PDA

View Full Version : Dro

bmw625
01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
I haven't heard anything about shooting star DRO's lately. anyone know if they are still in business?
bmw :)

loose nut
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
They where at Cabin Fever on the weekend and their web site is up.

http://star-techno.com

Rich Carlstedt
01-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes, They were at the show.
Bill was busy
Had a show special for $ 550 for a 2 axis DRO
Unlike the Chinese DRO's , you can clearly read the instruction manual, since the unit is made in Canada
Also, Bill speaks english .

Rich

Happy owner of a SS for over 10 years , with no problems

tdkkart
01-18-2012, 07:39 PM
They're on the list of one's I'm considering for my newly aquired Clausing lathe, I've had a 3-axis CBX on my mill for many years, never once missed so much as one beat.
I'm afraid they may be a bit behind the curve price wise. Used to be the CBX was a cheap, yet very good alternative to the $1200 "real" units on the market at the time. Seems to me mine ran me right at 1/2 what a 3 axis glass scale unit would have been at the time. With the advent of the $400 Chinese units available today it makes the choices a bit tougher again.
Alot of people will shy away from the "rack and pinion" scales that the CBX and BT systems use, however mine have worked flawlessly for many years while being admittedly less than adequately protected from swarf. I've never added any additional chip protection beyond teh stock plastic sleeving, and to my knowledge have never had any swarf cause a problem. yes, they only read to a .0005 resolution, but let's face it, any one of us that claims to be working to limits any tighter than that is full of it anyway.

bmw625
01-18-2012, 08:16 PM
They're on the list of one's I'm considering for my newly aquired Clausing lathe, I've had a 3-axis CBX on my mill for many years, never once missed so much as one beat.
I'm afraid they may be a bit behind the curve price wise. Used to be the CBX was a cheap, yet very good alternative to the $1200 "real" units on the market at the time. Seems to me mine ran me right at 1/2 what a 3 axis glass scale unit would have been at the time. With the advent of the $400 Chinese units available today it makes the choices a bit tougher again.
Alot of people will shy away from the "rack and pinion" scales that the CBX and BT systems use, however mine have worked flawlessly for many years while being admittedly less than adequately protected from swarf. I've never added any additional chip protection beyond teh stock plastic sleeving, and to my knowledge have never had any swarf cause a problem. yes, they only read to a .0005 resolution, but let's face it, any one of us that claims to be working to limits any tighter than that is full of it anyway.

yes,the lathe is what I'm wanting to do ! also if I can get close to that tolerance, I'll be happy ! :) I do see that DROpros have one http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Easson_Lathe_Digital_Readout.htm

that would fit the budget. decisions ! decisions !

bmw

randyjaco
01-18-2012, 08:35 PM
+1 for both Shooting Star and DROPros, both have great products and excellent documentation and service.

Randy