View Full Version : What is this tool used for

01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Was cleaning out some old cabinets and found this measuring tool.

No manufacture markings on the frame.

The max range is 1" but Im thinking its used for much thinner measurements. The tips separate when the two "horn" looking things are squeezed together..

I cant think of a use for and so might remove the indicator and toss the frame. Nice aluminum frame but it takes up too much room for something Ill prolly never use.

Any ideas... Thanks, JR




01-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Looks like a form of snap gauge to me. The fact that the anvil and the probe are adjustable and are sealed would infer that they are set to be a specific distance apart that the gauge is intended to measure parts from a production line of some sort and to indicate how far from the preset size they are. The shape of the arms suggest that it's made for a specific inspection job and the arms are made to clear part of the item to be measured

01-18-2012, 11:05 PM
You might call it a thickness gauge. I would leave it intact myself. Dial indicators are easy to come by, and the morning you trash it will be the day you actually need it in the afternoon.

01-18-2012, 11:35 PM
I was going to give a smart a** answer, "used to measure thickness of old vinyl LP records"...but that got me thinking music...could it have been used to measure the thickness of cymbals?
It just looks like its so you can reach up and over something or to the center of a fairly large object (don't know why I think in circles ;) )


maybe the thickness of bells? That way the up and over would make more sense, for those ^^^, it would not need to be nearly so "tall", would it?


really large drum brakes, but why would you need to measure so near the centers so that makes no sense to me...

01-18-2012, 11:43 PM
They make quite a range of those type instruments. Google schneiltaster, then click images:

01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
These are quite handy to measure over an obstruction. Imagine, for example, measuring the thickness of a guitar body through the sound hole.

01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Geez, don't trash them, just put them away somewere a great conversation piece.

01-19-2012, 09:58 PM
I cant think of a use for and so might remove the indicator and toss the frame.]

...we know how that story ends

it takes up too much room for something Ill prolly never use.

until the day after garbage day