PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Gantry Wheels?

cijuanni
01-22-2012, 12:04 AM
I am looking for some 8" diameter wheels for my 1 ton Gantry project.

Should have brakes and steering locking notches at 90 degrees.

Anybody, know where to find them?

winchman
01-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Eight inch seems like overkill. The wheels on a HF 40493 two-ton trolley are 4.75", and they're shaped to fit the flange of an I-beam.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11245.jpg

I used HF only because they're typical in design to others and the picture/description was readily available.

You may be able to find some with gears on the flanges, which are intended for trolleys with a chain drive arrangement.

Davo J
01-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Not to take your topic off track, but something I have been wondering is does anyone know why the newer beam trolleys don't come out with bolt on axles for the wheels? And has anyone had one apart to tell me how they are held on?
I have picked up a few older models and the wheels are all mounted on shafts with threads on the end and a nut on the outside, but I notice all the new ones look to have the shaft welded in (though no welds can be seen in the photos like above). It's not only on the low cost ones either.
It would make it a pain to use the wheels on other things like I have without having to make up new axles for them.

Dave

Forrest Addy
01-22-2012, 03:26 AM
I think we're talking casters under the A frames so the gantry hoist can be rolled around the shop. The orange gizmo is a hoist trolley designed to roll on the flanges of a beam.

I suggest you check in with caster suppliers found in the yellow pages in your nearest larger city. Shop carefuly and you can save many bucks.

Look for examplse and language here in this Google search result: http://www.google.com.bz/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=heavy+duty+caster+with+brake&gbv=2&oq=heavy+duty+caster+&aq=1&aqi=g4g-v1g-j4g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1859l21672l0l31000l18l17l0l0l0l0l672l4561l4-2.6l8l0.

Don't shy from Korean casters. I've found their casters very satisfactory.

Do you intend to transport loads with it? Get oversized casters if you do. Casters loaded to their limits don't always roll freely or swivel when you want them to. Do not use rubber or urethane wheels for heavy loads. These are hernial wheels. They get very hard to roll under load and often take a set if left stationalry for a time. Cast iron or steel may deface concrete but rigid phenolic is gentler, plenty stout, and rolls freely.

winchman
01-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Of course, Forrest is correct. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/icons/icon11.gif

flylo
01-22-2012, 07:09 AM
If your talking wheels on the floor to move the Gantry I have 4 new steel wheels,if you mean the trolley to move the hoist I have a new 5 ton Jet I think have 8" wheels. I'm off to p/u a 100HP electric motor but PM me I'll be back this afternoon. Thanks! Eric

Jim Shaper
01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Surplus Center has done well by me for casters.

cijuanni
01-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Yes, I mean the casters.

I live in Billyville so there is no local caster place, so it will have to be via the internet and shipping.

I have looked at Surplus Center, unfortunately their 8" casters don't have a very high load rating.
And they don't have anything in a larger caster.

If my crane is 2000lbs capacity, weighs 500lbs or so, may have an offset load and tossing in something for the safety of ME being underneath it......
A load rating of 1000lbs minimum each would be nice.

Phenolic would also be best.

Jim Shaper
01-22-2012, 09:14 AM
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-1782-S&catname=wheels

Doesn't have the brakes or locks, but would get you something to work with. You could add a lock and brake to the yoke pretty easily.

hardtail
01-22-2012, 10:25 AM
We have this outlet up here, these usually go on sale for around $27 ea, come fixed, swivel, or swivel with brake, not sure if I would put swivel on all or just half.........notice the load capacity.......I have these on mine.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/2040291/Poly/8%22-Poly/Steel-Swivel-Caster-with-Brake

rollin45
01-22-2012, 11:09 AM
I have bought several sets of casters from these folks, they have a pretty large selection.

http://www.castercity.com/

rollin'

metalmagpie
01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Faced with this identical problem, in 2006 I checked with all of Seattle's caster supply houses. I no longer remember any details, but I do know I got 8" steel casters which have retractable pins to either lock a wheel's orientation or allow it to swivel, for $121.50 back then. It was a major part of the cost of my gantry, actually, but it is critical.

One thing I recently did was to weld a solid member parallel to the ground between the gantry's legs on one side, including jack screws made of 1.25-7 allthread, along with a pair of feet. My driveway is sloped slightly sideways, between 1.5 and 2" over 10 feet, and it was a pain to get the gantry level. And with today's ball bearing rolling trolleys, that means every load wanted to roll sideways downhill. So do design it so you can level the beam along its axis.

Another note: my gantry's beam is designed to raise and lower. It has 3-1/2" square steel uprights that ride in 4" square steel leg verticals, secured by pins like engine hoist parts. I wound up buying a Genie Superlift just to raise and lower the beam, or to erect the gantry in the first place. I looked at the system HF uses on their el cheapo gantry and wasn't impressed.

metalmagpie

CCWKen
01-22-2012, 11:47 PM
I took this picture when I was building the FEL for the Kenbota but it barely shows a caster and wheel lock I use on my Gantry. It's the only picture I could find that shows the casters. I made two "chocks" (one for each side of the Gantry) that holds it in place. Pretty simple construction and I was able to use standard cast iron casters--Read cheap.

To make:
Lay two pieces of angle iron, V down, on each side of a wheel at the tread.
Tack-weld a piece of 1" flat across the ends, on one side, of the angle iron.

The configuration will look similar to this: A---A
I just place the chocks to lock the Gantry in place and pull the chocks to move it. Simple, quick and rock steady.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Projects/FEL/FEL-Frame-01.jpg

jugs
01-23-2012, 12:09 PM
I am looking for some 8" diameter wheels for my 1 ton Gantry project.

Should have brakes and steering locking notches at 90 degrees.

Anybody, know where to find them?

Yes,

where are you ??

cijuanni
01-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Yes,

where are you ??

In Montana, USA,,,, 65 miles outside of Missoula.

EVguru
01-23-2012, 01:31 PM
How about this for an approach.

A caster has the pivot axis and the wheel offset so it will align with the direction of travel. Instead make an assembly where the axes coincide. To change the direction in which the wheel is pointed insert a bar and pull it round. It might be desirable to include some means of locking the angle and perhaps of linking a pair of wheel on the same end of the gantry.