PDA

View Full Version : ER32 collet length

PTSideshow
01-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Just got a ER32 collect chuck for my wood lathe, It came with 5 basic size collets. I sell that most places sell the ER32's The question I have is if you have them from different manufacturers Will the length of the collets and the outside diameters all be the same from the assorted makers?
My only experience with collets was in high school, and there were USAAC surplus!
:D

uncle pete
01-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Glen,
If these are collets made to the tollerances specified for ER collets, Then yes they will fit. The Collet angle, Large and small end size, and position and sizes of the groove that snaps into the collet nut are all specified to pretty tight tollerances.

If you've never used ER's before? There's a trick to using them. The collet nut gets removed from the chuck. The collet is inserted into the nut on a angle till part of the collet groove is hooked by the removal ring inside the nut. The collet is then pushed into alignment with the nut. The collet will just snap into place. Removing the collet from the nut is just the reverse.

Pete

PTSideshow
01-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks,yes I read about the inserting, with all the assorted flavors of ER numbers and types of collets it is hard to tell from the photo's on line and in the catalogs of course they don't give anything to compare them to :D

uncle pete
01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Glen,
Yeah I know your exact point all to well. Since collets like these fall under (I believe) a DIN specification. It would be nice if the manufacturers and suppliers would list "These collets conform to DIN specification no. ******". For any collet or product that is built to those specs. It would be a much easier way to make a buying decision in my opinion.

Pete

Ryobiguy
01-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Since collets like these fall under (I believe) a DIN specification. It would be nice if the manufacturers and suppliers would list "These collets conform to DIN specification no. ******".

Isn't that implied by calling them ER32?

uncle pete
01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Sadly no. It's like the sales pitch saying in the Grizzly catalog vice write up, "Use this for your best work" Yet a previous post on this forum shows just how wrong that can be. Implied is no guarantee today that what your buying is in fact what your going to get. Gimme the hard numbers, And if it then doesn't conform to those numbers I can send it back. "High Quality, High Accuracy" are a relitive term, To what? Carpentry, Blacksmithing, Horse Shoes?

For higher cost items and to use collets for example, You can buy ER collets from a company like Bison and you know exactly what your getting. It's the cheaper suppliers where you've got to be a bit careful. So I understand and agree about why the OP asked the question.

I've got a couple of digital calipers I got for free and I posted about them previously. Factory quoted accuracy is better than Mitutoyo's or Starrett's +-.001, Yet they drag and hang up on the poorly ground surfaces so bad the accuracy specs are impossible. I'd guess +-.020 If I'd bought them? I'd be shipping them back.

Pete

sasquatch
01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
PTSideshow,,, by chance is this the set you bought from "Lee Valley" tools?

Their set i see is threaded 1-8tpi and is around $200.00 ?

PTSideshow
01-21-2012, 07:57 PM
PTSideshow,,, by chance is this the set you bought from "Lee Valley" tools?

Their set i see is threaded 1-8tpi and is around $200.00 ?
Nope it is the set for $89.00 5 collets and an adapter The Apprentice™ Collet Chuck is designed to hold small work
woodturnerscatalog.com (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Collet___Apprentice_Collet_Chuck___app_co llet?Args=)
It came today and appears to be nice made, in the blow molded fitted case.
:D

sasquatch
01-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Geez, that is a reasonable price for sure.

The "Beal" set advertised is almost the same as Lee Valley has but a different appearing chuck. (And almost the same price.)

lakeside53
01-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Sadly no. It's like the sales pitch saying in the Grizzly catalog vice write up, "Use this for your best work" Yet a previous post on this forum shows just how wrong that can be. Implied is no guarantee today that what your buying is in fact what your going to get. Gimme the hard numbers, And if it then doesn't conform to those numbers I can send it back. "High Quality, High Accuracy" are a relitive term, To what? Carpentry, Blacksmithing, Horse Shoes?

Pete

Hmmm... if you buy from Grizzly why would they be "perfect". Why would they give you numbers, and if they did, why would you believe them?

They sell cheaply; you get what you pay for.

uncle pete
01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Lakeside,
That's exactly why I don't. And your 100% right about getting what you pay for. Without those hard numbers that the manufacter and dealer will put in writing I don't buy any more. It's too expensive. And nothing is ever perfect. It's just how close can you measure or check what you've bought.

One supprise? At least to me anyway. The last lathe I bought and the only one I've bought that had a test certificate with it. My test numbers came out slightly better than what was on the certificate.

Pete

dp
01-21-2012, 09:22 PM
http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/colletmill.html

PTSideshow
01-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Geez, that is a reasonable price for sure.

The "Beal" set advertised is almost the same as Lee Valley has but a different appearing chuck. (And almost the same price.)
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/Wood%20turning/WT30.jpg

Here is the kit as it comes, this one is 1"8TPI with an adapter for 3/4"16 I believe. haven't had a chance other than to look it over it is nicely made! :D

sasquatch
01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
PT i noticed that came with both the 1-8TPI and the 3/4-16,,pretty sure the Lee Valley set only comes with the 1-8.

Yes, pretty decent looking set.

Thanks for showing that.