• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmc_31
    • Sep 2008

Which dial indicator to buy?

Hi guys,

Well I did it, I wrecked my 20 year old Fowler dial indicator yesterday . I don't think it is worth fixing.

So, I would appreciate some guidance as to what to replace it with. Mostly I use it to dial in work on my 4 jaw. I built a mount so I could use it in my qctp. I prefer an analog indicator for this over an electronic. My old Fowler was a 1" indicator with .001 graduations and 100 graduations per revolution. This worked pretty well for me except that I would rather have one with .0005 graduations and 50 graduations per rev.

My question is, what brand DI would you recommend and why?

I have read through Long Island Indicator's comparasion of manufacturers and other than BestTest (Brown & Sharp) they don't seem to like anybody much.

So, what say you my friends?

Regards,

Tim
  • 38_Cal
    • Dec 2007

I use a couple of Starrett 196 back plunger dial indicators when setting up rifle barrels in the four jaw and spider, indicating on dowel pins in the bore. One is on a magnetic base on the cross slide, the spider unit is clamped onto a piece of 1/2x1" flat stock bolted to the lathe body.

David
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• David Powell
      • Jun 2008

I have a few but---

I have a number of indicators, some expensive that live mainly in their boxes only to be brought out for the odd ' special' job. I usually buy cheap Chinese made ones( Busy Bee have a sale 12$ at the moment ) and have them in all sorts of places, some on magnets, some in qctp blocks, some mounted on slotted angle iron to read drilling depth on tailstocks and drill quills.Over the years I have killed a couple and burned a couple of plastic lenses----- but I dont cry when I have done so. I know they are really comparators and are not ( Unless calibrated) measuring instruments as such but , so far, they have proved fully adequate for the work I undertake and the hobby I enjoy.regards David Powell.

Comment

• justanengineer
        • Nov 2010

Long Island wont give you much of an opinion bc their business is repairing ALL brands of indicators. Stating opinions to them could possibly lose them money from owners of their non-preferred brands.

Regarding indicators, Im a big fan of Interapids, but any of the common brands should do you fine. Im also not a big fan of any of the "cheap" measuring tools except in situations where accuracy and repeatability might not matter.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer
          Regarding indicators, Im a big fan of Interapids, but any of the common brands should do you fine. Im also not a big fan of any of the "cheap" measuring tools except in situations where accuracy and repeatability might not matter.
          Interrapids are quite good as are Brown & Sharpe, Tesa and Mitutoyo. I have some USA made Starrett and Fowler which are excellent, but Starrett has off shored a lot of its production to China.

Ditto on the cheap measuring tools.

Comment

• loose nut
            • Sep 2006

Check out this page it has a good comparison, good or bad and why, of indicators at the bottom.

Dial indicator brand comparison including Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, Federal, and Mahr.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• Mcgyver
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dr Stan
              Interrapids are quite good as are Brown & Sharpe, Tesa and Mitutoyo. I have some USA made Starrett and Fowler which are excellent, but Starrett has off shored a lot of its production to China.

Ditto on the cheap measuring tools.
              Offshore is not the same outsourcing. If its a Starrett plant in china (vs buying from a third party), they've just as good a chance at quality as Mitutoyo does in Brazil.....Its a world of difference from outsourcing where you are simply buying from a third party and do not own or control production or the plant. Nothing wrong with the quality of what Apple makes in China.

Fowler is a brand and they ARE outsourced - worst of both worlds. They have the quality challenges of outsourcing yet they charge several times for the for often identical no name item.

Ditto on the ditto. The Swiss are all good as are starretts and mit. I've always sought good used one from the developed world: Starrett, Mit, Brown & Sharpe, Mercer, Helios, Compaq, Interapid, Verdict, Mahr, etc . If it moves freely, looks well cared for and made in England, Switzerland, USA, German, Japan, it'll likely be ok. Verdict are probably the ones i grab for first, for some reason, perhaps not logical, they're just comfortable to use.

PS. I doubt none of us know indicators like Long Island; who here is familiar with the specific parts of 40 different makes? Our knowledge is superficial in comparison. Otoh, their world may be jaded, they see the worst of the worst, the abused and the very used. I don't think I've ever had a quality indicator that needed repair: maybe luck, maybe care, maybe that the average indicator sees 1% of the use compared to the heavily used ones sent there. Point being, the applicability of their extensive knowledge and ratings might be more for they guys who's going to drop it ten times, ram it into things or indicate 40 hours a week....I have and have used all the above brands and not experienced a problem.
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM.
              located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• tmc_31
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by justanengineer
                Long Island wont give you much of an opinion bc their business is repairing ALL brands of indicators. Stating opinions to them could possibly lose them money from owners of their non-preferred brands.

Actually they (Long Island Instruments) give a manufactures comparison chart that is pretty detailed (and opinionated) for brands that they sell and/or service. They don't service all brands of indicators, only ones that (in their opinion are worth repairing). I have looked at their chart for dial indicators. While I appreciate and value their opinion, there is a wealth of experience and opinion on this board too that I highly value. And so I pose the question to the members of this forum.

I have always been a fan of Starrett tools but LII does not rate them very highly. They (Starrett) seem to fall in about the middle of the comparison chart.

Tim

Comment

• TGTool
                  • Aug 2005

I have an Interapid that I've used for years and like. One of the features that first sold me on it was that you can get long indicator points and read the graduations as .001 instead of .0005. Being able to reach in a long ways has sometimes been a godsend. The principle should apply to anything else if you can find double length points that will fit. OTOH, as has been mentioned they're used most often as a null device rather than an accurate measure so a pointer of any length will work if you're just looking for zero runout.
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• tmc_31
                    • Sep 2008

After looking around a bit, I find myself leaning towards the Starret 25-631J.
                    Anyone have experience with this indicator, yay or nay?

Tim

Comment

• motorworks
                      • May 2002

Hi
                      Unless you need super....
                      Go with a 1/4" dial Teclock (japan)
                      or just a 1/4" travel "made in china"
                      Great for all general work...
                      e2die
                      ps 1/4 travel has a nicer tighter feel...
                      please visit my webpage:
                      http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

• sasquatch
                        • May 2006

Motorworks, you have a nice site there, with some nice work.

Comment

• alanganes
                          • Jul 2006

When speaking about expensive vs cheaper dial indicators, I have always liked the quote from someone in one of the news letter articles posted online by one of the home shop clubs that said something like:

"...the truth is that they both make pretty much the same sound when they drop onto a concrete floor. Only the owner sounds different."

Sorry I can't credit the original author. Not much help, I know, but a fun remark...

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                            Offshore is not the same outsourcing. If its a Starrett plant in china (vs buying from a third party), they've just as good a chance at quality as Mitutoyo does in Brazil.....Its a world of difference from outsourcing where you are simply buying from a third party and do not own or control production or the plant. Nothing wrong with the quality of what Apple makes in China.
                            I'm more than just a little familiar with the differences between offshoring & outsourcing. As to the quality coming out of Chinese plants, including those "owned" by the name brands, we'll just have to civilly agree to disagree.

Comment

• JCHannum
                              • Nov 2001

The Starrett 25 Series are top quality, made in USA AGD dial indicators. Most of the advice given has been centered around dial test indicators, a different animal.

You won't go too far wrong with the 25-631J if that is what you want, although it is a bit pricey for general shop use. It is 1" range with 0.0005" grads.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X