OP, is HIMSELF the "genius" who managed to get the big dent in his car somehow....

No I can't give a method, but if HE wasn't responsible, why not come back and explain?

Maybe the cops caught up with him finally and he's in jail now awaiting bond for whatever it was about..... so of course he can't post anything.

let's see if THAT gets him out of the woodwork.......

vpt
01-18-2012, 08:50 AM
OP driving his toyota with day time driving lights and no tail lights while the other driver was driving by the light of the moon?

rmcphearson
01-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I figured it would be solved easily. I was just trying to create a little suspense, not an uproar.

The driver of the truck saw the bike whiz by him, did not notice a headlight on. His passenger was checking on genius who flew off to the right, landing in the grass. No tag, no insurance. He has no critical injuries, just broken bones. 27 years old.

My lights were on. The only thing I can figure is that he was admiring how fast he passed the truck, maybe turning to see it or giving a gesture, not looking ahead. We'll see how he tries to blame someone else.

Looking at the photos, keep in mind I was going 55 and I noticed today he made a skid mark about 15 yards long. I will not be suprised when they come up with a speed estimate. I will get the report from state troopers in a couple weeks. I will try to find out if he ever bothers to ask if he hurt or killed anyone.

A.K. Boomer
01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
that's a hell of an impact - that would freak anybody out,,,

he's lucky to be alive and your lucky you didn't get spun esp. it being off to one side like that...

Peter.
01-18-2012, 03:37 PM
That guy was lucky. My mate ran into the back of a car at nowhere near that speed and he's now in a wheelchair.

What happens now about the no insurance thing? Who will pay for your car?

winchman
01-18-2012, 04:07 PM
So, now they're going to charge YOU with leaving the scene of an accident involving injuries. In Alabama that trumps driving without lights, speeding, and not having insurance, doesn't it?

Evan
01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
He didn't leave the scene of the accident. He was just very careful about pulling over not knowing what condition the vehicle was in.

Most insurance policies include under insured motorist protection. How much it might cost to claim it is another matter. Damage like that is just about a write off.

Peter.
01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Looks like a write-off to me.

Over here we have the Motor Insurer's Bureau, who pay out on uninsured drivers and chase them up for the amount.

rmcphearson
01-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I had to stick around for over an hour to give my statement. The wife and I went to the hospital because we both had headaches, my neck was stinging and her right shoulder was sore. I got 3 hours sleep before going to work. She was hysterical at the scene because she thought he was dead. I was furious when I found out he wasn't. These sons of bitches take other peoples lives in their hands for a cheap thrill.

My insurance company will cover everything, then they will go after him.