PDA

View Full Version : material gloat

darryl
01-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Just picked up some nu-lustre 55 at a local store. This is a two part epoxy coating, good for coating virtually everything. Equivalent to 55 coats of varnish with one pour, so it says. I've used it to line steel tanks, laminate stuff together, secure windings in transformers and motors, make various cast parts from, etc. It remains slightly flexible after curing ie it's not brittle.

It begins to cure in about 3/4 hr, full cure is 24 hrs. Somewhere I read that after 30 days it's food safe. $30 got me 2 gallons of it- normally this amount would be about $200 to $240 where I live.

Shortly after seeing this, visions of polymer/granite machine bases popped into my head-

Toolguy
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
It remains slightly flexible after curing.

Shortly after seeing this, visions of polymer/granite machine bases popped into my head.

Great idea! You could build your own John Stevenson Bridgy with that stuff! :p

darryl
01-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I did think of the implications of the epoxy being flexible. Because the composite could be over 90% granite, I don't think there would be enough flex to be a problem. In fact, it may be a benefit.

Personally, I don't think a composite machine base should be made without including a steel framework within it. Threaded fastening points would be welded to this framework, and the composite would be cast surrounding this weldement. There might be enough give in the composite to handle the different expansion rate of the steel vs the composite.

I have no idea fixed in stone (sic) yet, so I'm planning to go over the entire epoxy/granite thread and soak up as much lernin as I can before I do anything.

I have made fiberglass parts using this epoxy, but nothing larger than about half a square foot in total area. Results have been good so far. One method of soaking the fiberglass cloth that I tried was to pour some epoxy, let it level out a bit, then just lay the cloth on top of it. The cloth does a slow sink as it wets out, which pretty much gets rid of the trapped air. Then you can pull the cloth out of the bath and apply it to a mold, or you skim out the excess epoxy and let the remainder level out and cure- depends on what the project is.

One test I did was to wet out some plastic laminate, lay some cloth onto that, then lay another wetted piece of laminate onto that. I laid this out on plate glass, and laid another piece of plate glass on top of the stack to make a flat sandwich material. This gave me a very strong but thin material, finished on both sides, for making jigs, etc. I'll be making more of that for future use.

With the volume of this epoxy that I now have, I won't be hesitating to find other uses for it.