PDA

View Full Version : My End Mill Gloat

Asmithrc
01-19-2012, 07:24 AM
I have a collection of HSS which is bigger than I thought. All are new, sharp regrinds or slightly used now that the BP is throwing chips. Here is the part that will make some sick to their stomachs. It was all FREE ! All legit and no five finger discounts.

I have shared the love by giving a good friend 60% of all my free lathe tooling, taps and deburring etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/asmithnc2004/WorkShop/Shop004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/asmithnc2004/WorkShop/Shop005.jpg

Lew Hartswick
01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
People like you just reinforce what my dad often said:
"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Obviously you fit the criteria. At least part of it. :-)
...Lew...

Boostinjdm
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I have shared the love by giving a good friend 60% of all my free lathe tooling, taps and deburring etc.

Do you need any more friends?:D

DR
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
So, what were the circumstances that made it all free?

All from the same source? Inheritance? Did someone a favor? Pulled it out of someone's scrap bin?

Asmithrc
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
So, what were the circumstances that made it all free?

All from the same source? Inheritance? Did someone a favor? Pulled it out of someone's scrap bin?

Great question. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.
1) Worked as a machinist and traveled the US and Europe building and installing machinery. The company did away with our group 3yrs. ago. Company owned Kennedy tool boxes (full) were given to us. I'm really not sure if they knew what was inside but I offered to take only my personal items. It has taps, drill bits, indicators, endmills, slitting saws, fly cutters, dead blows, wrenches, drills, etc you get the point.
2 months later I recieved a call at 8 am. Caller stated " if you want your BP it has to be picked up by 4:30p today only FREE." Pulled string (have great friends) got it.

2) Have family member ( wifes uncle) who gave me the rest of the end mills and lathe tooling.
3) The friend who I gave the lathe tooling..... I have the right to use it anythime until i get my own.

I consider myself lucky but the lose of a great, fun, exciting and great paying job is not worth all of the material suff above. But through hard work and a great wife everything work out. Not machining any more but Engineering.

I'm finished gloating not my style. Just typing makes me remember the above issue and thinking of all the other people out there struggling.