PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a B&S #9 Arbor?

Henro
01-21-2012, 06:27 PM
For a Vernon Horizontal Mill....

Hi...

I lucked upon (I think) a nice Vernon horizontal mill a couple months ago.

It has a short arbor, but nothing to match the over-arm support length. I would like to find a longer 1" arbor (maybe a 7/8 and 1&1/4 too), that is a #9 B&S taper. No sure how except maybe to try to watch Ebay for who knows how long?

Can anyone point me to a source of a reasonably priced arbor for this application? I paid $375 for the mill in very good shape, so I don't really want to pay an arm and a leg for an arbor, if you know what I mean. I did buy a set of end mill holders from Tools4cheap that look good.

I still need to get a VFD for the mill too...costs do add up...approaching retirement...so many reasons not to spend too much for a retirement hobby!

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or pointers!

Bill

Rich Carlstedt
01-21-2012, 07:01 PM
You may want to get a 1" endmill holder and add a 1" piece of TGP ( turned, ground & polished) to it and make your own arbor.

go to
www.travers.com/
then enter
Brown and Sharpe

The endmill holders will come up.

Finding #9 is not the easiest in todays modern market. Keep trying

The Mill you have was a Diamond Mill during the war, and they sold it to Vernon. Then it became a Sheldon Mill , when Vernon sold out in 1959 (?)

I had a Diamond years ago.
I have the Sheldon parts list if you want a copy...just PM me

Rich

SGW
01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Such a thing can be made, but it would certainly be easier to buy one. Here in New England, two well-known used machinery dealers are www.plazamachinery.com in Bethel, VT, which is a long way from anywhere unless you live in central VT, and www.brothersmachinery.com/ in North Andover, MA right off route 495. Shipping on an arbor would not be exorbitant, however, so location is fairly irrelevant.

[edit:] As usual, Rich has a good idea about how to make one.

RussZHC
01-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Not that it really matters, but from what I have seen, there has been a bit more B&S tooling on EBay this past week or two...not sure if such is cyclical or not...5C collets w B&S interior tapers, MT with B&S taper cutters on the other end...that sort of thing...hope some if its still there if I end up with a given mill later in spring

Henro
01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info....I really appreciate it! Great help!

Rich,

I was wondering where I could get an endmill holder... I did buy a set from Tools4cheap but the largest was 7/8"... the travers.com site has a 1" which will be perfect for my needs if I make the arbor myself. Thanks for that link!!!

I did download two parts lists for the Sheldon machines and have them printed out. Thanks for the offer!

SGW

Thanks for those links. I will be in touch with those guys to see what they might have available.

RussZHC.... I have been keeping an eye on eBay and will continue to do so. I am not seeing much available that is #9 B&S taper, but hopefully I will get something one way or another...either by making something myself as Rich suggested, or by finding something ready to use...

Again, thanks for the info!

Bill

Andrew_D
01-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I second the motion of using an endmill holder to hold a piece of ground shaft. The shaft can also be found with a keyway already cut. Just cut/grind a weldon flat in the end to be held in the endmill holder and modify the other end for your over-arm.

This is basically what I plan on doing for my mill (45 taper).

Andrew

Jbar
09-05-2018, 05:23 PM
You may want to get a 1" endmill holder and add a 1" piece of TGP ( turned, ground & polished) to it and make your own arbor.

go to
www.travers.com/
then enter
Brown and Sharpe

The endmill holders will come up.

Finding #9 is not the easiest in todays modern market. Keep trying

The Mill you have was a Diamond Mill during the war, and they sold it to Vernon. Then it became a Sheldon Mill , when Vernon sold out in 1959 (?)

I had a Diamond years ago.
I have the Sheldon parts list if you want a copy...just PM me

Rich

Know this is an old post but I just purchased a Vernon model no. 0 mill. It has no arbor. Do you know the length of the arbor? I'll probably make one of my own. Reason I ask is it also is missing the overarm support and overarm bracket; so I'll be making those also.

Rich Carlstedt
09-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Jbar

The arbor is 9 or 9-1/2" but 1-1/2 or 2" of that is used for the Support Bushing/Bearing that runs in the Arbor Support.
The effective arbor length for cutters is 7 1/2" Plus the Bushing ( 1-1/2" or 2" )and then the Locking thread/nut
They used 3/4, 7/8, and 1" Arbors on that machine.
terrific mill !

Rich
Not sure of the model number "0" as i didn't have a name plate, but pretty sure it is the same.

Oh, by the way, B & S # 9 tooling is available at Victor Machinery

https://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/B-and-S-Taper-Tooling/410.html

Rich Carlstedt
09-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Jbar
Second comment, since you may have to build your own Arbor, consider this.
You could find a inexpensive arbor for another machine, like this

https://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/20012/category_id/18045/product_name/RDX+Style+B+Milling+Machine+Arbor

and either hard turn the taper to a #9 , or slice it off and put it in a collet , which would shorten the arbor to a more manageable size.
If you use a collet, I would cross drill the two pieces together with a carbide endmill and then pin it permanently. You would also want to cross-drill a collar next to the collet as a shoulder so tightening the cutters does not counteract the drawbar force.
buying a commercial arbor gives you all the spacers/collars and you don't have to worry about getting a banana shaft from cutting a keyway.
Rich

J Tiers
09-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Making an arbor is really not that hard to do. Easier if the arbor and the lathe taper match, but not that hard.

You will certainly want 7/8" and 1", and I would add a 1 1/4", because you may find cutters for that size, and they may not be large ones. The 7/8" will come in handy for gear cutters.

So far I have not needed a 3/4" for my mill, (which is not a Vernon). the brand of mill does not determine what arbor size you need, the cutters do. I bought several buckets of cutters from a shop years ago for 50 bucks after I got a Lewis mill, and the three sizes of 7/8, 1", and 1 1/4" are all I have needed.

I made the 7/8" and 1 1/4", the 1" came with the mill.