PDA

View Full Version : Bevel gears grease or oil ?

David S Newman
01-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I have an old Mikron (Swiss) mill the vertical head is driven via a pair of hardened bevel gears enclosed in the casing but readily exposed for lubrication, should these gears be oiled or greased ? I have been oiling them for years but they tend to whine a bit at speed, there is definately no wear in them still like new. David

SteveF
01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't know about those gears but the gears in a Bridgeport right angle head get greased with an NLGI 0 EP grease.

Steve

willmac
01-20-2012, 05:34 PM
David -

I don't know about your Mikron, but the vertical head on my Thiel has oil lubrication for the bevel gears, as I believe do all similar Deckel heads. Grease IS used on many of these heads but for the spindle bearings, not the gears.

If you have been using oil for many years with no wear, then I personally wouldn't worry about a slight whine. With the number of gears in mills like these there is always a bit of gear noise.

Has Tony at lathes.co.uk got a manual?

Black_Moons
01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
General rule of thumb if found is if its fast, oil, if its slow, grease :)

That said, I don't see a huge problem with using oil instead of grease in most applications other then having to apply it a lot more often since its so thin. The plus side is the constant application should help wash dirt and debrie out, where grease would trap it.

madman
01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
If slow yup Grease if fast Oil like a desmo angle drive.

JoeLee
01-20-2012, 07:12 PM
I use Zep 2000 on the open gears on my lathe quick change gear box and the bevel gears on the BP knee. The stuff works great and doesn't go flying off even at higher speeds.

JL.................

lane
01-20-2012, 07:50 PM
I would think something like 90weight gear oil would work fine.

darryl
01-20-2012, 08:19 PM
grease if slow, oil if fast, and sawdust if it's a worn out rear end in a car you want to get rid of :)